different age groups

xrayvin

Hello, we will be sailing on the Dream next Jan. I have a friend who will be joining us and she has two kids. Between us there will be 3 kids ages 5,6,and 9 (all new to cruising). As I am reading these boards I am seeing that on Carnival all three of our kids will be in different groups! Are they ever together? What about the evening times or the group babysitting? I am not sure how the 6 and 9 year olds will do apart (as they are brother and sister) They also will be the youngest of the groups (can be intimidating) Is there any advice on how to handle this? I was thinking if occationally they had "free time" or something they would be together and that might help break the ice and get them in their groups. Then hopefully they will meet friends and all would be well!:rolleyes:

Thanks again.

They might allow your 9 y/o to move down to the 6-8 group, but there is no way they will allow your 6 y/o to move up to the 9-11 group. You can ask the counselors when you get to the ship. Sometimes there are so many kids onboard that each age group is overflowing. When that happens, they rarely allow any changes. It's up to the counselors actually on the ship, so do not rely on anything that an on-land cruise line rep tells you. As the 6 y/o and 9 y/o are both school age (and unless you home school), I assume they are used to spending time at school in separate classrooms. That should make it easier for them to understand that it's kind of like being in different "grades." I think (but am not sure) that the younger groups have some time all together during port times and also in the late evening for the after-hours "group babysitting" time.

Hope you all have a blast.

beachchick

Often times they will let an older sibling move down to the younger group. You could ask if the 6 year old could move down to the 2-5 group- but that's going to be kind of a drag for the 6 year old. I seriously doubt that they will allow the 6 year old to move up to the older group to be with the 9 year old.

Usually all the kids get dropped off at the same facility. But they will be doing age appropriate activities with their counselors. It is really fun and all the kids are going have a great time. Don't sweat the small stuff.

The 5 year old will have more interaction with the 6 year old because on Carnival, the 2-5s and the 6-8s are usually kept close together.

Since the Dream will be a brand new ship, I can't say for sure if their Camp Carnival will be set up the same. But if it is like the others, the 2 youngest age groups do have some interaction with each other. They are kept in separate areas, but they can see each other.

The 9-11s will have less interaction.

Believe me, it will work out. We have parents come here almost daily and ask this question. ;) The kids will have fun, even without each other.

Thanks for all the advice. I knew they would be in different groups and I don't think it would benificial for any of them to switch groups (except for maybe the 5 1/2 yo but he relates well to younger children so I am ok with him staying there) I was just hoping that if we decide to do a late night and do the group babysitting that they would have the oppertunity to watch a movie together or something. We will be doing plenty of together activities...mini golf, waterpark, dinners together...they may enjoy seperating from each other. Thanks again!

Cruisinmamma~ I have read so many of your posts and blogs, I want to thank you for all the great information! After reading about Atlantis I really wanted to go to Nassau but was outvoted. Do you have any suggestions on excursions in Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya (I think we will do dolphin encounter in Cozumel) for 5,6,and 9 year olds and of course their parents!

Cruisinmamma~ I have read so many of your posts and blogs, I want to thank you for all the great information! After reading about Atlantis I really wanted to go to Nassau but was outvoted. Do you have any suggestions on excursions in Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya (I think we will do dolphin encounter in Cozumel) for 5,6,and 9 year olds and of course their parents!

Awww thanks. :D

Actually I am off to Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel in 2 weeks. When I come back, I promise to have everything reviewed here and on my blog...and of course, lots and lots of pictures.

We are trying Passion Island in Cozumel. But for Carnival, they have an age minimum for that excursion (Royal doesn't because we take a catamaran, not a speed boat out to the island)

And I will be back with pictures of the newly rebuilt Costa Maya. :D

Archived