Princess Misty Fjords Boat Excursion

RS79

RS79,

I have not ridden the boat into Misty Fjords, but prior to my Alaska trip last summer, I did plenty of research on this excursion.

First question is, is the cruise you are going on going to pass through the Tracy Arm? The reason I ask is because in my opinion there is a lot of duplicity between the terrain/wildlife, espescially if venturing into Misty Fjords on a boat.

From what I recall in my research, it's a pretty lengthy boat ride (luckily the ride is relatively smooth), and they take you decently deep into the National Park, as far back as New Eddystone Rock (you'll see a lot of Eagle nests there), maybe further.

It'd probably be worth the trip out there if you've never been, but I think to truly get in the heart of the Misty Fjords you have to take a floatplane. We went with someone reccomended on this board and she was very polite, safe, knowledgable, and fun. She flew us around for over an hour and we landed in the Fjords and spent about 30 minutes on a beach. Totally breathtaking. The air smells so wonderful and it's so quiet and tranquil. We were there with only 5 other people and it was a humbling experience. I'd go as far as saying it's one of the best experiences of my life. I'd think a boat with several hundred other people might take away from the experience, and as I said it'd probably be a similar experience to Tracy Arm.

My fiance was very worried/scared about flying in a small plane, but there was actually more room than the commercial flights we'd been on, the ride was smoother, and you could tell safety was a top priority. She was all grins after we'd been in the air for 30 seconds. Bonus side is the excursion didn't take up more than several hours, so we had plenty of time to explore Ketchican.

By boat or airplane, I think it's untouched, natural beauty that is not to be missed. I've attached some pics to wet your appetite!

Ketchikan was my favorite stop on the cruise!!

2794606931_dbd67597db_b.jpg

2795409408_b6ff6cffee_b.jpg

2794595939_84f1ebf262_b.jpg

2795396406_0ceef96f4c_b.jpg

2795461390_d6c5b299e9_b.jpg

2795356544_174bb68334_b.jpg

Has anyone taken this excursion? We are considering this, but would like some feedback. The float plane is NOT an option! Thanks.

We did this excursion last September and I absolutely loved it. We were on an NCL Cruise so I'm not sure if Princess uses the same tour company or not. Our itinerary also included Tracy Arm Fjord and did not find duplicity. My pictures from Misty Fjords and Ketchikan are here (click).

Everyone is different in what they like. I'd recommend the tour.

Archived