Review part1 w901 new years eve cruise pacific dawn

Kruzein

Hi All

27th December 08. we left home at 7.15am and arrived at the Terminal at 10.20am. I had to get suitcase tags as the P&O ones given by my T/A were torn and unusable. I was last out of the bus so by the time i got to the luggage it had been taken away everybody knew i needed tags icon_sad.gif So i was on a mission already and was assured if the luggage didnt make it to the cabin i could pickit up from the pursers desk grrrrr.

12.20pm. We embarked and went to the cabin to rid ourselves of excess baggage and then headed up onto Lido Deck. There was a storm brewing and by the time we had sailaway 4.20pm it looked like sydney was goin to get hammered it was as black as . Made for fantastic photos though. I went for a walk around the ship and then returned to my cabin and had a snooze before dinner. When i woke 6pm it had absolutely bucketed down so i missed nothing at all.

We headed to the La Trattoria (Pizza) for dinner at 6.30pm which wa lovely but they dont sell garlic bread anymore. What Pizza shop doesnt sell garlic bread i ask???

After dinner we sat with the group and chattered then headed to the showlounge for the welcome show at 9.30pm. This is where we were introduced to the Cruise Director and Entertainers etc.

I have to say i took an instant liking to Zoltina J i think she is great compared to Josh, whom i have had to endure the past 2 cruises on the Dawn. More on that later.

28/12/08

The weather wa not the best today overcast and a cool day on deck, however we had calm seas. So i decided to try my luck on the pokies later int he day and put $10 in and won 2 jackpots $174.00 + $92 so i took my money and run lol. I also decided to spoil myself and book a reflexology session in the Lotus Spa. Played Bingo but no luck

Evening dinner in the Palm Court dining room and then to see Neil Diamond Impersonator Peter John Byrne and he was excellent. Then we partied on up to the dome until 1.30am. This is when the bad behaviour started more on that later.

29/12/08

Lovely hot sunny day, slight swell but comfortable. 11am i had our meet & greet and had been recruiting on previous days as well as those on the forum. We arrived in the Bengal Bar and all up i think about 20 - 30 ppl turned up which i though was great. A few from the forum never turned up bu the recruitment drive helped immensely. I have to say i was very disappointed with the effort that P&O showed us. We were given nothing only supplied a photographer (which we had to purchas the photos and they couldnt even be bothered putting the border around the pictures) So P&O will bre getting a brick bat for that. We did eventually get a galley tour but this wa after the Matre D Marius approached me at dinner the night after and asked which one was Lisa to do with cruise Critics. So To P&O especially on the Pacific Dawn you need to lift your game.

We had lunch in the palm court and then went onto horse racing and bingo. After Dinner we headed to the first Entertainment production show in the Showlounge which was Boogie Shoes and it was excellent. then off to Karaoke and an early night.

30/12/08

POUM I didnt get off here as i already have prior and not much to see. I did a load of wahing $3 and dryer $3. we went to trivia and won P&O caps. Took advantage of no passengers onboard and swam in the pool on Lido Deck and had a dry off in the sun. Then up to the Dome to learn Line Dancing Yeeha. Watched Cameo Rascale that night and enjoyed that in the showlounge. Won another $200 on the pokies icon_smile.gif Down to the La Pattiserie for a Hot Chocolate and then to bed to prepare for a BIG New Years Eve.

31/12/08

Awoke because of the heat int he cabin felt sick and realised no air in cabin soo hot. Sea Day & Formal Night. Today was horrific the ir conditioner had broken through the night hence the fact i felt sick upon waking. It was stinking hot outside and the heat inside wa unbearable (apparently the sea temp wa also 30 deg) We suffered this all day and ppl were sick and some feeling very faint. We all had cold showers to get ready for Formal night and the boys Bravely wore their suits and everybody made and effort. I felt sorry for the crew in the kitchens etc trying to prepeare meals it mus of been horrific.

After our fromal dinner and formal pics we went to the first show DO U WANNA DANCE it was very good but i felt for the performers up there with costume changes etc and no airconditioner. They Cancelled the 2nd show and it was on a later day at 1.30pm. We got changed and went up on deck ready to party and welcome 2009 and also excape the horrific heat in the ship. I tried to keep to as much open space as poss all day to minimise the chance of somebosy spreading sickness.

Went up on Lido deck and sat ont he side of the pool and stayed there. The crowd mounted and it was goin to be one of the best New Years ever. We were given a whistle and some streamers and danced and partied all night long and we did the countdown to midnight and then the amazing thing happened. At 12.01 am the skys opened and it poured raining and everybody went off as we were so hot we needed it, nobody escaped it they all stood there and just got soaked. Then 20 mins laater the air con resumed and when we went inside we nearly froze hahahahaha the irony of it all. The capt blasted the horn many many times and it was absolutely amazing strangers hugging, dancing wishing each other happy new year WELCOME 2009.

1/1/09

Champagne Bay

Up early and ready to go with noodle chair. It was absolutely gorgeous the water the sand it was like paradise. I did put sunscreen on but after about 3 hours could feel the sun biting so not long after returned to the ship. A lot of passenger were badly burnt so i am glad i returned. Went to trivia and then just relaxed. That evening we went to the Pirate show and i was dragged up on stage as part of audience participation it was fun. again won $70 on pokies for $5 outlay.

2/1/09

WALA

Bree was burnt on her shoulders at Champagne and had blisters so she was not feeling too well we got off at Wala the boys got off later we walked around and bought a couple of things but i couldnt resist giving the local children money (i just cant resist) Wala was a nice place but not as nice as Champagne Bay. We went back onboard and played pictionary, trivia and decided to do Ceramics @ Sea so we painted a bowl.

Had dinner then won sportd trivia and won another $250 on pokies after $20 outlay so i am well in front.

3/1/09

VILA

Oh this was an experience and a half I had booked the Rainforest Horse Riding Shore Tour we were all novices. We left the ship at 10.30 and headed out to the ranch about 20mins from town. On our arrival we were taken into a ranch style lean to and got helmets etc then given a quick safety talk and then taken to the yard and a horse was allocated to each rider. I have to say they look much bigger when you are standing beside them I was the last person to be allocated a horse and the old addage save the best til last well it didnt apply lol. I got a horse named TORNADO he seemed very quiet, so up i goes andtried to reasure him i was his friend mmmmm he didnt care lol. We were off well i think we were off Tornado decided it was time to graze. The other members of the family were well ahead of me in the pack. But Tornado i think hadnt eaten for a month because everytime he put his head down to eat i nearly fell on my face. We finally go goin but the reins were very short and he kept eating then all of a suddent the reins snapped ahd he bolted with me onboard The more the guide tried to get control of him the faster he ran and i can tell u i was crapping myself. I was ready to jump but it was a rainforest and very long grass and i was thinking snakes. We finally got control and then we got to a mountain top. Who the hell takes a stupid horse to a mountain top well i sooned turned him around so he ouldnt be tempted to try any bungy jumpng with me onboard. we made our way back down the steep decent and Tornado wanted to eat and i wa having so mudh trouble just staying onboard. Eventually about 500 mtrs from home he started behaving himself so i took him for a swim on our return and he went to bloody sleep in the water ani_crack_up.gif I tell you my cowboy days are well and truly over. But i have the pics to prove i did it and survived.

Back into Vila and we did our shopping and it was stinking hot. Had a look around and then returned to the ship and glas to see it as well. Had dinner and then ready to celebrate Island night up on Lido Deck. Had a fantastic time we also had formal funny pics taken. Then up to the Dome to relax and party on.

4/1/09

MYSTERY ISLAND

We got off the ship about 9.30am had a look around the Island then i went for a swim with some of the group. Had pics taken in the Cannibal pot and returned to the ship. Did some activites onboard like trivia etc but just layed about and did nothing.

5/1/09

ISLE OF PINES

A lovely hot day for paradise i love the isle of pines. I was disappointed the motorised bikes were not there. so we walked around and had a good look and took plenty of pics as usual. Also i decided i would partake in Island sports so i played beach vollyball and we won 3-0 then tug-o-war 3-0 so i went back very happy and pleased with myself lol. Back on ship

MEET & GREET Galley Tour

Marius came to see me at dinner on the 29th and asked if we would like to do a galley tour as part of the Cruise Critic group and gave me a few dates and i arranged for the 4th at 5pm. We met at the Bengal Bar ar 4.30pm and made our way to the Palm Court dining room at 5pm where myself and the group were greeted by Marius and he proceeded to take us to the galley doors, once inside we were handed over to Ravinda the head chef and person in charge of all menus onboard (he disembarked after our cruise to return to India til May) Ravinda was magnificent and we were so appreciative as his staff were trying to prepare meals and he didnt try to rush us through he answered every question that the group had. After the tour it was time to get ready for dinner and Country & Western night this was great and after dinner we went ot the production in the Showlounge which again did not disappoint. Then up to the dome for C&W night and get involved great night had by all.

6/1/09

Oh no the D word has appeared in the Pacific Daily, you know the one DISEMBARKATION information icon_sad.gif It is that time where we have to think about leaving our new friends and returning to work etc. We attended the disembarkation talk and then the many activities onboard during the day. Tonight is another formal night but much more comfrtable then the previous one We attended the Captains cocktail party and then went to the production of Starry Starry Nights. whic has fantastic we then went up to the dome and met up with friends and partied on.

7/1/09

We are informed that the ship has a mechanical problem and we will be late into sydney on 8/1 some of the passengers were panicking some crying but the majority were happy as. I wa sone of them but i felt for the passengers that were waiting to embark on the 8th. I had to try and contact the bus that was picking us up and eventuallhy did that and all was well. I packed all the bags but because of the cahnge in plans we didnt have to put them out till later. phew. then went to various activites onboard and just chilled out.

Went to popstars and then up to the dome and had a great time up there knowing we didnt have to be up early to disembark icon_smile.gif

8/1/09

DISEMBARKATION Day

We were stioll a bit confused on what was happening the ship seemed to be going fast then would slow almost stop so bit confusing. The Activities were organised as extra to kleep passengers entertained and occupied and the staff did a great job. At about 2ish everybody started to gather in the bars and public areas to leave as we had to be out of out cabins by 3pm. We finally docked at 5.20ishpm and i got off the ship at 7.25pm one of the last to leave. Got home aroundf midnight

All in all had a great time and would do it all again. I will write a review about incidents and other things a bit later

Cheers

Kruzein

Oh lol I read your 2nd part before this bit.

"Who the hell takes a stupid horse to a mountain top well i sooned turned him around so he wouldnt be tempted to try any bungy jumping with me onboard. we made our way back down the steep decent and Tornado wanted to eat and i was having so much trouble just staying onboard. Eventually about 500 mtrs from home he started behaving himself so i took him for a swim on our return and he went to bloody sleep in the water I tell you my cowboy days are well and truly over. But i have the pics to prove i did it and survived." rofl.gif

TOO funny.......I have this vision running through my head............

You certainly had a great time, shame about the AC LOL freezing when going inside.....wouldn't have thought about that.

Great review, loved every bit of it.

Lynda.....who desperately wants to cruise but has to wait until 2010

Kruzein, sounds like you had a blast on the New Years cruise. Loved reading all about your fun. Looking forward to mine now, except I have to wait till the end of the year!

I added you to friends/contact as you suggested a few days ago. How do I view your photos you mentioned a few days ago? :)

Kruzein, sounds like you had a blast on the New Years cruise. Loved reading all about your fun. Looking forward to mine now, except I have to wait till the end of the year!

I added you to friends/contact as you suggested a few days ago. How do I view your photos you mentioned a few days ago? :)

Hi Element

I recieved your message a couple of my pics are on another forum other then that they are all on my facebook. If you have facebook enter my email address and add me and they are all there or if you have msn add me there and i can direct you. And i am thinking seriously about booking another New Years Cruise just waiting to recover from this one sleepwise :D You will have a blast

Archived