Ventura`s caribbean cruise 2009

honeymooner2009

As been stated its really empty at the Metropolis, if you want to let your hair down you'll be on your own there. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the Metropolis, the cityscape video wall was a letdown for me.

Each to their own, some people like the peace the quiet and the fact able to have a social drink or two and I personally like it and would go there again!

I'm not knocking it, it was just under used and a big space. Refresh my memory as to its location, is it near the White Room.

It's one deck above The White Room, Deck 18 Aft. We spent almost every night in there at some point. So much so that severel bar waiters addressed me by name! :eek:

Eddie

No it has all 4 lifts that go there, the only lift that goes to deck 19 is the right hand ones as you walk out of it.

Okay so what's the next compliant about it....

To be honest if your after a nice pleasant drink where the staff are friendly and remember your orders without having to be told then it is the place to go and i'm with supered it was a nice place to retreat to at the end of the day.

Ohh how i remember those blue lagoon cocktails........

We were on Ventura 6th - 21st December and had a lovely time. We found the Metropolis Bar on the first night, and used it almost every night of our holiday. We found this to be a lovely, quiet bar where you could have a decent conversation. One of the bar stewards said the next cruise would be horrendous, he said the christmas cruises are usually the worst:eek: so reading the newspapers he was right!!

I would cancel. Sorry but I don't see how things will change for the next Christmas and new year cruise. ventura is a ship for british families right.

We are in a recession so you are going to see lots and lots of cheap last mintue deals to fill the ship as last year.

It's a grand class ship with an extra level built on and the same limited space for sunbeds.

The people that caused the trouble last year will be the ones that love it the most and will return on those last minute deals.

P and O do not have the guts to control people.

So what can honestly change ?

No it has all 4 lifts that go there, the only lift that goes to deck 19 is the right hand ones as you walk out of it.

Okay so what's the next compliant about it....

To be honest if your after a nice pleasant drink where the staff are friendly and remember your orders without having to be told then it is the place to go and i'm with supered it was a nice place to retreat to at the end of the day.

Ohh how i remember those blue lagoon cocktails........

Why so touchy ? I am not knocking it.

Just returned from ventura and joined cruise shortly after the christmas one with problems - because of the two day overlap of flights/passengers on the friday and Saturday we were talking to people who had overlapped with the passengers from the christmas cruise - all confirmed that there was no chav elemant and certainly no trouble - apparently the press had totally exaggerated the story and most cruisers wre totally unaware of the fight that had occured in the early hours in Havana - those concerned were locked in the Brig and thrown off at the next island - it invovled rival families I understand form Manchester.

Throughout our cruise there was no trouble and no rowdy or drunken behaviour - I actually thought it was one of the quietest and relaxed cruises I have ben on

ps there were about 8 weddings and some renewal of vows on the cruise and those we met had a fantastic day and honeymoon.

Whats on the 19th deck ?

Cirque Ventura. Although from the end of March they wil be removing some of the equipment to make way for more sunbeds. :D The bungee trampolines will remain along with some other things.

Eddie

I guess its that quiet in there, they want first name terms with the few and far between.

Is deck 18 the level where you can only take the lift if your at that end of the ship. All the other lifts don't go up as far.

Yes -you are correct stopgo:)

I don't think 'all lifts go to deck 18 Metropolis bar' I seem to remember we had trouble getting to deck 18, and had to walk the length of the ship to get the correct lift up there.

You can only get to Deck 18 Metropolis bar by going to the aft lifts. All four lifts will go to Deck 18, however only 2 go to Deck 19. Staggered enough times out of there so remembered you can turn left or right dependent which set of lifts come :-)

Hi Lynfra,

We are going on the cruise on 14th Fenruary as well. Have you received any reply from P&O?

We received a "strange" letter out of the blue from P&O at the end of January 2009warning us that we "only" have dining chairs on our balcony and theres no room for sun loungers!!

No wonder they have such problems up on deck!!!!!!!!!!

I've written back to them basically asking why bother writing to us unless they think this to be a big problem, and that it IS disappointing that we cant lounge on our balcony especially given the problems on deck and the extra cost of a balcony suite!! I have asked whether they would consider this a "significant" change in booking conditions on their part ( since it clearly shows loungers on our grade of cabin in the brochure we used to book with- it does seem this picture has now changed to show just chairs! ), and whether therefore we are entitled to a full refund if we want to cancel. We wait for there reply!! We probably would not have bothered with a balcony if we had known!!

However we are relaxed either way- it looks as if the problems were not that bad- and

we will enjoy ourselves whatever happens!!

We cruised many times before, and solutions to any problems are always available even if it means bending the ear of the Captain!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I understand that P&O have basically agreed that the Ventura format has not worked very well, and has not been as popular as they thought. Anybody would soon

come to the conclusion we came to as soon as we heard about the Ventura- how can P&O fill it with families 52 weeks of the year!!!!!!!!

No reply yet---the letter has arrived though as I tracked it. I am not holding my breath, their customer relations seem to be in need of a shake up.

I suppose as the recession hits they might eventually start to take notice of their customers!

lynn

Hi Lynn,

Unfortunately, P and O are part of a big group and as such neither P and O nor its passengers are high priority!!!

Two tips for the Barbados based cruise: book in early at the airport to get good seats on the plane- you can try and get a set of two by the window- remember its the same seats back as out!! and if you can, get out into town or at least to the port shops to get any provisions you need before sailing.

Richard

Firstly, its usually a little known fact that you can upgrade your flight at the time of booking your cruise ( or even after if you are lucky ) by paying extra and have more legroom and better attention from the stewardess etc. However, these premium seats which are at the front of the plane go quick so must be booked early- we've just booked for March 2010 and they had already gone!! When we first saw this section of the plane we thought it must be for the posh cabins only!!!

As regards arrival time at airport, its difficult to say how early.

We fly from Bournemouth.

Last time we arrived 3.5 hours before the flight to find that the check in desks were already open for our flight and there were already long queues and we got poor seats!!! We are going to arrive about 4 hours before the flight this time!! However its then upsetting to arrive early and find that the flight is delayed! just remember that when you check in, ask if there are any good seats left. Whats a good seat depends on your preferences and the layout of the seats on the plane. Some planes have just two seats together by the windows towards the back. Remember that it will be a night flight at least one way- if you want a quiet area dont be near the loos ( not only because of the queues but because people tend to

chat in those areas ). We've had seats in the emergency exits before which give extra legroom but then again, the extra space can attract

people who just wander about and want to chat to anybody who shows any interest.

A final tip is that Barbados airport is expensive for drinks and food so try and take provisions with you when you leave the ship!!

Another final final tip- try and enjoy the last day/hours on board- dont just sit there in your jeans and winter coat waiting for your flight announcement- go in the pool or sunbathe etc- the ships alot quieter!!

3.5 hours before hand :eek:

Our flight is at 9.15 which means turning up at 5am to get good seat? I finish work around 2am and then have a 1 hour drive home (past the airport). Then ist 30 minutes back to the airport. So I will get about 1.5 hours sleep the night before :mad:

Chris

Take ear plugs and sleep on the plane!!!

Why is it that we either have to get up before the birds or depart for the airport way past our bedtimes!!!!!!!!!

The worst flight we had was when we went on a cruise with P and O sailing from Accapulco. It took nearly 24 hours to get onto the ship- the flight was delayed, we went via Canada ( for refueling and picking up the food and drink - but we arrived before the airport opened and the catering was not there so they had to ration the water and the malesers for the rest of the flight ( only food )!!! ), then on arrival we had to stand in a queue at Accapulco airport for two hours! we said never again, but being stupid, we forget and do these things again!!

Archived