Help with baggage question!!!!!

ciceroana

Its true tha you have to pay for any baggage tha you check in??? We are flying ny to miami on 01/25 for Destiny cruise, we are worried 2 couples with 5 kids!!!! Any information, thanks!:(

Are you asking about the airlines or the cruiseline?

If cruiseline, no.

If airline, most likely. However you need to check with the airline you are flying on for specifics of how much per bag etc. Plus, Southwest still gives you two free checked bags. Others will depend on when you purchased your ticket although unless you purchased them way in advance, the answer will most likely be yes. I think First Class on most airlines still gives you free checked baggage and some frequent flyers also get free checked.

Its true tha you have to pay for any baggage tha you check in??? We are flying ny to miami on 01/25 for Destiny cruise, we are worried 2 couples with 5 kids!!!! Any information, thanks!:(

Airlines are charging for checked baggage. Cruise ships are not.

Also, you might want to add a "N" to your Easter Caribbean cruise (since Easter is not in September and Easter Island is not in the Caribbean) ...

"Carnival Miracle - Easter Caribbean 9/08"

I am not use if this has changed or not but last Oct Alaska Airlines charged $25 per bag for check in. They didn't charge for car seats though. I think United also charges about the same. You can go to their websites and it should tell you. Or any of the site should tell you.

Happy Cruising

Delores

Do you mean pay for the baggage at the airline? Most airlines are now charging for the first bag. I think Southwest is one of the only hold outs. I know we fly USAir next and we have to pay a $15 first bag fee. Stinks doesn't it? I am going to attempt to pack in one large bag within guidelines of size and then take the 2 free carryons. Otherwise this would cost us (2 people) $60 roundtrip.

Thank you, my question was about the airlines.Now i know its true!!!!

Sadly, most airlines are now charging for checked luggage. Only Southwest, as far as I know, doesn't charge for the first two bags of each passenger.

AirTran does not charge for the first checked bag either. You really should go to your airline's web site and check their baggage information section. Many of the airlines are also charging extra if the bags are too heavy or over-sized. I spent about an hour weighing the suitcases, moving stuff around from one bag to another, and re-weighing. All four bags came out just underweight, and we didn't have to pay any huge overage charges.

Also, think about how you're going to bring back anything you buy in ports - my family of four took three carry-on bags on the way out for the cruise, and I packed an extra empty one to use on the way back. Worked perfectly.

AirTran does not charge for the first checked bag either. You really should go to your airline's web site and check their baggage information section. Many of the airlines are also charging extra if the bags are too heavy or over-sized. I spent about an hour weighing the suitcases, moving stuff around from one bag to another, and re-weighing. All four bags came out just underweight, and we didn't have to pay any huge overage charges.

Also, think about how you're going to bring back anything you buy in ports - my family of four took three carry-on bags on the way out for the cruise, and I packed an extra empty one to use on the way back. Worked perfectly.

I do not think that the above info is correct. AirTran does have baggage fees, to the best of my knowledge.

update:

Effective December 5, 2008, for all reservations booked on or after November 12, 2008, the charge for the first checked bag will be $15

Do you mean pay for the baggage at the airline? Most airlines are now charging for the first bag. I think Southwest is one of the only hold outs. I know we fly USAir next and we have to pay a $15 first bag fee. Stinks doesn't it? I am going to attempt to pack in one large bag within guidelines of size and then take the 2 free carryons. Otherwise this would cost us (2 people) $60 roundtrip.

The way we get around this is purchase out tickets on seperate credit cards, different transactions. Then we just have the first bag fee for each of us.

The way we get around this is purchase out tickets on seperate credit cards, different transactions. Then we just have the first bag fee for each of us.

explain this to me as it makes no sense. no matter how you do it $15 x 2 people x 2 ways =$60

No charge at the ship....but, depending upon which airline you are flying, there will be luggage charges. Check the website of the carrier you are reserved on. Most charge 25.00 a bag.....

At the port, it's customary to give a tip to the longshoreman who takes your luggage from you. $1.00-2.00 a bag is usual. I always tip them to ensure my luggage doesn't end up in the bay or in a dumpster somewhere.....:D

Southwest Airlines, of course, has none of these silly charges.

I believe there has been posts to the effect that it's a really good idea to tip the porters at Miami port to "insure" your bags make it to the ship dry and in good shape. It's been awhile since I've seen this stated but I've heard stories of soaking wet, dropped in the ocean bags, and AWOL bags.

Have a great cruise!!!

Carole

I purchased airfare through Delta in September for my January cruise. I have called twice and asked if they are waiving the check bag fee. Both times I have been told based on my purchase date, I would not have to pay a fee. I would recommend CALLING the airline because the website explanation was so confusing that I just gave up and called.

Archived