PB Tom can your restaurant do cooking classes or demostrations or kitchen tours?

parrotheads

Tom,

Since visiting your beautiful beach last March, we've really missed your margaritas and delicious food with a view! But we will be there again (as I've already mentioned in earlier posts) on December 26th.

We have a little bit of a conflict in our household this morning. My DH (McCoy) wants to go to a local place for a cooking class, but I want to spend more time at PB (as well as our two teenage kids) So...

Can your restaurant help us do both? If we could tour your kitchen or do a cooking demo (like help cook our own dishes that we order) That would be a fantastic solution and would enable us to get Stephanie, our daughter's hair braided (that will take a long time because of her VERY LONG CURLY HAIR), and our 16 year old son, Jon, can watch the "babes" while we drink margaritas, catch some Cozumel rays and play on the kayaks, as well as, get our love for your local dishes satisfied all in one beautiful location!

My husband is a professional pastry chef turned sales manager and I am a 3rd grade teacher, so learning about how your food is prepared is actually a treasured moment for us although we love eating it, too.

So... PLEASE see what you can do...I'll bring numerous bags of Twizzler Nibs!

Well, unfortunately our kitchen, not to mention our insurance coverage(!), is not set up for teaching. It's a smallish, working kitchen with lots of staff zipping back and forth, so no room for anyone else, I'm afraid....

A possible solution is for your husband to take the "Mexican Cooking Workshop" listed as one of the excursions on Royal Caribbean. Don't know what cruise line you'll be on, but I'll try to remember to ask their staff if it's offered outside RC. They have their classes at a neighbouring beach club, so when he's done, he can just walk back here (5 min.) and rejoin you for the remainder of the day.

I see that you're coming on a Sunday which is my day off, so I won't be seeing you, but I hope your day works out, and that everyone leaves happy. I'll try to send some babes down for Jon!! Hasta la vista!

We understand... especially about insurance and kitchen size. But we are very interested in the other one offered at the close by beach club. We are on Princess this time (the Grand). Could you please ask around for us. That would be great!

Carnival lists it as an excursion on their website as well - we were thinking of doing it but changed our minds. I received a price list via email today, but I don't see it on there.

The price online is listed as $50-$99 per person from Carnival. The Carnival website has this information about it:

Have a great time while learning the secrets of Mexican cooking by preparing a full course meal.

On this educational excursion you will:

Board an air-conditioned bus at the pier for a scenic ride to Playa Mia Grand Beach Park.

Learn, from a prestigious chef, the art of cooking traditional Mexican cuisine.

Be given your individual workstation with all ingredients and utensils.

Listen as the chef assists you in the food preparation and answers any questions you may have.

Be served your own creation, accompanied by fine Mexican wines, in a festive atmosphere.

Spend approximately one hour enjoying the beach facilities, including unlimited domestic open bar and non-motorized water sports.

Note:*Minimum age is 18 years.*

Comfortable beach clothing, a towel, hat, sunglasses and sunscreen are recommended.

I also did some googling...

Found the following:

http://gocozumel.com/spanish-lessons/mexican-cooking.htm

http://cozumelinsider.com/cooking/index.html#CookingClasses

The second website has a listing at the bottom of the page that talks about classes - also has an online sign up thing and tells what you get with the class.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Karlanee for all the information on cooking classes. The one listed at gocozumel.com sounds like it might fit the bill. We have just emailed the for pricing and details.

Tom, thanks for offering to ask a competitor for us, but let's wait until we hear back from gocozumel. Our kids have agreed to go along to the class providing we do PB the rest of the day.

You know, the people here on cruise critic are all so helpful. We really appreciate everyone's help! :)

Thanks for the gocozumel link - I hadn't found that one. I tried the CozInsider class, but they said that the hands-on class is only for people staying on the island - not for cruise ship passengers.

Also, the gocozumel class is MUCH cheaper. I've e-mailed them and hope for a positive response.

Thanks again.

Tom, would you mind resending the email? We haven't received it yet. So let me give you the address again just in case I screwed it up the first time. :)

mccoyburnett@aol.com Thanks!

P.S. if it doesn't work out we're looking at visiting the SAN GERVASIO ruins instead and then come by PB. Thanks for all your help!

OK, this is what I got yesterday...

Sent : November 22, 2004 6:21:01 PM

To : paradisebeachtom@hotmail.com

Subject : Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

| | | Inbox

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to

connect successfully to the destination mail server.

mccoyburnett@aol.com

To: mccoyburnett@aol.com

Subject: e mail for cooking class!

Sent: November 20, 2004 6:19:19 PM

Hi parrotheads!

The sales manager in charge of that tour is Miguel (Mike) Cimas. E mail him here: mcimas@playamia.com

Have a great vacation!

Tom

at PB

Happy belated info!!

Tom, thanks! We had just about given up. Also we didn't want to be a bother. I know aol can be kind of quirky with email.I will send him an email today. Anyway we are quite flexible and are actually thinking of doing the San Gervasio ruins instead before coming to PB.

I realized that even though this is a 10 day cruise we haven't included 1 single Mayan site. That is one thing we usually do in every cruise (and we've been on 8 cruises to date. I really hadn't thought about ruins in Cozumel until you mentioned it in an earlier post. Since that time I've done a little research and I think it is high time we check it out.

Thanks again!

Marcia & McCoy

Archived