Jeep Rentals on Tortola

snipboy

I've love to hear some experiences of renting a jeep or other vehicle to do the Ridge Road or other road trip of the island. Any things to look out for or caveats to doing such a trip? Would it be more economical to have a TAXI take my wife and I around the island on the route?

Snip

I am just back from Tortola. We took a "taxi" trip around the Island. We didn't book one from the Ship but walked into Roadtown and got one there. The cost was $15.00 each for about two and a half hours. As you probably know they drive on the left but the cars are also left hand drive which makes it as difficult as can be. The roads themselves are steep, twisty and in poor condition with alot of the asphalt washed away. Even on a very rainy day such as we experienced the panoramas are beautiful and we can't wait to go back.

To sum up if you are an experienced driver and nothing much worries you go ahead othewise go for one of the 16 person open taxis that ply for trade.

Chris, thank you for all of your insights. Taking the Star on 12-12-04 Eastern cruise.First time on Princess having been w/Carnival several times, but since we are honoring our mothers (ages 80) thoought Princess might be better for them. We are considering renting in Tortola since there will be 7 of us and want to visit 1-3 beaches - Noticed you indicated the roads were not in all that good of shape. Do you think it will it be too much for the older ones with me driving at a slow pace to get to the beaches or do you have a recommendation? Herz will rent us a 4 x4 seating 7 for just a little over 100.00 - but I do not want to ruin the trip for all. Last question. Noticed you did not go to any of the shows - we have a late seating and wish ot attend the shows afterwards, but have read several reviews indicating that it is almost impossible to get seating for the 2nd show with the late dining - Did you hear any comments about this? Thank you for your time. Greg

I can't comment on some of your questions as we were on the Zuiderdam. If I understood my driver correctly most of the beaches are on the North side of the island and will require you driving over the hills. Re parents mine are all around 80 and would have coped though they didn't travel with us. I would recommend a vehicle with doors to ensure their safety

Archived