Girdwood - things to do in the area

calmac

Although we like touring around areas we're not keen on spending 1 night in one place and then moving on for another 1 night stay. With this in mind we thought it might be possible to stay for 3 nights in Girdwood and use that as a base for touring the area. Does this seem sensible? Could we get to Seward and Whittier easily? What else is there to do within easy travelling distance of Girdwood?

I'm guessing you will have a car? My husband and I spent a night in Girdwood at a B&B and went on a helicopter glacier tour the next day. We've never taken the tram up the mountain, but we will some day. The Wildlife Conservation park is nearby and well worth the admission, lots of animals to see. Portage Glacier is another close attraction. The visitor's center has lots to see and there is also a cruise boat that will take you to view the glacier, which you can no longer see from the visitor's center. Seward is going to be at least a 2 hour drive, but very scenic drive. You also may want to turn off onto the Sterling hwy and take a trip along the Kenai lake and river...very pretty...just depends on what you want to do...or see. We have lived here for 10 years and do a lot all over the state...let me know your particular interests and maybe I can give you some other ideas.

Archived