A little local or seasoned help on Vancouver Hotels

ajoneen

Hi!

I will be coming in on Amtrak for my cruise out of Canada Place in June. I would like a suggestion for a hotel:

*Preferably complimentary ride service to/from the station and/or pier.

*If not could I walk?

*Or take a taxi/bus to/from them?

*Free breakfast would be a nice bonus.

*Walking distance or public trans to interesting stuff.

*price is really not an issue as location.

:confused:Also suggestion on booking the hotel. Priceline & Hotwire I've never used before. Are they iffy? Booking directly with hotel online or by phone.

I'm not looking to have someone else do all my work for me, just some local knowledge of the area really helps. ;) I don't know the terrain for walking with luggage from station to hotel or hotel to pier. Or the availability/ease of public trans. So any help would be lovely. Thanks!!:)

Amanda

Amanda - first of all - welcome to our beautiful city - here are some tips - the Amtrak station is about 2 miles from the main downtown core and not in an area where there are any decent hotels - you have two choices for getting from the station to the hotel district - a taxi or use our Sky train rapid transit system if you don't have two much luggage - the trains can be crowded but it you are arriving on a weekend you probably could do that. don't know of any hotels that pick up at the train station.

As you are sailing out of Canada Place you are right downtown - both the Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront Hotel are next door to the pier - there are also at the end of the Sky train run.

Our downtown core is quite compact - you are never more than a mile from most attractions.

One hotel that has a shuttle to the Pier is the Best Western Downtown on Drake St.

Here's a link that might help you figure out where everything is located.

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=vancouver-canada-place

If you shift the map a little to the right you should see where Amtrak station - officially called Pacific Central Station -

Hope this helps get you started - feel free to ask the questions - there are number of us locals when we are not away cruising that are more than willing to help fellow cruisers have a positive experience here in Vancouver.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the reply. If I stay at the Best Western Downtown on Drake St is that near stuff to do? Good/safe neighbor hood? Better to stay at the Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront Hotel and walk to pier? Decisions, decisions...

Looks like taxi to hotel where ever we stay. Taxis easy to come by at the station?

My husband is a fireman and always wants to visit a local house. Do you know a location downtown? Or a fire museum?

Regards, Amanda

The Best Western is at the upper end of the Granville Street Entertainment district is as safe as any neighborhood in the downtown core - I live two blocks from it - I can see the hotel from my condo - it is central to access Granville Island - it is on transit routes and the tour buses either stop there or around the corner.

Taxis are usually waiting outside the train station and I believe there is a direct line as well - I may be down at the station today picking up my tickets for my train ride to NOLA so I will try and remember to see if there is one.

There are three or four firehalls in the downtown core - the one in the West End is housed in a historic old brick building and I believe there is a fire museum at the location of the old #1 hall which unfortunately is located in the most seedy part of Vancouver - I will try and see if I can find some links for you.

Your husband might be interested to know that the local firefighters have there own athletic club called the Hose and hydrant - while not located downtown it is an easy 30 minute Sky train ride.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Hi!

I will be coming in on Amtrak for my cruise out of Canada Place in June. I would like a suggestion for a hotel:

*Preferably complimentary ride service to/from the station and/or pier.

*If not could I walk?

*Or take a taxi/bus to/from them?

*Free breakfast would be a nice bonus.

*Walking distance or public trans to interesting stuff.

*price is really not an issue as location.

If you're happy with bus/transit, the Skytrain (elevated train) is across the street from the Amtrak station, and terminates, 4 stops later at Canada Place cruise terminal (two escallators up from track level and you're staring at a cruise ship). Cost is $2.50/ea buy tickets on the platform (cash/credit/debit)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.00045045c7099855bc7d9&ll=49.286283,-123.083096&spn=0.062144,0.181961&z=13

Most of Vancouver is very accessible via buses and/or Skytrain.

Archived