Meal costs

bongaree

We are leaving Southampton on 26th August on Dawn Princess for Sydney. We will be in the UK for about a month prior with some organised tours. However we are trying to work out a budget and would like to know the cost of a simple lunch ie sandwich or hamburger and cup of tea or coffee and also a simple pub dinner.

Hope you can help

Thanks, Janet

it realy does depend on where you eat. sandwiches are £2-£3 if you purchase from somewhere like Boots of M and S , more expensive i would guess else where. Coffee/tea £1-2. ,unless you go somewhere like starbucks or costa coffee, that is more expensive. Pub lunch does come down to the pub, we have one in our village where lunch is £25, equally you can get a very decent pub lunch for £6-£7. Dinner you can be looking at £10-£15. It eally does come down though to where the pubs are... Wish I was doing your cruise.

As above sandwiches from shops are between £2 - £3 you can get them much cheaper in local sandwich shops where they will make up sandwichs fresh for you.

If you go to pub chains for lunch Weatherspoons and Yates do meals for about £3.99 which are good value.

Drinks: a pint of larger is about £3.00 some local pubs will be a bit cheaper if you go to London its more expensive.

These are just some examples to help you. Prices do varry nationally and things tend to be a little more expensive in the south than in the north.

I hope this helps a little.

Chris

We are leaving Southampton on 26th August on Dawn Princess for Sydney. We will be in the UK for about a month prior with some organised tours. However we are trying to work out a budget and would like to know the cost of a simple lunch ie sandwich or hamburger and cup of tea or coffee and also a simple pub dinner.

Hope you can help

Thanks, Janet

Hi

One comment I would make is that the food in Wetherspoon pubs is pretty rank.

If you pay between £6 and £9 you'll get a decent meal in many pubs. Food in the UK can be incredible, amongst the best in the world. Can be!

However! The big difference to Sydney is that there is still (despite our obsession with food) an awful lot of awful food out there. It's getting better all the time, but you can still go badly wrong!! Not trying to worry you though.

Given the economic climate there are also a ton of offers on all over the place in chain places and indie restaurants. Can't see that changing before August.

My guide rates are breakfast £5, lunch £5-12, tea £5, dinner £15-£25. Dinner includes half a bottle of wine. That works out at £35-£60 per person per day.

Now a normal person may skip one or two of those per day and eat more frugally at times, but it gives you an idea of 'total' expenditure.

Depending where you are staying you can self-cater or snack. Buy bread rolls, margarine, meats etc.

Archived