New England cruise, Rockland or Portland?

depplep

I'm looking at booking a Canada/New England cruise for this October and the itineraries are the same other than one goes to Rockland, Maine and the other goes to Portland. Can anyone tell me if one stop is more interesting than the other? Or any reason for choosing one over the other?

I'm looking at booking a Canada/New England cruise for this October and the itineraries are the same other than one goes to Rockland, Maine and the other goes to Portland. Can anyone tell me if one stop is more interesting than the other? Or any reason for choosing one over the other?

Rockland, Maine is a relatively new port of call for cruise ships and so you may not get many responses from cruisers who have visited there. Portland is a big city and Rockland is a small Maine town on the seacoast. Portland probably has a better infrastructure and has been the point of departure for many Maine excursions over the years so things may be better organized there initially while Rockland's infrastructure may be less developed and it is probably still evolving as a cruise ship destination. Check out the excursions being offered from both ports and see if one has more to offer than the other.

Our cruise went to Portland, and we enjoyed our day there. We picked up a map from one of the tourist info booths right outside the port, and we walked around to see the sights...a very laid-back, inexpensive day.

Portland is also where I ate the yummy lobstah pictured in my avatar :p

Thanks for the quick reply, will do.

You might also want to check whether or not the ship docks in Rockland. It does in Portland but you may have to tender in Rockland which can be a bit less convenient and may sometimes make stopping there a bit "iffy".:) When I was there several years back the Farnsworth library in Rockland housed a collection of Andrew Wyeth's paintings. Wyeth passed away quite recently and some of his work is quite admired.

Being from Maine for over 40 years, I can give you a good idea of what to expect in both ports. Portland is the largest city in Maine (but still not big compared to cities throughout the US). It has a very nice section called the Old Port which I enjoy - lots of shops and restaurants. Check out Dimillos floating restaurant. Great fried clams.

Rockland is a small city/town on the Coast of Maine. It is much more like what people would refer to as a fishing town. Probably not much to see, but you will get the real feeling of Maine in Rockland. My husband and I feel that Rockland is much more scenic than Portland.

Either area is good - it just depends on what you want to do. If you go to Rockland, and the cruise line offers it, take a schooner trip. The coastline is breathtaking.

Being from Maine for over 40 years, I can give you a good idea of what to expect in both ports. Portland is the largest city in Maine (but still not big compared to cities throughout the US). It has a very nice section called the Old Port which I enjoy - lots of shops and restaurants. Check out Dimillos floating restaurant. Great fried clams.

Rockland is a small city/town on the Coast of Maine. It is much more like what people would refer to as a fishing town. Probably not much to see, but you will get the real feeling of Maine in Rockland. My husband and I feel that Rockland is much more scenic than Portland.

Either area is good - it just depends on what you want to do. If you go to Rockland, and the cruise line offers it, take a schooner trip. The coastline is breathtaking.

I was born and raised in Maine. I moved to Florida in 2005. I must agree 100% with Patti's opinion. Either way, have a great time! And tell all my peeps I said HI :-)

Ricky

Hey Rick

I must have followed you down!!! My husband and I moved from Bangor to Florida in 2006!

And moved very close too, I live in Wesley Chapel, right next door! In Maine I lived in Brunswick and worked in Portland.

Small World!

Thanks for the input. Looks like we're leaning towards Portland. RCCL's website doesn't list excursions for Rockland, I'm going to look at the tourism bureau's website information.

We've been to Rockport in Mass, is that comparable to Rockland?

I like to excursion that takes you to Kennebunkport as well.

Archived