Last minute flying

bahama daydreamer

This question isn't about going on a cruise but since I've gotten alot of help in the past for my cruise I figured this was a good place to go for advice. My husband and I are going to be flying to Missouri when our daughter goes into labor. Since we can't book our flight ahead of time, what's our best route for getting decent airfare.

Thanks

Congrats! About to be grandparents! Hope all goes well.

The question about the airflights is going to take you some work. From where to where? How far in advance now? What is the usual difference between having a week or two in advance to book and doing it with no waiting period. Greater than the $150 they usually charge for changes?

Do you have FF miles available? they are often easiest and cheapest to change. Do you have any discount airlines that fly the route you will be flying? They often have no advance purchase fares. Is it her first or not? If her first she have lots of episodes of false labor and you'll drive yourself nuts!

Just fly out at the next convenient moment and hang out there until she decides to go into labor. :p

As Waldo said ..

Back in my pre-retirement days, I used to book flights well in advance to places I knew I would need to fly to later. The change fee was almost always less than buying a last minute ticket. Now, of course, things have changed since then. (wheels have been invented, for example). The only time I now use frequent flier miles for domestic travel is for last minute trips.

But, it really depends on what airport to what airport. Indy -> KC? Midway->St Louis?

Take a look at who flies the route you need. Then make a "test" booking to see what the cost is for tomorrow, next week, next month. Then take a look at what the change fees are.

Sometimes Southwest has last minute fares that aren't a ripoff. Also check kayak.com. every once in a while, some airline has a good airfare that is only a couple days out. I booked airfare from MSP > IAD last fall with 3 days notice at $170 one-way (normally it's $250 round trip with one months notice)

Thanks for the information. Our daughter is due on the 22nd so not too far off. The cheapest I've found so far is 349.00 round trip for 2. We'll be flying from Indianapolis to Kansas City. I've been looking at this Thurs. evening, just in case it's this week. We may just have to drive but with being winter and an 8 hour drive we'd prefer to fly.

Archived