Independance Of The Seas advice

happidaze

I am so excited! Havibg 2 lads 16 and 14, we were very set on booking RCI "I O T S" for Christmas 09.

However, we decided to book the Oriana P & O, as family will also be travelling with us over the festive period on that ship.

Still extremley keen on what the I O T S has to offer, we decided to book the 4 night trip on her from Southampton to Cork (Ireland).

It looks wonderful! Booked today and am full of it :D

First off is the Windjammer the buffet restaurant (no surcharge?), feel free to through all your experiences at me!

I am so excited! Havibg 2 lads 16 and 14, we were very set on booking RCI "I O T S" for Christmas 09.

However, we decided to book the Oriana P & O, as family will also be travelling with us over the festive period on that ship.

Still extremley keen on what the I O T S has to offer, we decided to book the 4 night trip on her from Southampton to Cork (Ireland).

It looks wonderful! Booked today and am full of it :D

First off is the Windjammer the buffet restaurant (no surcharge?), feel free to through all your experiences at me!

Yes the Windjammer is a buffet and there is no surcharge....and there are lots of other places on the ship to keep those growing lads full up on food - good for you food and other stuff too.

IMHO: The Indy has so much more to offer your teens than any other cruise ship on the oceans. So much to do and such a variation of activities - something for everyone. You will be amazed! Ice show is a must. Ice skateing with the teens will be a blast too. Just be sure to have socks and long pants. Enjoy :)

Wow! Thanks Petel, love the comment on how they will keep amused aboard :)

It seems such a huge ship!

It is huge but it is also really comfortable. You can get from one end to the other on all decks except deck 3. You can go almost anywhere on the ship in 5 minutes inside or outside so weather doesn't matter. There is so much to do that anyone who says they are bored just doesn't want to do anything. (remembering one of my teens) AND, there is so much to eat that you might want to make special arrangements to ship them off to relatives after the cruise so you can stock up your kitchen. :)

In short, you picked a perfect ship and you and family will love it. Enjoy :)

I

am so excited! Havibg 2 lads 16 and 14, we were very set on booking RCI "I O T S" for Christmas 09.

It looks wonderful! Booked today and am full of it.

I've just been on the Indy with my teenage kids. The IOS is amazing!! You just cannot compare the Oriana to the IOS - absolutely NO comparison. Your kids are going to be very bored on the Oriana after the Indy. Seriously consider the Indy for Xmas '09!! P&O - sadly just doesn't match up for teens (or me!!!!). The facilities for teens is incredible on Indy - surfing, ice skating, disco's, party's and there are things for them to do until the early hours. They can NEVER be without something. That goes for the adults too.

Oh no! Maybe I should now have done it the other way around, then again I could always move my P and O deposit, but a bit difficult as going with other family on P and O.

I see you are near Southampton, English Rose. We are doing the quick cruise to Cork in Ireland (there is only 2 dates which IOTS are doing that one)

Have you also done P and O then?

We have only done Thomsons so looks like I will be in for a suprise!

Yes, I have been with P&O and I have done the Cork trip on RCCL Navigator of the Seas. Sorry, I really didn't mean to worry you, but really, P&O ships are so much smaller and their facilities are very different and to be honest, I won't cruise with P&O anymore, despite them having some good Caribbean itineraries. The ships just don't have the amenities or the service of RCCL. That doesn't mean that you won't have a good time. Being with your family at Xmas does make it more important. You could move your P&O to one of their 'weekend' cruises - they do have them too. I've cruise RCCL over the past 5 Xmas holidays and the Indy was the best of them all. There are so many 'family' friendly things going on that you could all do together, or if your kids are really into the 'teen thing' - you just won't see them. The entertainment is just first class.

Again - sorry to worry you. I'm sure your cruising experience will be what you make of it, it's just my honest opinion from my past cruising experiences.

No problem englishrose, always nice to hear what people think having had first hand experience.

Did you do the Cork one for a first RCI cruise? What is Cork like? Read somewhere there is a Titanic expedition nearby. We really are more interested in the ship, not too bothered where it is going to.

When you are onboard the ship, as there are so many passengers, do you have to book to use the ice skating rink and similar facilities?

No you don't have to book the ice skating, the rock climbing, surfing or anything like that. The Compass will publish the times available and you just turn up. I have never felt less crowded on a ship than I did on the Indy which was full during the holiday cruise.

You dock in Cohb and you get to Cork on the railway which is right there at the terminal. We didn't venture to Cork - like you, we were there for the ship. We were blessed with great weather on the Bank Holiday (August) in 2007. We just got off and walked around for a bit - it's just OK really. All we wanted to do was get back on again and use the facilities on board. On the Indy - there's even more to do.

You'll have a great time!!

• 6 months later...
Just over a month for our maiden voyage on The Independance.

I have had my tickets on which say we can go onboard from 2pm, however have I read elsewhere that you can do this earlier?

You can usually board from 11;30 onwards so get there nice and early

You can always have Indie's 18n Christmas cruise 2010 instead....!

• 1 month later...

Archived