Oh Canada

Norske

I see threads from different States and even Europe. I'm sure Canadians account for a large number of cruisers. Unless I'm mistaken, we tend to be the happiest, friendlist and dare I say most relaxed.

Do you have any unique experiences, ideas, tips/hints or general statements as they apply to being a proud Canadian cruiser.

;)

I would like to see longer, round trip cruises, from Canadian ports. More round trip Vancouver/Hawaii, 19 days, Vanouver/Alaska, 14 days.

In the east, trips from any Canadian port, down the eastern seaboard, and return, or how about a round trip cruise to Iceland/ Greenland, and return?

One reason is, there is too much red tape to fly into, or out of, the U.S. in this day and age.

john

I hear what you're saying about a shortage of ports. ;)

The folks in Florida sure have it made, don't they?

So far, we've driven to New Jersey once, and Baltimore twice for cruises.

Our last cruise (Panama Canal) sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Airfare out of Toronto was going to cost us close to $1000.00 for the both of us.

We flew out of Buffalo for exactly half that.

And crossing the border by car is a piece of cake compared to customs at the airport.

Our next cruise is an Alaska cruise sailing out of Vancouver.

We don't know where we are going yet for 2010, but it

will likely be either out of NY again, or maybe Baltimore.

Not sure at this point. (its being organized by a regular

over in the Floataway Lounge) :)

There are some cruises out of Montreal or Quebec City but they are not roundtrips, they end or start in New York or Boston most of the time and they are Canada New England Cruises.

I usually cruise out of NY. I take the overnight bus that brings me in New York around 7 am, I have breakfast then head early to the cruise terminal.

I wish they add more cruises out of Quebec or Montreal but even if they had them out of Halifax, it would be too far from me (but I love NS, including Halifax).

Minus 42 degrees with the wind-chill today....on the road to a tournament this weekend (Girls hockey). Anyone Canadians en-route to a cruise this weekend?

I have a 35 degree rule. Above +35, or, below -35 degrees, I don't go out!!!:eek:

john

Minus 42 degrees with the wind-chill today....on the road to a tournament this weekend (Girls hockey). Anyone Canadians en-route to a cruise this weekend?

I'm heading out (driving to Orlando) Monday but do not embark until the 24th. I'd leave on Friday but not all of my party can leave until Monday. :(

Oh well, I'll survive the weekend waiting....... I think.

Being from the Halifax area I would LOVE to see cruises round trip from here!! To anywhere!! But the population in this area (Maritimes) is probably not going to bring too many ships sailing out of our harbors :(, I can always dream!!

We have always flown direct from Halifax to Florida but it is so expensive this year we are driving 8 hours to Portland Maine and flying from there, the money we will save will almost pay for our cruise!

Still 8 weeks before we can escape these fridgid temperatures, suppose to be -38 tonight and tomorrow :eek:, I guess I'll have to stay inside by the fire and keep dreaming!

There are some cruises out of Montreal or Quebec City but they are not roundtrips, they end or start in New York or Boston most of the time and they are Canada New England Cruises.

I usually cruise out of NY. I take the overnight bus that brings me in New York around 7 am, I have breakfast then head early to the cruise terminal.

I wish they add more cruises out of Quebec or Montreal but even if they had them out of Halifax, it would be too far from me (but I love NS, including Halifax).

We will be on the NCL Jewel on Oct 20th. We have never been to Quebec and was wondering what you would suggest to do or see. Since the ship is in port on Sunday, will the shops etc. be open. Is it easy to just walk around.

I agree I would love to see more cruises out of Canadian ports, Montreal would suite me best. I always cruise from NY becasue it it closest but everything is so expensive there- flight, hotels, parking etc.

I have done the bus thing twice but find I can't get any sleep and waste my first day on ship catching up on it. This time I am taking VIA/Amtrak, we'll see how that goes!

We will be on the NCL Jewel on Oct 20th. We have never been to Quebec and was wondering what you would suggest to do or see. Since the ship is in port on Sunday, will the shops etc. be open. Is it easy to just walk around.

Quebec, in my opinion is the safest port to visit. Yes, there are groups of teenagers at almost every corner, they are very polite, and will greet you as old friends!

What to do, as I recall, we went on a bus tour to some falls, I forget the name, back to the ship for lunch, and another tour to a maple sugar factory/farm. One of these tours included 'The Olde Town', and 'Fields of Abraham', not to be missed!

A very full day, the artists in the old town were great, very friendly, we did not shop until after it was dark, great fun, but this is the ONLY city where I would recommend shopping after dark!

Check with the cruise line re Sunday shopping, I would believe it to be OK.

john

I live in Quebec City and yes all the shops and shopping center are open on sunday. Have fun!

p.s. if you don't want to take bus tours, just cross the street from the pier and you will be in the old town, You will have a nice view from the ship to the Chateau Frontenac.

Quebec City is a very safe place with about 1 murder per two to three years, good quality of life, no traffic jam for hours, people love to go out and eat in restaurant, most of the people have basic english so you may want to bring a english-french pocket dictionary.

Halifax is a popular cruise destination for many ships (Princess, NCL, Holland, Cunard). We had close to 150 ships last year from July to October. The Canada New England Tours almost always includes Halifax. I've always wondered why folks are not able to join a cruise in a port for a partial one way trip. (e.g) I might get on in Halifax on Day 3 and get off in New York on Day 10. Providing the ship isn't full, a last minute deal could be offered. Do any cruise lines do this?

I don't think we'll ever see a cruise ship or line out of Halifax in the near future. Back in the 70's the governmnet of NS put money in a ship called the MERCATOR. I don't think there was ever any return and probably contributed to the government's defeat a few years later.

We do have one of the best cruise terminals in the world. Since NS is such a small province and Halifax is so centrally located, day tours are excellant for cruisers.

I live in Quebec City and yes all the shops and shopping center are open on sunday. Have fun!

p.s. if you don't want to take bus tours, just cross the street from the pier and you will be in the old town, You will have a nice view from the ship to the Chateau Frontenac.

Quebec City is a very safe place with about 1 murder per two to three years, good quality of life, no traffic jam for hours, people love to go out and eat in restaurant, most of the people have basic english so you may want to bring a english-french pocket dictionary.

Not to mention that Quebec City is a place for GREAT FOOD! ;)

I see threads from different States and even Europe. I'm sure Canadians account for a large number of cruisers. Unless I'm mistaken, we tend to be the happiest, friendlist and dare I say most relaxed.

Do you have any unique experiences, ideas, tips/hints or general statements as they apply to being a proud Canadian cruiser.

;)

Definitely! I always try to bring along a bag of Canadian flag lapel pins to give out to people I meet on board and off. It's amazing how popular they are, and it's really nice to be able to give a little token gift to new friends. A few times I've travelled as part of a cruise group hosted by members of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and then I also brought along some Blue Bomber pins....now THEY were really popular. :D

I also love showing off that I'm from Canada....I have a red Canada baseball cap and I swear, every time I wear it people smile and say "hey Canada!" It's true, people LIKE us!

One other thing - although I can't claim this is a specifically Canadian practice. So often on vacation I see couples taking pictures of each other, and I think "what a bummer for them to get home and have no pictures to show that they were here together". One of my absolute favorite things to do when I see people doing that, is to offer to take a picture of them together. 99% of the time people are so thrilled and grateful, it just really feels good. And the fun thing is, many times I don't even speak the same language as them, I just make the international signal for "would you like me to take a picture of the two of you together?", and invariably the response is a BIG smile and a delighted "yes, please", followed by an offer to take MY picture, which I always accept.

Those are my "Canadian Cruiser" traditions.

Cathy from Winnipeg :-)

Definitely! I always try to bring along a bag of Canadian flag lapel pins to give out to people I meet on board and off. It's amazing how popular they are, and it's really nice to be able to give a little token gift to new friends. A few times I've travelled as part of a cruise group hosted by members of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and then I also brought along some Blue Bomber pins....now THEY were really popular. :D

I also love showing off that I'm from Canada....I have a red Canada baseball cap and I swear, every time I wear it people smile and say "hey Canada!" It's true, people LIKE us!

While in Japan, a few years ago, we were taking a tour in Tokyo, but were getting a little tired of hearing, 'This was bombed, and that had to be replaced, due to the war'.

It so happened that Wilma, my wife was wearing a Canadian shirt, complete with Maple Leaf, when an elderly Japanease gentleman broke in front of her, gave a low bow, and said, 'Canada! Welome to my country!' We both felt very good for the rest of the tour.

Speaking of 'feeling good', since I started this, I took a phone call for Wilma, it was the hospital, informing us that she goes in on Feb. 12th for an operation on her spine. It has been getting painful over the years, to the point that it was just too much to cruise with, since to the slightest movement of the ship, while walking was just too much for her on our last cruise.

So we wait, in hope may be that we might continue cruising.:)

john

You are the 3rd Winnipeg cruiser I've seen today!

Hi from Kenora!

One other thing - although I can't claim this is a specifically Canadian practice. So often on vacation I see couples taking pictures of each other, and I think "what a bummer for them to get home and have no pictures to show that they were here together". One of my absolute favorite things to do when I see people doing that, is to offer to take a picture of them together. 99% of the time people are so thrilled and grateful, it just really feels good. And the fun thing is, many times I don't even speak the same language as them, I just make the international signal for "would you like me to take a picture of the two of you together?", and invariably the response is a BIG smile and a delighted "yes, please", followed by an offer to take MY picture, which I always accept.

Archived