Keeping Nail Polish Fresh in the Bottle

Jane110

Hi all you experts!

I found my favorite OPI nailpolish on the http://www.aveyou.com and stocked up on a few bottles because I've been having a difficult time getting it in the stores here. So I now have 3 bottles - probably a 1-3 year supply, since I only use this color on my toes - and don't want it to go bad.

I've heard that keeping it in the refrigerator is good, but don't know if that's true or not.

So anyone have any experience on the best way to keep a bottle fresh for a couple of years? It's a red color (Kennebunk-Port) though I don't know if there's any difference of shelf life between dark and light colors.

Thanks,

Jane

I think probably the worst possible thing for nail polish is to be exposed to air. Just make sure you use one bottle until it's gone or no good anymore before opening the additional bottles. Also keeping it in a cool dark place would probably be wise. Not sure about the refrigerator. Seems like that would cause it to thicken...?

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_personal_care_bath_body/article/0,1801,HGTV_3144_1904457,00.html

Storing nail polish in the fridge will keep it fresh longer.

If you read the info at the link above, it will also reference thinning thickened nail polish with nail polish thinner. Note this is not the same thing as nail polish remover!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived