Which itinerary would you choose??

tulips*n*truffles

Hi there!

I'm within a day of booking my first Alaskan cruise (SO EXCITED!) on Princess and I want to make sure I make the right choices. Not that I'd be disappointed in anything - just to make the trip the best it can be.

I'm struggling with my itinerary. All are within $100 of each other. Balcony stateroom.

OPTION 1 - mid-June on Star Princess

Seattle

Ketchikan

Tracy Arm Fjord

Juneau

Skagway

Victory, BC

Seattle

OPTION 2 - mid-June on Sapphire Princess

Vancouver

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Glacier Bay National Park

College Fjord

Anchorage

OPTION 3 - mid-June on Diamond Princess

Anchorage

College Fjord

Skagway

Juneau

Ketchikan

Vancouver

Anyone have an opinion?? Benefits of one over the other?? Ship preference?

THANK YOU!!!

Natalie

:)You are taking a big leap of faith by asking strangers to help you decide, since we don't know your criteria and preferences. That disclaimer aside, I would do option 2 or option 3, because of superior itinerary and scenery (just my own two cents). The Diamond and Sapphire are "sister" ships, and much alike (they are both quite popular choices). However, you did state this is your "first" Alaskan cruise. Whatever you miss this time, you can do next time!;)

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions. (I need to add that I've never cruised Princess).

I hope you realize that the Star Princess is a roundtrip cruise out of Seattle, and the Sapphire and Diamond Princess cruise one way between Whittier, Alaska and Vancouver, BC. If you choose one of those two ships, you will fly into one city and out of the other, which will make your airfare considerably higher than if you fly roundtrip to Seattle. Princess has a very nice itinerary on their one-way cruises, and if you have extra time, try to spend a few days in Alaska before or after the cruise.

For a first-time Alaska cruiser, there are better roundtrip itineraries than what Princess offers. If you want to cruise from Seattle, I think HAL's ships, especially the Westerdam, have very good itineraries. HAL Zuiderdam and Volendam do roundtrips out of Vancouver, and they have an excellent itinerary.

My first Alaska cruise was a one-way northbound cruise on the Coral Princess, followed by a 9-day independent land trip with a rental car. My second Alaska cruise was a one-way northbound on HAL Veendam - also followed by a land trip. I just booked the Golden Princess for late May, and it goes to the same ports and glacier as the Star Princess, but in a different order. While it wouldn't be my first choice if I had never been to Alaska, it fits the bill for what I want to see and do.

I'm within a day of booking my first Alaskan cruise (SO EXCITED!) on Princess and I want to make sure I make the right choices. Not that I'd be disappointed in anything - just to make the trip the best it can be.

I'm struggling with my itinerary.

OPTION 2 - mid-June on Sapphire Princess

Vancouver

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

College Fjord

Anchorage

OPTION 3 - mid-June on Diamond Princess

Anchorage

College Fjord

Skagway

Juneau

Ketchikan

Vancouver

Either 2 or 3 for me mainly because they both include Glacier Bay National Park, Skagway & Juneau. I would also like to see Hubbard Glacier but the chances of not getting close enough to view are to high for me to give up Glacier Bay. Skagway & Juneau were toss ups for the different but great days spent in Alaska. The amount of time in each port would make up my mind of which cruise.

Anyone have an opinion?? Benefits of one over the other?? Ship preference? THANK YOU!!! Natalie

I am not very hard to please on cruise ships (haven't met a ship I didn't like yet) so we liked the Diamond Princess really well.

I hope you realize that the Star Princess is a roundtrip cruise out of Seattle, and the Sapphire and Diamond Princess cruise one way between Whittier, Alaska and Vancouver, BC. If you choose one of those two ships, you will fly into one city and out of the other, which will make your airfare considerably higher than if you fly roundtrip to Seattle. Princess has a very nice itinerary on their one-way cruises, and if you have extra time, try to spend a few days in Alaska before or after the cruise.

I'm actually using all airline miles for our tickets, so the fare isn't an issue. I can fly into Vancouver and out of Anchorage no problem, thank goodness!

For a first-time Alaska cruiser, there are better roundtrip itineraries than what Princess offers. If you want to cruise from Seattle, I think HAL's ships, especially the Westerdam, have very good itineraries. HAL Zuiderdam and Volendam do roundtrips out of Vancouver, and they have an excellent itinerary.

I did look at other cruise lines. I just can't afford them! We really want a balcony stateroom, and Princess is having a great balcony sale right now. I'd have loved to cruise on HAL, but the budget just doesn't allow for it this year. :-(

My first Alaska cruise was a one-way northbound cruise on the Coral Princess, followed by a 9-day independent land trip with a rental car. My second Alaska cruise was a one-way northbound on HAL Veendam - also followed by a land trip. I just booked the Golden Princess for late May, and it goes to the same ports and glacier as the Star Princess, but in a different order. While it wouldn't be my first choice if I had never been to Alaska, it fits the bill for what I want to see and do.

Thanks for the great feedback!

:)You are taking a big leap of faith by asking strangers to help you decide, since we don't know your criteria and preferences. That disclaimer aside, I would do option 2 or option 3, because of superior itinerary and scenery (just my own two cents). The Diamond and Sapphire are "sister" ships, and much alike (they are both quite popular choices). However, you did state this is your "first" Alaskan cruise. Whatever you miss this time, you can do next time!;)

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions. (I need to add that I've never cruised Princess).

I have to say, since this is my first cruise, I really don't have any criteria or preferences. :-) Well I suppose budget is a criteria, but I've got that figured out. Otherwise, I'm like free game! :-) :-)

Since you can use airline miles for the flights (hope you have already checked availability because FF seats go quickly!) - I would book the Sapphire or Diamond Princess.

I would also prefer one of HAL's roundtrip itineraries out of Seattle or Vancouver for myself, but chose the Golden Princess due to the great price. I don't mind not having "the best" itinerary the 3rd time around, because I wouldn't be going to Alaska at all without the sale.

*I wanted to add that I chose a northbound cruise because of the "wow factor" of the scenery getting better and better as you travel north. You also get more hours of sunlight as you go north in the summer. Some day I hope to do a southbound cruise to compare.

We too are going to take advantage of Princess' great pricing right now and was just wondering about the cruise tours. We have never been to Alaska so whatever we see will be new to us. We plan to sail out of Vancouver to Anchorage and then take a 6 day cruise tour to the Princess Wilderness Lodges. We would love some information from anyone who has experienced this.

So the cost of Option 1 dropped $450 overnight. Now what?! I was absolutely set on the Sapphire Princess itinerary - someone tell me - is cruising through Glacier Bay and College Fjord worth that $450? Because I think the other ports are the same...? Oh if they'd just drop the price I want them to drop! :-)

So the cost of Option 1 dropped $450 overnight. Now what?! I was absolutely set on the Sapphire Princess itinerary - someone tell me - is cruising through Glacier Bay and College Fjord worth that $450? Because I think the other ports are the same...? Oh if they'd just drop the price I want them to drop! :-)

For a first-time Alaska visitor, yes - it's worth $450 for Glacier Bay and College Fjord. You spend a good part of the day cruising through Glacier Bay and about 3 hours at College Fjord on the Princess one-way cruises. The Star Princess cruises Tracy Arm Fjord from 6-10 a.m., then goes to Juneau the same afternoon. For that reason I chose the Golden Princess over the Star Princess.

If you have cruised with Princess before - have you logged into "My Princess" on the web site? I found all of the Princess ships in Alaska had great prices for the dates I was looking at in late May.

For a first-time Alaska visitor, yes - it's worth $450 for Glacier Bay and College Fjord. You spend a good part of the day cruising through Glacier Bay and about 3 hours at College Fjord on the Princess one-way cruises. The Star Princess cruises Tracy Arm Fjord from 6-10 a.m., then goes to Juneau the same afternoon. For that reason I chose the Golden Princess over the Star Princess.

If you have cruised with Princess before - have you logged into "My Princess" on the web site? I found all of the Princess ships in Alaska had great prices for the dates I was looking at in late May.

Thanks for the note. I appreciate the feedback! This is my first cruise ever and my first trip to Alaska. SO EXCITED I can hardly stand it! The only way I see the pricing for the Seattle cruises is when I log in. When I log out, they go back up to $1399. I can't tell you how many times I've refreshed my page just to see if they'll lower any other prices! LOL!

Natalie

Thanks for the note. I appreciate the feedback! This is my first cruise ever and my first trip to Alaska. SO EXCITED I can hardly stand it! The only way I see the pricing for the Seattle cruises is when I log in. When I log out, they go back up to $1399. I can't tell you how many times I've refreshed my page just to see if they'll lower any other prices! LOL!

Natalie

I cruised once before on Princess, and when I log in - this is what I see for the balcony starting prices:

June 13 Sapphire - $937/pp (plus taxes)

June 13 Diamond - $987/pp

June 14 Star - $849/pp

June 13 Golden - $874/pp

When you see the lower price - have you tried to actually book the cabin?

OH MY GOSH! No, those are not the prices I see - for sure. My balcony starts at $1299 and that's where it's stayed for the last few weeks. Wow. Those Golden and Star prices are the same as mine though. Odd. I wonder if your Sapphire/Diamond prices are past passenger...hmmm.

I logged out of "My Princess" and then checked prices again. The Sapphire's balcony cabins are $1299, as you saw. But the price of the Star's balcony cabins are more - at $1399/pp! That makes sense, because one-ways usually cost less than roundtrips.

Oh and yes, I have gone all the way up to submitting payment and the prices stay the same...

Then I would call Princess tomorrow morning and tell them that you've read they are offering Cat. BC balcony cabins on the Sapphire Princess for $937/pp on June 13.

I wish I was okay with the Seattle itinerary - the mini-suites are $999! What?! That's nuts! I guess it "pays" to cruise! :-) Hopefully with the first one under my belt in June I'll see some of those prices. Crazy!

I see mini-suites on the 6/13 Sapphire for $1074/pp. :)

Wow. Crazy. Thanks so much for looking at that! Makes me wish we were friends and I was cruising with you!! :-) Have a great night!

Don't give up yet! I would call Princess and ask for that price. The worst they can say is "no" - and you'll be no worse off than you are now.

Archived