Ground transportation from Houston to Galveston???

Cruiser Rick1

CruisinKay - I agree with your post. We're going on a cruise out of Galveston in March and I was actually surprised at how few methods of transportation were mentioned/recommended for Houston to Galveston, yet I know that 2 ships are docking there nearly every week.

I actually found limos dot com that was mentioned from a New York cc board that I used to find our transportation for Houston/Galveston.

houstoncruisers -- sure would help alot of us CCers who are looking for limo service or some sort of ride to Galv port from HOU if you were allowed to give name of your company plus 1 or 2 other companies that are reputable...

I fully understand the situation. However, the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free membership state the following:

Other Cruise Professionals, Tour Operators, Destination Website Owners, Guides and Property & Business Owners Cruise Professionals, tour operators, tour guides and property & business owners (and their associates, employees or designated representative) are also encouraged to participate in the discussions on the Cruise Board and establish themselves as experts on a particular topic by responding to members' inquiries with useful answers. They may not, however, list or refer members to their World Wide Web sites. They may not include their "business name" in their signatures, nor may they include their website link in their profile. No promotional material or conducting tour business, is allowed. This includes mentioning pickup locations, scheduling times of tours, confirmation of events/deposits/e-mail receipt, etc (and any other discussion determined to be of a customer service nature in the sole discretion of Cruise Critic. Only items of a general nature may be posted on the forums.

Local experts living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual business or tour operators will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges suspended.

*Effective February 12, 2006* - While we welcome the legitimate recommendation of tour operators, guides, property & business owners in ports of call, please post your recommendation in response to a request for that specific information.

Cruise Critic considers requests to be E-mailed for additional information as soliciting and will delete those postings by any tour operator, guide or anyone trying to sell or promote themselves on Cruise Critic. Additionally, attempts to circumvent our rules may result in your company name being censored from our forums without notice. Please, abide by our Community Guidelines so that legitimate recommendations by our members regarding guides and tour operators may remain on the forums!

Also, the following refers to travel agent information, but it also pertains to all the Guidelines:

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Thanking everyone in advance for their cooperation,

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Is this allowed, and how difficult would it be to take an airport hotel shuttle back to the airport and catch the transportation?

When spoke to my TA this is what she suggested because there is only 2 of us traveling and it appears to be the best deal since our hotel offers free shuttle service to and from the airport.

We have arranged a private limo service for our transportation from IAH to Galveston and back. I have been reading about lots of road construction on this route in the upcoming weeks. Is there a route I should tell the driver to go that will be less congested or just leave it up to the driver's expertise?

Something tells me our last cruise out of Port Canaveral in Florida was a "piece of cake" compared to this Houston to Galveston trek.

Is there a route I should tell the driver to go that will be less congested or just leave it up to the driver's expertise?

Something tells me our last cruise out of Port Canaveral in Florida was a "piece of cake" compared to this Houston to Galveston trek.

Take it from a limo driver....the driver will know the best route for any given Sunday.

The trip really isn't that bad. On a good day I can make it from IAH airport in Houston to the cruise terminal in Galveston in about 75 minutes easy. As long as you give yourself plenty of time, even on a bad traffic day, it will be ok. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on transportation from Houston to Galveston port, I just booked an exclusive van with Super Duper Blue but it was point to point service at $60 an hour with a 2 hour minimum. All said and done it worked out to $141.60 for 9 of us in our own van tip included. I'd like to say this isn't to bad but considering I choose this trip because at the time I booked airfare was cheaper to Houston than Florida. However, any savings I had will pretty much will be for naught after the costs involved of getting to Galveston if you don't have a car. Oh well, not going to let a little thing like money spoil our trip! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update - our ground transportation was flawless. I am glad that we booked privately. He was waiting for us at the airport with our name on a sign and met us exactly as scheduled at the port. It couldn't have worked out any better.

• 2 weeks later...
As an update, Super Shuttle was great, drivers were friendly and prompt and we had no issues what so ever. If you choose to use them, ask for Jerry as a driver, he was great!

Our supershuttle experience was not as good.

Houston to Galveston was fine, driver was on time, and knew a back road to avoid some traffic at the port.

Galveston to Houston - not so good. We originally had a 1:35pm flight out of IAH (Bush) that the airline rescheduled to 1:00pm. Should not have been a problem, as we can self-assist getting off the ship.

There was a storm in Galveston the night before, so they closed the port to all inbound and outbound ships. Then they had to let all the ships out before they let us in. Ship finally docked at 9:30am. We had planned to be off the ship by then.

Supershuttle schedules all of the shuttles for "approximately 10am". They have multiple customers getting off the ship every week. They tell you to call when you are through customs.

As soon as I got cell service, I phoned supershuttle (8:30am) telling them we had a tight window to get back to Houston. Their response, call when you get to customs.

We were one of the first off the ship, customs was a breeze and at 10:30am I was on the phone to supershuttle. Now they should have had a slew of shuttles waiting nearby for passengers. We were given a van number and told "20 minutes". I again informed her of our tight window and the dispatacher basically didn't care.

So we are standing at the curb waiting for "our" shuttle, while we see 3 or four different shuttles driving past multiple times. There was a supershuttle "concierge" nearby and we asked her about those shuttles. Nope, those are already assigned to others. So reassign them we said. Nope. Well where is our shuttle? It will be there in a few minutes. Multiple calls to the dispatcher, no help.

At 11:15am "our" shuttle shows up.

Where were all the 10:00am shuttles?

I was heading to Dallas on a business trip, so my wife had to run through the airport with our kids to catch the flight, which was thankfully 40 minutes late, or they never would have made it.

Bottom line: Supershuttle is cheaper, but in a pinch they aren't very helpful. Next time I'll hire a private limo. I figured with Supershuttle there would be more flexibility if there was a problem with the van/driver. I was wrong.

Archived