Cozumel Semi-sub review

Paula_MacFan

We took the Semi-sub excursion at Cozumel last week. We booked thru Princess, and paid $46 each. The vessel was the Mermaid, and it was docked at the International Pier. Our ship was docked at the LaCosta (sp?) pier, so a short taxi ride was required, and was included in the cost. The total excursion took around 2.75 hours with taxi and boat ride.

The day was cloudy, which made the water a little hard to see at first, but the skies cleared up by the end of the tour and the sun's rays made it easier to view deeper. We saw a lot of fish, coral, a sea snake, but no barricuda or rays. I was a little disappointed that the colors weren't as vivid as I thought they would be. The boat ride to and from the reef was pretty choppy, and several people felt a little quesy by the time it was done. The tour guide was good.

Later in the day, our group went to Chankanaab and snorkelled there. Knowing what I know now, we would have skipped the semi-sub and just went to Chankanaab, because we saw just as many fish and coral in a more enjoyable way.

The semi-sub excursion would be good for kids older than 4, and older people who don't want to get into the water to see the marine life. But if you have any inclination to snorkel or just get into the water on your own, I would say save your money.

Archived