Review ! Daysail on the "Fantasy"

CRUISAYEAR

Just count our group of six as more delighted temporary crew of the "Fantasy".

We were met at the dock next to the Golden Princess on 10-25-04, by Wally, the driver that Pam and Brian Heath, the owners of this beautifully restored sailing yacht set us up with.

He took us on a short tour before getting us to the yacht harbor at Red Hook where we were introduced to the Captain and her first mate.

We were taken out to the boat in a motorized dinghy which also followed us on a tether throughout the day.

Upon boarding the Fantasy we were offered fresh fruit, and homemade nutbread and were familiarized with the boat. It has berths down below, a full galley, and clean restroom (head).

We sailed out into the bay on our way over to the coast of St.John, where we would anchor in several different bays for snorkling. A wonderful time was had by all, even those who had never snorkled before, with the instruction and guidance of Brian who was in the water with the group to help find and describe underwater flora and fauna. We saw hundreds of fish and we were very popular as we fed them.

After a gourmet lunch, we stopped at yet another snorkling spot in another quiet uncrowded bay.

The wind did not cooperate with us this day, but Fantasy is equipped with an inboard engine for those times when she is becalmed.

The ice cold Rum drinks flowed freely and free all day and by the time we had to return to Red Hook, we were giggling group indeed.

Anyone who would consider spending the $119pp to go on the ships "All day champagne sailaway to St. John" should consider a sail on the Fantasy. At $110pp (cash) or $120pp (credit) this was a bargain for having a group of six. (minimum of 2)

Pam and Brian will customize your day to your wishes including beach combing for shells. They are able to take you to whereever the wind and waves are calm for good snorkling, and unlike the ship sponsored trips, they will take you to multiple places.

Best day of our entire cruise, and since we had 6 additional people who wanted to do this also, they set our other group up on a tandem sail with us aboard the "Winifred"

Here's links to their websites http://www.daysailfantasy.com

and http://www.sailwinifred.com

Cruiseayear,

Thanks for the great review, we have the Fantasy booked in January. A couple of questions. Did they arrange for your transportation, or did they suggest someone? How much was it to get to the tour and then the return? How did you return to the ship? We did a a tour in Grand Cayman and had a heck of a time getting a cab back to the ship, so I am a little leary now. Did they have lunch on the ship? Any special things that we should take with us for the tour?

Glad to hear that you had a good time. I will be so ready for this type of get away after the holidays.

Thanks for your help,

Colleen

Hi Driftwoodgal ! We meet again. You will enjoy this as much as we both enjoyed touring with the now well known Oscar.

See my review on the "Princess cruises" page entitled "Golden 10-24-04 Motley cruisers return" for more info on Fantasy.

To answer your question, Just tell Pam on the phone that you would like to have "Wally" pick you up at the ship, and return you. She will set this up for you. He charged $7pp each way for a total of $14pp. He was waiting on the pier for us with a sign with my name on it, just steps away from the gangplank.

He will get you to Red Hook yacht harbor by 9:30 which is when Pam wants you there. But if you can get off the ship as early as you can, Wally will throw in a nice tour of the area for no extra charge. He had a nice air-conditioned 15 passenger Ford van.

As far as what to bring, all you will need is a beach towel from the cabin, lots of sunscreen of the white cream type. (the oil type is bad for their boat). I highly recommend you buy an underwater camera. If you can find one that has a zoom lens, and a flash, that would be best. I got some great shots with a $7 disposable Fuji from The local Target store, but could have gotten much better shots if I had not cheaped out.

Yes, they will make you a wonderful lunch. They will also probably have fresh fruit, and homemade nut bread upon boarding, although we had a nice room service breakfast on our balcony before going out to meet Wally.

Enjoy !, and don't forget to report on your expierience.

• 1 year later...

Archived