Camp Carnival Question

tulipcityfamily

My son will be turning 6 years old a couple of days after the cruise ends. Will they let him be with the 6-8 year old group, instead of the 2-5 year olds? I know he would have a much better time with them. He has an older brother - 9 yrs old. Also, he normally plays with 6-9 year old children outside of school.

Yes they will, with provisions. Usually they'll tell you that he can "try out" that age group. They'll reserve the right to pull him back into the 2-5 year old group. Just make sure you ask nicely. :D I have seen people DEMAND it. That didn't work very well. ;)

When a child is days before a bday, they can make exceptions.

Yes they will, with provisions. Usually they'll tell you that he can "try out" that age group. They'll reserve the right to pull him back into the 2-5 year old group. Just make sure you ask nicely. :D I have seen people DEMAND it. That didn't work very well. ;)

When a child is days before a bday, they can make exceptions.

We will be traveling with several families with children my kids age. Our problem is 3 weeks before our cruise my daughter will turn 12. All of the other children in her group will be 11. My daughter would rather stay with her friends than be the only one in the group in the older group. Do you think it is possible they will let her stay in the younger group?

Thank for any input.

We will be traveling with several families with children my kids age. Our problem is 3 weeks before our cruise my daughter will turn 12. All of the other children in her group will be 11. My daughter would rather stay with her friends than be the only one in the group in the older group. Do you think it is possible they will let her stay in the younger group?

Thank for any input.

Yes, and again, on a trial basis. Just request it when you take her to register. It is MUCH easier to move a child down than to move one up. Ask them nicely...make no demands...put a big smile on your face :D and keep your fingers crossed. ;)

It is totally up to the camp counselor at the time. When they move her back, they will tell you that it is a trial and she could be moved again if she doesn't do well in that group. But once moved, they all do fine. :)

Yes, and again, on a trial basis. Just request it when you take her to register. It is MUCH easier to move a child down than to move one up. Ask them nicely...make no demands...put a big smile on your face :D and keep your fingers crossed. ;)

It is totally up to the camp counselor at the time. When they move her back, they will tell you that it is a trial and she could be moved again if she doesn't do well in that group. But once moved, they all do fine. :)

Thank you!

My 5 YO will be 6 in 2 weeks. I was worried she would feel "babyish" in the 2-5 group so I asked if she could move up and they had no problems. My 9 YO was in the 9-11 group. My 14 YO will be 15 in April, but wanted to sign up for Club O2 (15-17) with her boyfriend who is already 15. They told me there was a 3-month window so since she was going to be 15 within 3 months she could go in Club O2 (she made it by 2 days-LOL). That said, I think it depends a lot on the number of kids on board. If the numbers are really crowded in the age you want to move your child to, but not as crowded in the "correct" age group, they might not move them. There were only 15 teens on board our sailing and not many younger kids either (don't know the exact #s). It worked perfectly for us since the 6-8 and 9-11 do a lot of activities together and were in the same playroom so my 2 younger could be together.

Thanks for this info.......we are celebrating DD's birthday on our cruise at the end of February but her actual b-day isn't until two days after we get home. DD will definitely want to be with the 6-8 year olds and given the fact that she is tall she would probably intimidate the 2's if they put her in the 2-5 class.

Anyway I will do as suggested and be sweet and kind and hope the camp carnival staff will accomodate. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on a Carnival Glory cruise almost 2 yrs. ago and my daughters 8th birthday was 3 days into our 7 day cruise. I asked (nicely) and they told me she had to wait until the day of her birthday to change groups. I thought that was strange but they said it wasn't allowed (they would get in trouble) and that they would gladly change her wristband on her birthday.

We were on a Carnival Glory cruise almost 2 yrs. ago and my daughters 8th birthday was 3 days into our 7 day cruise. I asked (nicely) and they told me she had to wait until the day of her birthday to change groups. I thought that was strange but they said it wasn't allowed (they would get in trouble) and that they would gladly change her wristband on her birthday.

I think that since it was 2 years ago, that they may have loosened up since then. It does depend if they have a full house (so to speak)....but generally, they are ok with it if the child is that close to a bday.

OK, story time...

We just got off of RCCL Independence. I was waiting behind a mother who was arguing with the Adventure Ocean Counselors. She was upset that her son was unable to play on the computer all day long and was "forced" to do the activities with the other kids. The counselor said that if he was on the computer then it would disrupt the other kids and then everyone would want to sit on the computer all day long.

She said "Well MY SON IS ALMOST 9 and these activities are set up for

6-8 year olds."

The counselor jumps on the computer and starts typing and says "When does your son turn 9?"

The mother's reply "JULY!"

I couldn't help myself, at that moment, I busted out laughing.

I looked at the mom and said "MY 8 year old is turning 9 in DAYS and she is having a great time with the other kids. They aren't all 6"

The mom was not happy with me. :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself. She was being annoying. ;)

I think that since it was 2 years ago, that they may have loosened up since then. It does depend if they have a full house (so to speak)....but generally, they are ok with it if the child is that close to a bday.

OK, story time...

We just got off of RCCL Independence. I was waiting behind a mother who was arguing with the Adventure Ocean Counselors. She was upset that her son was unable to play on the computer all day long and was "forced" to do the activities with the other kids. The counselor said that if he was on the computer then it would disrupt the other kids and then everyone would want to sit on the computer all day long.

She said "Well MY SON IS ALMOST 9 and these activities are set up for

6-8 year olds."

The counselor jumps on the computer and starts typing and says "When does your son turn 9?"

The mother's reply "JULY!"

I couldn't help myself, at that moment, I busted out laughing.

I looked at the mom and said "MY 8 year old is turning 9 in DAYS and she is having a great time with the other kids. They aren't all 6"

The mom was not happy with me. :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself. She was being annoying. ;)

That is a very funny story. I would never want one of my kids sitting on a cruise ship playing video games all day! If you look at the literature they tell you what they are going to be doing all day long so it shouldn't have been a surprise. My 2 kids are 3 and a half years apart so they have never been able to be in a camp together. The younger one is shy and didn't go as much so we adapted and still had a great time.

Archived