Are we screwed my friend only has drivers license and social security card?

kyle2227

.......PS.......your friend needs to go to the city / county where he was born.....not where he lives now if they are different.......;)

I was born in Hennepin county Minnesota and can go to any county courthouse, pay $16 and get a certified copy of my bc.

Cassi

I called Carnival yesterday and argued this, even reading their policy which said something about "different" ports. She stood me down and said she "just knew everyone" has to have one after June 2009.

Can you show me link that clearly explains or, much better, phone number to someone? Both my travel agent and Carnival so far have said all must have.

Also, what will children require? We will have 16 years old down to infant. Don't want to have to get those unless we have either (we might have one defiant ex who might make it difficult to allow one child to get if she allows the child to go, refuse to sign for passport -- another one of those silly reasons). He has total joint legal and physical custody, but almost always a battle.

I've looked at the gov links...very confusing site can't quite find a clear answer about the "same port" "different port" question.

I spoke to a carnival rep a few days, had her look on the Carnivals site where it clearly states you dont need a passport. I will repost from Carnivals site.

Quote 1 and link:http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

What are the new passport requirements?

CRUISE TRAVEL

The U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. To make sure you are prepared at your departure port, visit http://www.travel.state.gov for the latest and exact passport requirements.

Quote 2 and link: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/fun/cruise_control/EMB_travel_document.aspx

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see http://www.travel.state.gov.

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable.

So, Carnival really has no idea. The rep was sure you needed them. When I pointed out the difference on Carnival's own website she seemed very shocked. She spoke with a supervisor who also was shocked about the difference. So I asked this question to the rep: " If CBP says that PPs are not require on a closed loop cruise for US citizens starting on June 1, 2009, will Carnival still require them anyways?". Her answer to that question was "no".

She stated she was gonna pass this info on to the appropriate ppl. Did she do that?? No idea. If she did will they do anything about it??? No idea.

CBP says you dont need them for US citizens traveling on a closed loop cruises.

Just incase you didnt see the link from yst347 here it is again. Page 2, half way down on the left side. This will require adobe to open, it is a PDF

Link:http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

In the end, its up to you whether or not you are gonna get a PP.

Best of luck

So many peolp have no desire to travel outside the country. That doesnt mean they "limit" themselves, means they have no desire to do it. Im pretty sure we could find something you dont want to do that others choose to do. Are you limiting yourself ???

Since this is a board dedicated to travel, I would have assumed that those on it ARE interested in travel.

If one had any intent to travel outside the USA they would at the very least have their birth certificate, unlike the friend and travel companion of the guy who started this thread.

It sounds like these people didn't make any effort to find out what was needed - until the last minute.

I appreciate all the info. Like you, I literally had the CCL rep read the quote they had to me, I discussed with her the word "different" and she still stood me down....so I will call the CBP personally and get an answer (with name and extension) and then call CCL and get them to agree or disagree.

What a nightmare it would be to think you've covered all bases, been told you didn't need, and then get there and not be able to travel because CCL had their own policy. They might have to lock me up!!!!

I want to get it verified by CCL personally (with names) and then someone above them verify AGAIN and perhaps ask them to put in writing for me even at this point.

I couldn't get the PDF to open..will check with his link above

Again thanks!

......Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Would have to know that Mexico and Grand Bahama are satisfied without in this case, since these are our only 2 ports other than Tampa.

......Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Would have to know that Mexico and Grand Bahama are satisfied without in this case, since these are our only 2 ports other than Tampa.

Were you trying to say that those 2 places require a PP or do NOT require a PP. I dont believe there is a port Carnival goes to on a closed loop cruise from an US port that requires a PP when entering their country from a cruise ship.

I appreciate all the info. Like you, I literally had the CCL rep read the quote they had to me, I discussed with her the word "different" and she still stood me down....so I will call the CBP personally and get an answer (with name and extension) and then call CCL and get them to agree or disagree.

What a nightmare it would be to think you've covered all bases, been told you didn't need, and then get there and not be able to travel because CCL had their own policy. They might have to lock me up!!!!

I want to get it verified by CCL personally (with names) and then someone above them verify AGAIN and perhaps ask them to put in writing for me even at this point.

I couldn't get the PDF to open..will check with his link above

Again thanks!

The PDF does open real slow, so here is a link and quote that doesnt require adobe to open.

Quote and link:http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm

Traveling By Sea

How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

This quote is about 2/3 downd the page.

What I find real funny is when I started my quest to find out if PP's were needed for my May 30, 2009 cruise, I was told because my debark date was May 30, 2009 I would not need a PP. I find that funny, because if CBP was gonna require a PP to get back into the US, I dont think they would have cared when I left the US, but when I was re-entering the US.

Hopefully Carnival will actually verfiy what CBP wants, then with the proper knowledge make their decision based on factual info. In the end, even if Carnival agrees that the US Gov.(CBP)wont require a PP for US citizens traveling on a closed loop cruise from a US port, they still can require them if they choose. I find it highly doubt full that Carnival will go above and beyond what CBP says they have to.

Were you trying to say that those 2 places require a PP or do NOT require a PP. I dont believe there is a port Carnival goes to on a closed loop cruise from an US port that requires a PP when entering their country from a cruise ship.
Not yet anyway. I really can't see that happening anytime soon either, but if it does at least I'll know I'm prepared.

I didnt know anyone WITH a PP until about 2 months ago. She got it only because she was taking a Mediterrain cruise on NCL so she had no choice.

A passport is piece of mind. I would rather pay a few bucks to make sure everyone in my family has one, then not have one in case it is needed all the sudden whether it be a cruise, or some crazy war.

It's not inplausable to have to leave suddenly.. you never know what can happen.

Not to single any country out but for example the US has invaded 2 countries in the past 8 years and I'm sure people in those people in those countries with passports were thankful to be able to leave them to avoid the slaughter.

i work for a major airline as does my dh. we can travel anywhere in the world we want, for free. :)

we choose to stay a wee bit closer to home. i have no passport. i have no desire to travel right now too far away from home.

i'll cruise and when i'm absolutely forced to pay for a passport, i'll do it then...maybe. if not, i'll stick with a passcard. there are plenty of beautiful places to visit right here in the U.S. of A.

This applies to Europe cruises and (maybe) South American cruises. You do not need to show your passport on Caribbean/Bahamas cruises.

The philadelphia records place said they would put it in as a special request and had it for us the next day(today) my friend now has his birth certificate and we are set to leave for our flight friday morning!

YAY! Kyle, so glad it worked out ok. You and your friend have a GREAT cruise!

And thanks for coming back and letting us know it was resolved. :)

The philadelphia records place said they would put it in as a special request and had it for us the next day(today) my friend now has his birth certificate and we are set to leave for our flight friday morning!

Have a great cruise and make sure you know where his birth certificate is;). Glad it all worked out.

Archived