A Little Help, Please

sogamusicman

The DW and I are considering a cruise out of Charleston in April. We've cruised Carnival and HAL, but are interested in branching out. Without flaming, please, share your thoughts in comparing the experiences. Please only answer if you've actually sailed other lines. All opinions appreciated.

On a second thought, anyone sailed from Charleston? Any tips - we're considering Park and Cruise - anyone done that?

THANKS!!!!!!!!

SOGA

I've cruised on Carnival, Princess and NCL. I'd jump at the chance to cruise on either Princess or NCL again......but the only way you'd get me on a Carnival ship is if there was a unique itinerary, or some special program only available on Carnival that I just had to participate in.

To me -- Carnival is gaudy, flashy; sort of cheap-end-of-Las-Vegas glitzy; over-the-top decor (and I'm really not the sort of person that notices it all that much...but when we cruised on Carnival (twice) it just jumped out at us!); very much a party-all-the-time atmosphere. There was a certain intensity to the cruises..we felt pressured to "be ON" all the time, and "PAAARRRTTY" all the time. Announcements -- endless announcements over the speakers. We had to open our doors all the time to hear them...and most of the time they weren't anything of serious concern, or interest to us. Pressure to buy stuff. Pressure to drink.

I will say that we had very good service, spacious cabins, attentive and helpful crew, great food, on Carnival; -- it was more "atmosphere" than anything else.

Whereas on NCL, things were much more laid back, very little pressure to do much of anything we weren't interested in, a more calm and relaxed attitude. Princess was more "upscale", sophisticated, quietly elegant. I suspect HAL is even more so (but again, I haven't been on HAL. Maybe next time.)

Anyway, that's my opinion. I'm waiting for the flames, too. :)

Soga, Do not know what ship you are interested in, But We are sailing on the Majesty4/11/09. We also have never sailed anything but Carnival,Please check out the posts by Radio he is on the Majesty now! and giving daily reports, plus pixs makes me feel like we will be fine!RogBus101.

for the first Bermuda sailing in 2008. I had been on Celebrity and HAL prior. I was aware that Majesty was older and had smaller cabins. But I was pleasantly surprised by the interior which was (without a tall atrium) just as pretty as anything I'd seen before on a cruiseship. The front desk service was helpful, with good attitude. Waiters, stewards, really everyone aboard were like a big, happy family so service was great.

Menus looked the same on paper but were not of the same quality I'd had on HAL and X. I did not starve, however. But I did not gain weight, either, if that tells you something.

We used Marriott points to stay free at the Courtyard Marriott where they allowed us to leave the car all week free of charge. It was not a package deal. They just have lots of indoor parking (under the hotel) so allow it. We drove in the night before the cruise, went downtown to eat and enjoy the history. On Saturday we took Safety Cab to the pier. They were $5 set fee.

Archived