How does Travel Insurance work re: HAL's cancellation?

Oregoncruisergal

We're still working with HAL and our TA to see if we can switch Grandma's 80th b'day trip for 16 passengers from the cancelled Veendam (Tampa) to the Westerdam (Ft.L) on 3/22/09 during grandkids' Spring Break. Thanks to yesterday's responses for your advice! :confused:Forgive the naive question, but would Travel Insurance have helped to cover our extra airfare costs due to HAL's change? Still available to us at this point? Not sure yet what HAL will be willing to do for us - clock's ticking and we're worried about getting air at all. Carnival's still a choice from Tampa. Any advice for what to do at this point? Any ideas on how to get HAL to make a commitment more quickly?

Jill in Oregon

I doubt travel insurance would have covered this. Most policies don't cover the airlines' change fees ... in fact, they generally don't cover anything due to the fault of the airlines. It is just too risky with the state of the airline industry right now.

But ... it is specifically in a situation such as this that having a good TA becomes very important.

She should be on the phone with HAL telling them that this booking is contingent on them picking up the airfare change fees for the entire group of 16. Otherwise, the booking is going to another cruise line.

I'm willing to bet HAL will anty up since it was they who cancelled your original cruise.

And, if your TA seems hesitant to advocate on your behalf with HAL, I would just mention to her that the group is seriously considering just bagging the whole trip. A booking for 16 people is a very big deal to her, believe me. As she sees her significant commission on this booking going down the toilet (she is only paid by the cruise line AFTER you sail), I'll bet she'll get very proactive with HAL, taking your request up as high as she can ... including to her district sales manager at HAL. My money is on her meeting with success in getting HAL to take care of those charges for you.

Blue skies and let us know what happens.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived