Shore activity recommendations for St. Thomas and Grand Turk?

fisherhum

We are travelling with our 8 and 5 year old in early March and will be stopping in Grand Turk and St. Thomas. As I haven't been to either one, does anyone have any recommendations for family friendly activities? We aren't really looking for anything too crazy as the goal is just to relax on this trip, but since I haven't been to either port I was hoping someone might have a suggestion.

Thanks

Kathy:)

I cannot recommed Sunny Liston's tour in St THomas enough!

We went on this tour with our three kids, and it was the highlight of the week. His tour "bus" has built in speakers, and he plays sing a long songs while driving.

There are stops at the Mountaintop, Picture Views etc.... and then a beach stop for a few hours. He is informative, funny, etc.

With a tour, you will get to see so much of the Island, plus have the kids entertained and time at the beach!

Catrin

Crusinmama recommended Coralworld in St. Thomas and we are going to give it a try this month on our cruise.

Grand Turk-all you need to do is get off the ship and go to the beach at the dock. Carnival Corp has built a pavilion at the dock with duty free stores and a lovely beach/ pool area. My family thoroughly enjoyed it there and it is right there- no taxi needed. Otherwise Grand Turk doesn't have much to offer. I did a submarine type thing and saw nothing but sand. Boring!

Crusinmama recommended Coralworld in St. Thomas and we are going to give it a try this month on our cruise.

Yep. :D

http://www.coralworldvi.com/

There is a small beach right next door so make sure you bring your swimwear.

Hey Rebecca, are you doing any of the activities at Coral World? I am wondering about the sea lion swim. My girls were happy just walking around and touching the sea animals. But they were younger.

I haven't thought it through. I just thought we would take a taxi there and see everything. Probably won't do the sea lion swim this time but sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip. I love going to the beach and had remembered that you said there was a beach there too. So will be a fun day I am sure.

I haven't thought it through. I just thought we would take a taxi there and see everything. Probably won't do the sea lion swim this time but sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip. I love going to the beach and had remembered that you said there was a beach there too. So will be a fun day I am sure.

It is very small though. So as long as you aren't expecting Sea World, you will be fine. ;)

We were just in St Thomas last week with my 2 year old and 7 month old and we did Coral World and then went to Megan's Bay Beach (the rest of the family wanted to go there). I would definitely recommend Coral World, but do keep in mind that it's far from Sea World!! Feeding the rays was really fun for my daughter though.

We were just in St Thomas last week with my 2 year old and 7 month old and we did Coral World and then went to Megan's Bay Beach (the rest of the family wanted to go there). I would definitely recommend Coral World, but do keep in mind that it's far from Sea World!! Feeding the rays was really fun for my daughter though.

So since you just got back...you can answer this. :) Do they still have the small pool where the kids could touch star fish and such?

And all of the iguanas walking around?

Then there are the rays and observatory.

Anything else there now?

Yes! There is still the small touch pool, along with all of the huge iguanas walking around!! Very cool, but a little freaky too :D

There wasn't anything new that I can think of, just the observatory (which my 2 year old loved because there was a group of the snuba people walking around!) and ray pond. There is also an otter observatory and pool in the building by the ray pond. Is that new?

It was fun, but only for a little bit. The weather was wonderful, but it got really hot. I wish we would have just stayed at the beach that was there, but it looked PACKED! Megan's Bay was really really nice though.

We did both those ports with my 2 DS this past summer. In Grand Turk, we did a ship excursion (Princess, but you can probably find a similar one) that was snorkeling and stingray encounter. It was the highlight of my kids trip! We first got to snorkel--everyone was required to wear snorkel vests and were provided swim fins. After that, the boat docked on one of the cays where you could see the stingrays swimming around. You got out in knee deep water and were able to pet them, and feed them if you wish. I even got a kiss from one :) The only thing I will tell you is that my kids were 9 and 10, but as long as your 5YO is not afraid of the water, they should be fine.

Have a great time!

Yes! There is still the small touch pool, along with all of the huge iguanas walking around!! Very cool, but a little freaky too :D

There wasn't anything new that I can think of, just the observatory (which my 2 year old loved because there was a group of the snuba people walking around!) and ray pond. There is also an otter observatory and pool in the building by the ray pond. Is that new?

It was fun, but only for a little bit. The weather was wonderful, but it got really hot. I wish we would have just stayed at the beach that was there, but it looked PACKED! Megan's Bay was really really nice though.

Not having been there, Coral world sounds a bit more of an activity for really young kids? Would it be suitable for 8 almost 9? We have been to SeaWorld so just seeing the rays etc. might not be all that exciting. Not really sure...

Not having been there, Coral world sounds a bit more of an activity for really young kids? Would it be suitable for 8 almost 9? We have been to SeaWorld so just seeing the rays etc. might not be all that exciting. Not really sure...

Yes, I would say it is better off suited for younger children.

Rebecca - I figured you would review the web site. I just didn't want you hating me when you got back...lol. ;)

When we were in St. Thomas with a 5,7,and 9 year old. We took our own taxi to Megan's Bay and spent the day there. The kids loved it. The beach is beautiful. The kids played most of the day in the water or building sand castles. I also take along a sheet when I go that I put in my backpack....then we have something besides the small towels to sit on. We were able to spend more time there than the cruise line allowed with an excursion by taking our own taxi. There is a place to get something to eat and also bathrooms.

Not sure if the pictures of the Iguanas freak me out or make me want to stop there LOL... Kids would definately love it.
Yeah, I know, gross.......they were really behind the beach. My husband and kids went to go 'play' with them, I stayed on the beach!!! Those are the British VI's behind there......No crowds....depends on what you are looking for in a 'beach spot' :D

AlecISapphire.jpg

Archived