Sail to St. John

Keta

I've seen lots of sail boats that take you on day trips to St. John and include really nice prepared lunches and drinks - all run at least $100 per person or more and can only take 6 people max.

We are looking for a boat to take to St. John (the taxi/ferry/taxi is not the most fun) that is not quite as expensive, and doesn't have to include the nice lunch. Have more than 6 people in our group, so would like something larger, but hate to be packed like sardines on a ships' tour.

Hello Keta,

Not sure I understand... you want the boat to just take you to St. John and leave you there (as you compared it to the ferry)?

You could do a half day sail, those would be less expensive because its less time and generally doesn't include lunch.

Whats your budget per person? How many hours are you looking for? and how many people?

--Islander

Sorry I wasn't clear. We are looking for a boat to take us to St. John for snorkeling time and then back to St. Thomas again (we're arriving on a ship). We may have 15 or more in our group interested in this. Don't really have a budget I guess, but at over $100 per person, I don't think many would choose to go. With all of the food we eat on the ship, a gourmet lunch is certainly not important, and we aren't big drinkers. We just love St. John. Have been to Trunk Bay before, but were planning to go to Cinnamon Bay this time. Then I came across the idea of taking a boat and sailing over, which sounds more fun that taking the ferry. Thanks for your input!!

Do you have any half day sails to recommend? When my husband saw $110 per person, he thought I was crazy, since there are four of us! Taking our two kids with us on a southern Caribbean is getting expensive because of all of the ports.

Hello Keta,

Many offer half day and full day... try

http://www.rumbabacharters.com/

They are a 6 pack but can arrange a tandem sail; half on one boat and the other half on another - meet at the same points.

If everyone wants to go together try http://www.newhorizonsvi.com

they have a larger boat and can fit everyone. Its $70 a person for 3 hours without lunch.

--Islander

• 3 weeks later...

This was the best thing I did on the cruise. Went with Capt Pat on the Ike Witt he was entertaining and the sailing was fun. Snorkelled in St John's had some fruit and cocktails on the way back . He let my 10 year old son steer all the way back (still trying to wipe the smile off) .If you have more than 6 people , I know Capt. pat has some friends that also do half day sails ,I would suggest getting 2 boats they sail side by side close enough to scream at each other and then can still snorkell together. Did the big boat thing in Hawaii , This is so much more relaxing and fun. My 68 year old mother 10 and 12 year old kids ,and the lazy wife all loved it. Well worth the extra Bucks. Got back at 130 pm went to ship took a shower had lunch went shopping at the dock.

Archived