Barcelona~ Hotel Continential or Continental Palacete

Both of these hotels seem like a modearte but enjoyable place to stay. Since I have never traveled to Barcelona which one has the best location? Both offer the 24 hour buffet, anyone care to expand with exact types of foods for breakfast and what's placed out for the remainder of the day? Beverages? What is the best price for a late November stay?

We stayed at the Continental Palacete a few years ago. I think these hotels are both owned by the same family. The Continental, I believe, is located on or near Las Ramblas, so it may be somewhat noisy at night. The Palacete is located in a quieter area off the main drag, but easily within walking distance of Las Ramblas and many other Barcelona attractions.

We highly recommend the Palacete. The rooms, service, hospitality, and food/drink bar were excellent. Immaculately maintained rooms.

You might also consider the Atrium Palace. Similar to the Palacette but without the awful "Laura Ashley gone mad" decor. Our rooms in late September 2007 were €120 a night plus €8 for breakfast (I think the breakfast might have gone up a bit, if not the room rates).

We stayed at the Hotel Continental Palacete and found it to be great though the rooms are small and very pink! It is situated a block or two up from La Ramblas, whereas I think the sister hotel is more centally located on La Ramblas.

With regards to the buffet contents, in the morning there was I think cereals, pastries, milk,dried fruits, toast, and various spanish hot dishes such as a frittata like egg dish which I really enjoyed. All day there is a cappucino machine, orange juice dispenser, tea, unlimited soft drinks in cans, free bottled water ( great for taking when sightseeing), and I think there may have been wine too, though I did not try any. Later in the day there were other hot and cold items in the buffet, fried rice, salads, some meats and some sweets. It was nice to try some different foods even if sometimes we were not quite sure what they were. I recall some lovely chocolate coated nuts. The plates and cups are of the cheap plastic variety, but hey, when it's included free, who's complaining?

Here is a recomendation for the Continental. The location (right at the top of Las Ramblas) is fantastic. Book a room with a balcony overlooking the street. Sitting out there with a pre-dinner cocktail and watching all the fun going on below was a highlight of our trip!! We did not have any touble at all with noise. As has been stated, the service staff is wonderful and the rooms are immaculate . Yes, they are VERY PINK. DH said he felt like he was inside a pepto bismo bottle:D. The buffet is very adequate and the free water, pop and beer all day was appreciated.

So are both of the sister hotels very pink? So pink in all the rooms, entrance, all over? Wonder why that particular color???

Because!!:D

Don't really know why, just the bedrooms are very pink. In the Palacete the 'communal' room looks like it dropped out of Versailles. Its all very kitsch, but the staff are great and the place is clean. Just to add to the buffet, apart from the bottled water (as said, great for days out) and sodas, there is also wine and beer. Just help yourself. There is also free internet via 2 PC's (one by reception, one by the communal room). The Palacete is a bit quieter than the Ramblas one, even though it is at a main road junction. There is a taxi rank right opposite the door (handy for getting down to the ship) and you are only 5 minutes walk from Placa de Catalunya and the metro station and HOHO buses and Aeroport bus. Only downside is if you have mobility issues. The 'hotel' is all on the first floor. Whilst there is a lift to get up to the first floor, you have got to climb 13 odd steps to get up to that level off the road.

Simon

Does anyone have any specifics on the buffet at the Continental? Is it the same as the Palacete? Also, does anyone know how much a bottle of Cava (sp?) the sparkling wine might cost? Thanks for any info.

Archived