Shopping near port?

Dannie138

The shop area is expanding. As you leave the tender, there is a line of shops that sell some silver, souveniers etc. There are also several jewelry stores. To the left is an area that once you enter, there are many stalls offering all kinds of things. Shopping is OK, but not as good as in Cozumel ( in my opinion and we have been there four times).

• 5 weeks later...
Is the shopping ok? Is it US dollars? I don't plan on doing any of the excursions at this port, just wondering if the shopping was worth getting off the boat.

I was wondering the same thing. The last time we were in Belize we did Goff's Caye but this time we were thinking of just staying on the ship and having some "quiet" time by the pool (less people on board while in port) is it worth getting off the ship or should we save all our shopping time for Cozumel?

I was wondering the same thing. The last time we were in Belize we did Goff's Caye but this time we were thinking of just staying on the ship and having some "quiet" time by the pool (less people on board while in port) is it worth getting off the ship or should we save all our shopping time for Cozumel?

How was Goff's Caye? Did you like it? Would you recommend it?

A lot of people advise against going outside the gates to shop in Belize but I liked it. Outside the gate there isn't a huge shopping area but there are several vendors and you might find something unusual. The vendors there can be a bit aggressive, but a polite "no thank you" usually works wonders.

My unusual souvenirs from that trip included a Belikin Beer glass for a friend that collects odd beer glasses, an old Belize license plate to hang in my garage (it's a guy thing), and one of my empty Belikin beer bottles from a stop at a little bar right by the gate.

It is in US dollars and if you have a couple of hours to spare and want to experience something a little different give it a try.

John

My unusual souvenirs from that trip included a Belikin Beer glass for a friend that collects odd beer glasses, an old Belize license plate to hang in my garage (it's a guy thing), and one of my empty Belikin beer bottles from a stop at a little bar right by the gate.

It is in US dollars and if you have a couple of hours to spare and want to experience something a little different give it a try.

John

We have always collected license plates from cruise stops and son has posted in his room on wall above closet, love to find Belize plate- can you tell me where you found it- I assume outside gate? And price?- usually we pay $2-3 or under $5. Also glass sounds like great souvenier. Any instructions would be appreciated. Thanks. We are expereinced travelers so not leery to go outside near gated area (with caution of course) and son speaks fluent Spanish if need be.

We have always collected license plates from cruise stops and son has posted in his room on wall above closet, love to find Belize plate- can you tell me where you found it- I assume outside gate? And price?- usually we pay $2-3 or under $5. Also glass sounds like great souvenier. Any instructions would be appreciated. Thanks. We are expereinced travelers so not leery to go outside near gated area (with caution of course) and son speaks fluent Spanish if need be.
Yes, I found the plate outside the gate. I saw one vendor that had at least one, but then I saw a guy sitting on the curb that had a bag full of them. I can't remember exactly what I paid but $5 sounds about right. If you don't see any I'm sure all you have to do is ask any vendor and they'll point out who is selling them, I found the people to be very friendly and helpful.

John

Thanks for reply John. Did you do any excursions at this port? We have visited once in past and did biking tour to Altun Ha which I no longer see offered. May choose other biking tour. No interest in cavetubing or ziplines...........
One year we went tubing with Yhony and one year we went to Goff's Caye. That was one of the rare ship excursions that we ever took in recent years. It left right from the ship and went directly to the Caye. They had a morning or an afternoon trip. It was pretty nice with a lot of good snorkeling and it got us back in time for me to check out Belize for a couple of hours.

John

Archived