juneau in the evening

sjdnv

Hi, we will be in Juneau may 22/09 2:30pm to 10:30pm we have a whale

watching tour from 3 to 6:30 does anyone know what time the stores

shut down, would we be able to wander around town for a while after

our excursion? thanks

Particularly that early in the season, store closing hours vary a lot - some will close at 6 (mostly locally-owned ones), many at about 8:00 and some not until the last cruiser is off the street (mostly the Caribbean-style seasonal shops).

That early in the seaon the shops close down earlier, I think it's around 6pm. However, you can hit the "Red Dog Saloon", just a neat place to visit. Also, if your looking for some good seafood for dinner, head to "Tracy's Crab Shack", just a little hole in the wall place, with only outside seating, but they have the best crab legs and crab bisque that we had ever tasted.

We will book another trip to Alaska just to stop and eat at "Tracy's" in Juneau.

Have a good time on your trip.

The crowds seem to thin down quite a bit from 6 pm on, so I'll just take your word for it that you'll still have the energy to do something. :D

I do think evening is a good time to do that trinket shopping--why waste daytime on crowded stores, pawing over teeshirts? Perhaps with the anticipated fewer travelers this year, even the locally owned shops will try to stay open later.

If you already have the Tram pass, go up another time to see the evening light on the channel. If you haven't done it, and it's not too foggy, it may be worth going up.

Walking is free. There's something as simple as walking the docks, now that the crowds, buses and hawkers have slipped away to their dinners. You can climb the staircases almost hidden between the shops on South Franklin up into the Starr Hill neighborhood, and the city and waterfront will be beneath you, with the mountains looming above.

You could take the city bus over to Douglas Island and stroll the beach with the evening dog walkers. Or have a drink at The Island Pub, one of the few bars with a view. Back in Juneau, you could go to The Hanger for another view and a drink.

The Red Dog only has a view of other tourists, but I guess I can't argue with success.

The crowds seem to thin down quite a bit from 6 pm on, so I'll just take your word for it that you'll still have the energy to do something. :D

I do think evening is a good time to do that trinket shopping--why waste daytime on crowded stores, pawing over teeshirts? Perhaps with the anticipated fewer travelers this year, even the locally owned shops will try to stay open later.

If you already have the Tram pass, go up another time to see the evening light on the channel. If you haven't done it, and it's not too foggy, it may be worth going up.

Walking is free. There's something as simple as walking the docks, now that the crowds, buses and hawkers have slipped away to their dinners. You can climb the staircases almost hidden between the shops on South Franklin up into the Starr Hill neighborhood, and the city and waterfront will be beneath you, with the mountains looming above.

You could take the city bus over to Douglas Island and stroll the beach with the evening dog walkers. Or have a drink at The Island Pub, one of the few bars with a view. Back in Juneau, you could go to The Hanger for another view and a drink.

The Red Dog only has a view of other tourists, but I guess I can't argue with success.

Great info,

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering what to do later in the evening. still searching ideas. Thanks for all the info you provide. Keep it coming I have a ton of questions :o

sjdnv,

We are on the same sailing, and have a whale watching excrusion at 3:00 with Harv and Marv. Is that who you are booked with, because we may be on the same excursion! :p

We emailed Tracy of Tracy's Crab Shack, and she's staying open for us. I've read that she has the best crab legs anywhere, if you love crab, come with us! Dinner for us will be a bucket of crab legs!:D

Hi, Yes we are going with Harv & Marvs at 3:00pm Look forward to seeing

you on board.:) Thanks for the dinner invitation but its our 10th wedding

anniversary and we are going to book the pinnacle grill for dinner hopefully

around 8:00pm Is Tracy's open for Lunch? sounds like its definately something we should experience. Have you joined the RollCall yet We havent yet but will shortly. cant wait:D

Yes, Tracy is open for lunch, however we don't dock until 2:30 and then Harv and Marv picks us up at 3:00, so we figured we wouldn't have time for lunch there. You'll love the Pinnacle....here's her website if you want to try her for lunch http://www.kingcrabshack.com/.

I haven't checked out the roll calls yet, but I will. Have you booked anything in Skagway? We're doing the Yukon Adventure with Chilkoot. Looks great!:D

sjdnv,

One more thing....Harv and Marv take their guests to Mendenhall Glacier for a short excursion after the whale watching tour and told us they could get us to Tracys by 7:15 (Tracy's is right by the docks). If you are wanting to do any shopping, that leaves you very little time to make an 8:00 Pinnacle dinner........Just an FYI.:o

thanks for the heads up ! We drove from Vancouver up to Whitehorse a couple of years ago and saw emerald lake,,Haynes,carcross etc , its really beautiful you'll love it. this time i think we are going to go with the

ships excursion Glacierpoint Wilderness Safari in the afternoon and just explore in the morning or maybe do the early whitepass rail trip if the weather is ok our excursion isn't until 1:30 so we have lots of time in the

morning. in Ketchikan we are taking the Bering sea fisherman tour its got

great reviews and then hopefully have time to explore afterwards.

Archived