Surprise cruise for wife's birthday... Will Carnival spoil it by mailing something?

bdub3535

Hey everyone! I just booked a birthday cruise for my wife in October aboard the Carnival Ecstasy. Thanks to all of the helpful threads here I got a pretty good deal, and I can't wait!

Now my only problem is keeping it a surprise! I don't want my wife to know about it until we're pulling into the parking lot at Galveston (we're driving from Dallas). I plan on giving her a packing list and that's it!

Carnival has my cell phone number (not my home phone) and my e-mail address, so there's no problem there.

But what about mailings? They have our home address, and I'm worried that we'll get something in the mail that will ruin the surprise. We both check the mail, and there would be no reason to get anything from Carnival, so she'd probably figure it out.

So my question to all you experienced Carnival cruisers is this: Does Carnival mail you anything after you book a cruise, and is there a way to stop it?

Thanks, and have a great day!

Yes -- even if you choose the "online documents" option (so they don't mail a booklet) they will mail you a statement periodically (showing how much you've paid and how much you still owe). They do this even after you've paid the full amount.

You might want to ask that they change your address to your work, or a friend's house who can keep a secret...

Have you cruised before? Does Carnival have your wife's email ?

There was a huge thread last year about a lady who bought a surprise cruise for her daughter - Carnival had the daughter's email address in its system from a prior cruise and sent her an email about the cruise. Fireworks ensued!

Can you change your mailing address with Carnival to somewhere else - work, friend, etc? (Deb beat me to it!)

Thanks to both of you.

They don't have her e-mail. I've never given them it, and she's never done a cruise before.

I will contact them to change the address to my parents' house.

I booked yesterday (Jan. 13, 2009). Should I be watching the mail for a letter soon or if I change the address today or tomorrow will I be OK?

thanks!

Thanks to both of you.

They don't have her e-mail. I've never given them it, and she's never done a cruise before.

I booked yesterday (Jan. 13, 2009). Should I be watching the mail for a letter soon or if I change the address today or tomorrow will I be OK?

thanks!

You are probably OK - the problem is that Carnival has many departments, so you can never be sure that they all have the same info. I hate to be so worrisome, but I'd keep a look out for awhile.

I book through a Carnival PVP and I do e-docs - have never gotten mail from Carnival unless it was related to adding on a fuel supplment or removing it.

Is the surprise cruise soon? If so, there is even less chance of receiving mail from them.

It's in October. I'm just gonna have to watch the mail I guess.

Another thing to think about is an upsale call. This is where the call booked guests and try and get them to pay a fee for an upgrade. This seems to happen more often if the balcony cabins are not selling well. In my many cruises I have never gotten one but it happens.

Another thing to think about is an upsale call. This is where the call booked guests and try and get them to pay a fee for an upgrade. This seems to happen more often if the balcony cabins are not selling well. In my many cruises I have never gotten one but it happens.

That's a good point too. She rarely (if ever) answers my cellphone, so I think I'm OK there.

Thanks to both of you.

thanks!

Definitely change the address if you can. When I did this to surprise my DH with an annicersary cruise, I gave them my mom's address and my work phone number and email, because they did call and they did mail us stuff. The last time I booked and was planning to surprise the kids, even though I told my PVP it was a surprise and not to call the home number, he did (and later apologozed profusely). The two times he called, it showed up on caller ID as CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES. Our caller ID also displays on the TVs in our house. Ugh. Have a great cruise!

One more thing I should ask, and it's probably a stupid question...

When Carnival mails something, is it pretty clearly marked Carnival on the envelope?

Actually here's another question...

Now I'm paranoid about e-mails, too. Sometimes she sees my e-mail if it's still up on my laptop. How often will Carnival e-mail me?

Is it always from the "@carnival.com" suffix? If so, I could automatically send those to a separate, hidden folder.

Thanks!

My travel agent told me that Carnival will not send out documents. You can do everything online. I am surprising my husband for his birthday and was wondering the same thing. Lets hope that thats the case and I can keep this a surprise. Good luck to you with the same.

My travel agent told me that Carnival will not send out documents. You can do everything online. I am surprising my husband for his birthday and was wondering the same thing. Lets hope that thats the case and I can keep this a surprise. Good luck to you with the same.

The TA probably meant the documents for boarding. Other materials could be sent.

One more thing I should ask, and it's probably a stupid question...

When Carnival mails something, is it pretty clearly marked Carnival on the envelope?

Actually here's another question...

Now I'm paranoid about e-mails, too. Sometimes she sees my e-mail if it's still up on my laptop. How often will Carnival e-mail me?

Is it always from the "@carnival.com" suffix? If so, I could automatically send those to a separate, hidden folder.

Thanks!

The envelope will say Carnival on it. If it is promotional type material, it will probably have Carnival and cruising splashed all over it.

I get periodic emails from them. I would set up the hidden folder.

I too booked with a pvp and my cruise is in 3 days and I never received anything in the mail. It wasnt a surprise but still, they didnt send a thing. Also if you call the PVP and let them know that you arent interested in any upsales they supposedly take you off of the list!!

I have always gotten something from them in the mail.......this last time was when I bought for my children as a Christmas gift. I am still shocked they didn't get to it before I did. It was marked Carnival on the envelope. What they mail is after I have made my deposit. It shows the itinerary, the amount of deposit and the total balance due.

Yep, has the logo.

At least a couple of times between now and your cruise. I'd guess half a dozen total, more if you have questions for your PVP.

My emails from my PVP always come from @carnivalpvp.com. The ones from carnival with my itinerary come from @carnival.com

My DH and I booked a Feb. cruise and we were going to reveal it to our kids (9 and 12) for Christmas.

Although I choose e documents, we did get 3 envelopes in the mail. My Noisy Rosey 9 year old saw one of them. I told her that I was trying really hard to find a cruise that would fit our budget, but It hasn't happened yet. She bought it, but kept checking on my progress - even offered some of "her" money to help.

Christmas morning we gave them a puzzle that spelled DVD.

They turned on the TV and hit play on the DVD player and there was the Carnival promo. They were very excited. We sail in less than 5 weeks.

Keep an eye on the mail. jm

i booked in sept for a feb cruise, i had them email me a copy of my reservation sheet showing what i had paid and still owed. my pvp emailed me 2 times, and i got a card in the mail saying congrats on booking-it had the carnival address on it. other than that nothing. i requested online docs. they call my cell occasionally..comes up as florida 239...2600 (cant remember the entire number) but thats maybe been 2 times or 3 at the most. i suppose like someone said if you could change your address it might be worth it, but if you cant then i dont think it would be the end of the world

I have a cruise planned for April with my sister. I haven't told my husband yet. During the Christmas holidays, a Currents magazine arrived. Inside the front cover was an insert that mentioned my Fascination cruise in April. That was the first magazine I have received.

Archived