Tendering to Grand Cayman

mmpadp

My husband and I are cruising for the first time to the western Caribbean. We are not necessarily interested in excursions, but like walking tours, and getting to know the city or port. Does anyone know of good places to walk to on Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios, Jamaica? Is there a fee to tender to Grand Cayman, or is that included in your port fee?

My husband and I are cruising for the first time to the western Caribbean. We are not necessarily interested in excursions, but like walking tours, and getting to know the city or port. Does anyone know of good places to walk to on Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios, Jamaica? Is there a fee to tender to Grand Cayman, or is that included in your port fee?

No fee to tender. I walked all over Caymen but be careful where you walk in Ocho Rios.

I am not sure about Grand Caymen, but be careful in Ocho Rios. Jamaica is beautiful, but there are some areas that are not so great to venture to. When we left our resort (we stayed on the island for a week) we were always with a guide. They kept us out of the not so great areas. Maybe you will be able to find a guided tour type excursion to go on.

Grand Cayman is a nice port to explore to walk. Just watch the traffic

down town. As the narrow streets in the shopping can be a little dangerous

if you are not careful.

We really love Grand cayman port. There much to do or just to enjoy its

very nice view.

Grand cayman can be very windy. To a point where you man not be able

to tender. We have been there 3 times and been lucky to have great weather

all 3 times.

Here a pic of the ship while tendering.

2603199710102406380S600x600Q85.jpg

:)Mmpadp,

When you arrive in Grand Cayman there is no fee to tender, that's included in your cruise. At GC there will be many shops for you to walk through & check out their merchandise. I have never done a walking tour there so I can't say where to go.

In Ocho Rios you probably wont want to venture out on your own much past the point where all the taxi's are by the cruise dock. My first time there we took a cab ride/tour around the island with a very kind & polite cab operator. If you think you might be interested in a day pass at an all inclusived resort while at Ocho Rios you can spend the day at The Sunset Grande Jamaica Beach Resort which is right near the cruise ship dock. We spent the day here on our last trip there and enjoyed it very much. You would have use of everything there at the resort, pools, hot tubs, loungers, scuba equip, aqua cycles, ocean kayaks, buffet breakfast & lunch and alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages. I believe we paid about $50. or $60. per person, it was a great place to spend the day.

in Grand Caymen can sometimes be pretty long returning to the ship, but they tend to move well. Caymen is a great place to shop and look around but I would be very, very cautious in Ocho Rios. Be sure to take a cruise sanctioned side trip there if you can!

Ocho Rios is not the place to idly wander -- be sure to remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings. Crime can be bad there. I actually read that many cruise lines like RCL are giving up on Ocho Rios and going to Roatan instead. Having been to Roatan, I think that is a good move.

On our trip to Ocho Rios, we went on a ship sponsored trip to a private beach club. That was ok. The second half of the trip was to the Falls. I actually asked the guide and she consented and dropped my son and I off back at the ship enroute to the Falls. I had had enough of Jamaica. If I go back there again, I think I will just stay on the ship!:cool:

We just got back from Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. We walked around in Ocho Rios, we walked out passed the taxis and out the gate and took a ten minute walk to the left and down to Island Village, this is where there are a lot of shops and where Margaritaville is. There we went on the beach and rented a jet ski, laid on the beach, had lunch, etc etc...then when we were done we walked back the same way to the ship. Many, many people were walking the same way too and there were no problems at all. The walk was 10 minutes or less.

Archived