A-Z planners

sappygirl

I used them Christmas day and was so glad we did. We did Mayfield Falls, Pork Pit for lunch, a little shopping, and then Margaritiville. We were met at the terminal in a clearly marked area. Our guide was great. He talked about the area and showed us a lot of great things on our ride. When we got to Mayfield Falls he made sure we had the best guide. We felt very safe leaving our stuff with him. The cost was very affordable. He helped everywhere we went. He made sure no one approached us and took us to a shopping place that had no extra people coming towards us to sell stuff.

I do wish we would have went to a beach instead of Margaritiville. Feel free to ask any questions.

Robin

Did Mayfield Falls, Pork Pit and Drs Cave Beach Jan. 8th with Mark of A-Z. He was WONDERFUL as was the ENTIRE day. Don't let the naysayers steer you away from enjoying the beauty and people. We were met at the departure terminal, waited about 5 mins. for the rest of the group (9 total) and were off. The drive to the Falls was a bit harrowing (steep mountainside, one lane road) but Mark is very safety conscious and kept our mind off things with his stories, jokes, and songs. Lots of friendly folks and critters along the way...learned a lot about the geography, flora/fauna during the ride.

We had two great guides at the Falls who were very helpful, especially since we had a few older ladies in the group. The hike was amazing and VERY refreshing. I didn't know that the waters were therapeutic as they are naturally mineral enriched. Many jacuzzi rest spots along the way. DEFINETELY bring water shoes, swimsuit and waterproof camera. Locker was $5 for the group.

On the way back to MoBay, we stopped for a coconut jelly, water and Red Stripe break. Got to the Pork Pit around 1:45, had to wait for the food b/c it was SO crowded but it was worth it. Had a 1/2 chicken, festival rolls and rice (PLENTY for two). Waddled out to take the 5 min. ride to Drs. Cave. Nice beach which being private kept the riff raff out, very sheltered cove with no waves so it was nice to just relax and float.

Got back to boat with about an hour to shop at the terminal. We did NOT leave the tour group the entire day since it seemed unsafe to do so. I'm not sure I'd necessarily go back to Jamaica for an extended stay but I'd certainly do another tour (maybe Rum Factory) next time it is a port stop with Mark and A-Z. I think the entire tour (all day) was $46 (doesn't include tips to Falls guides, Mark, locker rental or lunch costs at Pork Pit).

We did the Mayfield Falls, Pork Pit for lunch, and doctors cave beach with A-Z Planners on January 14th, 2009. Mark was our guide and driver. I can't say enough good things about him. I was a little uneasy since this wasn't through the cruise line, but he quickly put my mind at ease.

I insisted on bringing my camera along with me to the falls. I have a soft case with a zipper flap. It might withstand a quick splash so I figured it was worth the risk. Our guide at the falls was super cool and offered to carry it for me and even took several pictures of us. He didn't drop the camera in the water so I never found out how well it could survive! hehe... Anyway, here are the pictures I took that day in Jamaica.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bcr4977/20090114CarnivalCruiseJamaica#

• 1 month later...

Reading this thread reminded me I've been meaning to ask this question. We are looking at doing the Mayfield Falls, Pork Pit, Dr's Cave tour throught A-Z planners. What is the appropriate amount to tip for the tour guide and the falls guide? And this might sound strange, but which currency do they prefer? I have no problem converting the currency but if they would prefer dollars then I'm happy to do that as well.

Archived