Going without the kids - how much to pay sitter?

budamom

I am posting this on this board in hopes of getting some advice from other families who may have had this question before.

My husband and I are going on an Alaskan cruise in late May. The kids aren't going. They will be ages 16, 13 and 11 (2 boys and girl youngest), and will still be in school when we go. They are extremely independent and can/will all cook/clean/do laundry. I guess I should mention that except for sibling rivalry, they are all good kids - eagle scouts, sports, etc. No major teenage issues to date, thank God.

We will be gone a total of 9 nights. The lady who will be staying with them is 32, no kids and is bringing her dogs. She will be using my car and gas card to commute to work for the 4 day workweek, and will use the big family SUV if she needs to take the kids.

I am clueless as to how much to pay her, and she won't name a price. I know she enjoys the kids, but I want to be sure I pay her enough that we might be able to do something like this again sometime.

I'd appreciate any advice/feedback/experiences you might be able to add.

I guess I should mention that we are just outside of Austin, TX if that makes any difference in rates.

I would say if she is using your car and your gas, that might be payment enough for her if she is not naming her price. I admit the last 2 cruises we have been on we haven't paid a babysitter as we have a set of grandparents living here in town that they just came and stayed at the house with my kids. The next one in 2010 the kids are coming along for the first time.

I would say if she is using your car and your gas, that might be payment enough for her if she is not naming her price. I admit the last 2 cruises we have been on we haven't paid a babysitter as we have a set of grandparents living here in town that they just came and stayed at the house with my kids. The next one in 2010 the kids are coming along for the first time.

No, you'll have to pay her something. Gas and use of the car isn't enough. Sorry I really don't know the going rates. Has she ever babysat for you before, or for anyone else you know?

Yes, she stayed with our oldest son for Labor Day weekend last year. We had an RV trip planned, and he had to stay home for his job (lifeguarding). That time, it was just him. I left her cash of $120 for the two days for her and a credit card for any incidentals.

Talk with her again. If she's only with the kids a few hours during the week and they help out and she's doing weekends and evening, then $500 sounds good. But again ask to see if she's comfortable with that amount. She can factor in gas and car allowance and see that it's a good deal. Plus, think about getting a nice souvenir from the vacation. Not a t-shirt or something cheezy, but something to show your appreciation.

Since I don't go outside my family for babysitters, I can only mention how much a babysitter I know makes. I used her as my "mommie's helper" on my wedding day. This is all she does for a living. Her overnight rates are $100 per night for the first child and $50 for additional children....no matter what the ages are. If she is a friend of the family and this isn't her only means for money, I would pay her no less than $75 per day for all 3 kids. She may only physically watch the children for a few hours, but she is there to keep them safe while they sleep to. That is well worth $75 per day.

As an above poster mentioned...do not think of her using your car or gas card as payment. I would find that insulting if I were her. She must be doing it to accommodate you without costing her more money.

A friend on mine is a nanny and she felt uncomfortable naming a price. She was asked to watch two kids- ages 1 and 2 for a weekend. She told me that she gets $ 150 per day to watch the kids. So I said double that and charge $ 300 per day. This would mean $ 600 for the weekend (Fri-Sun). Obviously these were small children. I took that into account because teens are in school and are pretty self-sufficient. So I think that $60 per day- considering the woman is still going to her regular job and this is just a suppliment seemed reasonable. I personally would do it for $500. Seems like fairly easy money.

Thanks to all for the input. I was thinking in the $500 - $650 range, so I guess I wasn't too far off. As far as the car and gas, i wasn't trying to make that part of the payment. I just didn't want her to incur any additional expense since my house is farther for her commute to work.

Like others have said, the car/gas is an extra, NOT payment as you know. When I did this last, in 1993, I used to get $100 for an overnight, $150 per 24 hours, this was for a 10 yr old, a 7 yr old and a 16 yr old. I did still go to my regular job during the day, but I was essentially replacing the parent. Had a kid gotten sick during the day, I would have had to leave work and go get them. This was an affluent area of Ma, but with the 17 years since, in inflation, I would lean towards $1000 for the 9 days. I pay $500 for my dogs for a 10 day cruise... just mentioned for comparison, it's a HUGE responsibility she's taking on.

I have a summer nanny that I pay 150 per day I would lean towards the 900.00 range esp. since you will be gone for 9 days.

We are booked for a March cruise and will be paying her the same rate (150) for that time frame per day. We also leave her money for gas, food and fun stuff - like movies ect...

Hope that helps.

I have a summer nanny that I pay 150 per day I would lean towards the 900.00 range esp. since you will be gone for 9 days.

We are booked for a March cruise and will be paying her the same rate (150) for that time frame per day. We also leave her money for gas, food and fun stuff - like movies ect...

Hope that helps.

Can I be your nanny? :D When I was a summer nanny for a family in Chicago (oh, about 20 plus years ago) I used to make $75 a week with Mondays off. That was for 4 kids. I lived with them and they did pay for my food, but, my how times have changed!

Back on topic. I would think that $500-$600 would be plenty. Make sure the fridge and cabinets are stocked & leave extra money for other incidentals that might come up.

Can I be your nanny? :D When I was a summer nanny for a family in Chicago (oh, about 20 plus years ago) I used to make $75 a week with Mondays off. That was for 4 kids. I lived with them and they did pay for my food, but, my how times have changed!

Back on topic. I would think that $500-$600 would be plenty. Make sure the fridge and cabinets are stocked & leave extra money for other incidentals that might come up.

Yes I totally hear you times have changed! I was a nanny in Boston about 20 years ago and got 4 dollars an hour (under the table of course). But one thing to understand, if I sent my 3 kids to summer camp I woul dbe paying about 2x's what I am paying my summer nanny. It is alot of money any way you slice it.

We just paid our full time nanny 2000 for caring for our three yr old for 9 days. I would say your situation is a bit different, but you're paying a person to be a parent and be available 24/7, so I would say at least $1000. Guess it also depends on how much you might want her to do it again in the future.

Archived