Spirit HK-Istanbul

Dorinda

Hi Dee,

In Khasab we took a ships excursion (4WD to Jebel Harin), I think the other option was the dhow but we decided to see some of the country instead. We ended up in the mountains with good views etc but only about 20 people went but there were only 4 passengers per 4WD and there were plenty of stops for photo ops. It will be very dusty though. There isn't much of a town at Khasab.

In Muscat we arranged a private fellow to take us to the fort, hot springs and the mosque etc. The souk closed early when we were there and I missed out on getting any shopping. The sultans private yacht was in port and it was bigger than the Spirit.

Also find out if you gave an Arabian evening, they did one for the first time when we were on and you will need to buy some thing along the way.

Jean

PS we arranged a private tour for Hoi An, it is too far to just take a taxi.

You can take a taxi to Hoi An. Take the shuttle, walk a block or two to the river and negotiate for a cab. Four of us got one for the whole day at $15pp. You don't need a tour in Hoi An as all sights are readily accessible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, We were on the Spirit over Christmas/New Year - as always

10/10 for Seabourn.

Re: Shuttles - yes they have them at every port.

Recommend dinner in the Rex Hotel - we booked our own and could not

believe how reasonable it was and the price included entertainment.

Hope to see you on board at the end of March.

Surfersgirl and jagi - belated thank yous for the port info and the heads up on the Arabian Evening.

And Miss Jet Set - yes, we'll look forward to meeting you on board. Actually, how do Cruise Critic folk get to know each other on Seabourn? Are there ever CC meetings?

Another question...how is the Spirit library? I was only planning to bring only 4 books. Have you found the library selection to be adequate? Should I bring more for a 50 days cruise? Is there a book exchange shelf?

Just a couple of weeks now...can't wait!

Cheers, Dee

Hi Dorinda,

I have never heard of a CC Club on board but then I have only discovered it

recently.Re the Library - it is not the best but because I have been on the Spirit

often I have read most of the ones I want and I know from experience any new

ones are left by the passengers.

So if I was you I would bring quite a few expecially as you are going to be on for

so long.

I am sure I will have no trouble recognizing you.

If you have not been on the Spirit before you are going to love it.

Miss Jet Set.

I have been on both the Pride and the Spirit, and have found both libraries to be great. They are very small but I and my husband have both found plenty to read while onboard, and we do a LOT of reading while onboard. I only carry two books with me, then leave them in the libray when I have finished....as do most other people. You need to look in the underneath cupboards for all the "left" paperbacks, not on the shelves. The only other ship I have ben on is Rhapsody of the Seas....that had a beautiful Library.......but NO books!! :eek: Pride and Spirit had far more books in a tiny little space.

To meet the other CC'ers onboard, someone just has to set a time and place and everyone gathers and introduces themselves. Often, it's right after the lifeboat drill either port or starboard at the Sky Bar. With rain, plan something for the Constellation Lounge.

No roses between the teeth and a copy of the Times under the arms are needed.

Hi Dee, There isn't a book exchange shelf, passengers just leave the books they have finished with on a table and there is a good selection on the shelves anyway. There is also a good selection of DVDs there as well.

J

Thanks for all the info on the book situation on the Spirit. I have found the names of a couple of interesting used book stores in HK. As we will be there a couple of days before boarding I think we will try to find them and buy a few more books that we can leave on board.

And Granny Lorr - I will certainly have a look in those underneath cupboards!

And now another question...is it possible to get a box lunch to take when going off the ship on a private tour? Has anyone done this before? There are times when we don't want to spend the time lunching ashore - or taking a chance on the food.

Cheers!

Dee

I have taken a box lunch with me, on a private car tour in Guatemala. I asked for a ham and cheese sandwich, figuring it travels well. Seabourn makes theirs with tomatoes; it was a soggy mess by the time I went to eat it. So, be specific. I also asked for extra cookies and shared them with the driver and guide.

we have also had a box lunch......were renting a car for the day in St Barts, so thought a picnic on the beach would be nice! We asked for egg sandwiches, but were told we couldnt have eggs......so pretty well left it up to whoever was making the lunch! Think we got the same as Jane, but must have eaten ours earlier so they werent too soggy! :D Of course there will be some places you visit that you wont be allowed to take food off the ship......

I have no idea why anyone could possibly be getting excited about a Seabourn cruise!! ;) I am starting to regret my next one will be so short! Wish I had added a few more back to backs......too late now......everything else is booked.....:(

Great - sounds like box lunches are indeed possible - even if they are a bit soggy!

Thanks!

Dee

(getting pretty excited about his upcoming cruise - can you tell?):D

Yes indeed!

Suellyn and I board in HK if you recall another thread that I started with questions about shore excursions, one that you picked up on.

I look forward to staying ashore the whole day in every port possible, even through dinner when we have an overnight - "Saigon" and Bangkok. I am not so sure about Hanoi as we dock hours away.

I have heard that the ship is full, not too shabby in this Dep/recession.

Ted

Great - sounds like box lunches are indeed possible - even if they are a bit soggy!:D

You can get what you want, just write it out. No need for soggy sammies. Also, I prefer bananas over apples.

OK Jane - I'll "write it out!"

Ted and Suellyn - Will look for you in HK. We are also looking forward to our time ashore (and on the ship!) and dinner out in Saigon. We also want to have lunch at a favorite Indian restaurant in Singapore - really hot vindaloo!!!:eek:

Yes, on the Seabourn site it looked like all suites are waitlisted...

Back to packing!

Dee

OK Jane - I'll "write it out!"

Ted and Suellyn - Will look for you in HK. We are also looking forward to our time ashore (and on the ship!) and dinner out in Saigon. We also want to have lunch at a favorite Indian restaurant in Singapore - really hot vindaloo!!!:eek:

Yes, on the Seabourn site it looked like all suites are waitlisted...

Back to packing!

Dee

Dee

We had our honeymoon on Seabourn back when the line was relatively new (and we were less gray, more slim & trim), and with a few more in the interim but never on the Spirit.

Ted

Hi,

Found this just today. We, Dick and Carolyn, will arrive in Hong Kong in the morning and begin our trek across Asia and Africa, then join you all in Dubai.

This will be our first time on Seabourn and we are really looking forward to the cruise to Istanbul!

Hope you will keep posting on what is happening and your plans for the Dubai to Istanbul leg, plus any tips on the ports.

See you!

Happy cruising!

Archived