3 Days in Chille (santiago area)

h3rjp

Hi

We are arriving in Valparaíso and have 3 days (4 nights, altought the last night we need to spend at an airport hotel due to an early flight) and would like some suggestions as what to do for 3 days.

After 2 weeks of organised tours, we would probably enjoy the freedom of a hire car. We'd like to get a flavour of Chille and spend at least one day in the Santiago. We are not really wine buffs, but do like great scenery!

Has anyone got any suggestions of places to visit or places to stay. I've had a look at some tourist websites, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. If anyone has any pointers that would be great.

• 8 months later...
Hi

We are arriving in Valparaíso and have 3 days (4 nights, altought the last night we need to spend at an airport hotel due to an early flight) and would like some suggestions as what to do for 3 days.

After 2 weeks of organised tours, we would probably enjoy the freedom of a hire car. We'd like to get a flavour of Chille and spend at least one day in the Santiago. We are not really wine buffs, but do like great scenery!

Has anyone got any suggestions of places to visit or places to stay. I've had a look at some tourist websites, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. If anyone has any pointers that would be great.

Hi

Please help me explain the weather on your cruise trip as we are doing the same next March.

I know it will be cold from Punta arenas to Falkland islands.

The question is how cold will it be day by day from Valparaiso to Punta Arenas ( 3 days in sea ) and from the falkland Islands to Montevideo ( 2 days in sea ). I know it will be hot after Montevideo.

can we use the swimming outside pools during these periods ( before punta Arenas and after Montevideo ) . Can we wear shorts and tees?

Thanks

Hi

Just a couple of suggestions. To rent a one way car (drop at the airport) you will most likely have to use Rosselot (Chilean car dealer that rents cars) in Vina del Mar. Avis/Hertz charge a HUGE drop charge IF they will even do a one way rental (sometimes they just say NO). http://www.rosselot.cl/

The rent a car page has an English feature (the rest of the website is in Spanish). You don't need a pickup or 4 wheel drive. I usually get the Nissan Sentra. The prices are in Chilean pesos and don't forget to add the fees (IVA-usually about 22%) which include full insurance coverage. SHOULD be about $100 per day US.

There is plenty to do in the Valpo/Vina area. Go up the coast slightly (20 miles) to see all the sea lions, the old castle, the great beaches. In Valpo itself, a ride up the hills in the funicular is a fun way to spend some time. Take a carriage ride through the city.

You may also want to drive to Casa de Silva. I love the place. Yes, it is a winery (one of the oldest in Chile), but there is soooo much more to do there and the atmosphere is just conducive to resting and relaxing. They have polo and a gaucho rodeo sometimes. They always have a white horse drawn carriage for a ride around the grounds. And the drive from Vina is some great scenery. Here is the hotel website: http://www.casasilva.cl/

I book through this company-cheaper than booking direct with the hotel and you get a few "goodies"-breakfast, wine tour, and free bottle of wine- with a booking.

http://www.kiwicollection.com/property/casa-silva-hotel-chile

Then you can drive yourself on to Santiago the third day and see Santiago (I am not partial to Santiago, so not much help) Enjoy!!!

Hi

Please help me explain the weather on your cruise trip as we are doing the same next March.

I know it will be cold from Punta arenas to Falkland islands.

The question is how cold will it be day by day from Valparaiso to Punta Arenas ( 3 days in sea ) and from the falkland Islands to Montevideo ( 2 days in sea ). I know it will be hot after Montevideo.

can we use the swimming outside pools during these periods ( before punta Arenas and after Montevideo ) . Can we wear shorts and tees?

Thanks

It will definitely be "cool" south of Valparaiso. It will be pretty chilly (hats, gloves, layers, heavy coat) from Puerto Montt to the Falklands. It is generally VERY windy in that area, so it will make it seem even colder. I was outside Cape Horn in 2002 and it SNOWED in February (which is summer). Not much, but enough to cover the decks of the ship and drive most everyone inside.

You are going late in the season, so it will be turning into fall.

IMHO, the Eastern side of SA is warmer than the Western side. March in Valparaiso to me is too cool to go swimming.

Archived