First Time Cruiser Question-carnival fantasy

Lindsay1982

I will be going on my first cruise 2/7-2/12/09 on the Carnival Fantasy.

I do not have a major credit card, I only have a debit card. Do they freeze a certain amount on your card if you use your debit card? Or, should I just pay with cash and be notified before I run out?

Also, I have been told that on the first day they will automatically take $120 for gratuities? I am very confused about that.

Lastly, how can I find out how many nights we need to be dressed up (semi-formal) for dinner. Also, is a jacket necessary for men?

Thanks!

You will have a great time on the Fantasy. A five night cruise should have one formal night. There are lots of caper links available - it will be 2nd night on ship, first day at sea. So if there are only 2 people in your cabin then your tips will be $100. Why not put cash down if you are worried about your debit card?

We just sailed 1-1 / 1-5 and had a great time.

I think here is a link for last year - same date.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/Blog_2009/Index.htm

If you use a Debit card yes they will hold a certain amount, I think it is like $300. If you perfer to use cash they will be glad to do that as well. There is at least one ATM on the ship but it has a tendency to run out of cash near the end of the cruise so you might want to think about that ahead of time.

I always recommend that if someone is not using a credit card...that they simply put down cash.

The holds on a debit card can get "interesting" depending on the bank.....

and to avoid any of that confusion....I would just used cash.

I am assuming that it will be you and another person in the cabin....so your tips will be $50.00 each for the entire cruise....total $100.00.

Might be a silly question, but don't most of the debit cards also work as a credit card? Mine can go either way, so I thought that was standard. If you use the debit/credit, maybe they run it through as debit and hold out a certain amount regardless? Our friends were just asking us about this, for their upcoming cruise.

Might be a silly question, but don't most of the debit cards also work as a credit card? Mine can go either way, so I thought that was standard. If you use the debit/credit, maybe they run it through as debit and hold out a certain amount regardless? Our friends were just asking us about this, for their upcoming cruise.

Unfortunately I have no personal experience with "debit cards".

The "difference" however that I have read about on these boards is that if you use your "debit card" ..... you are opening up your checking account to a depth of exposure that I would not be comfortable with.

For example: If you go over your limit on a credit card (because of the hold), you pay a one time fee.

If you use a debit card and over draw your checking account....(because of the holds) then you could potentially have checks bouncing which causes all kinds of headaches AND additional fees.

I just would not want my checking account "exposed" like that....if I am understanding it correctly.

You will have a great time on the Fantasy. A five night cruise should have one formal night. There are lots of caper links available - it will be 2nd night on ship, first day at sea. So if there are only 2 people in your cabin then your tips will be $100. Why not put cash down if you are worried about your debit card?

We just sailed 1-1 / 1-5 and had a great time.

I think here is a link for last year - same date.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/Blog_2009/Index.htm

what is a caper link?

Archived