Xpedition - age appropriate

Onessa

To veterans of the Xpedition cruise to the Galapagos Islands - I have a somewhat bookish 10 year old who has been pestering me to book a family cruise to the Galapagos Islands. She is our one-and-only so it would just be me, my husband, and her. She's travelled quite a lot - both in N. America, Europe, and Australia.

It is advertised as pretty much a "grown up" trip and I am inclined to tell her we'll need to wait a few years, but would appreciate any insight your experience could provide.:confused:

1) Were there children on your cruise? Approximate number and age range?

2) Did you have any direct experience with any of the kids on your cruise?

3) Based upon your experiences, what would be an appropriate minimum age for this cruise?

Any child who has enough sense to know that this is a special place will appreciate this cruise. I taught this age group for many years. Girls often mature earlier than boys, and an only child is more likely to be able to put up with adult conversations, learn from them, and even contribute if she knows how to ask "Why/ Why not?"

There weren't any children on my cruise and I doubt there will be many on yours. So she may have to be prepared to stay with you on all excursions. If she can swim, you may want to bring her own correctly sized snorkel equipment and wet suit. If she knows how to snorkel, she will have a great time. If she doesn't a few sessions in a pool would let her take part in the easy level. I can't imagine a child not wanting to snorkel, so this would be one way to prepare.

One problem might be the very late dinner time. There are canapes served about 7:30 just before the evening briefing (about the next day's excursions). Dinner is served after that so from 8 to 10:00. That is a long evening for a child. She may prefer to eat earlier. She could order room service before the briefing. In fact some of my fellow passengers did just that because they needed more time to digest their dinner before sleeping. There are hot dogs and hamburgers served at a grill, so she could have her choice of the richer fare or the more familiar fare. I know the crew will go out of their way to see that she has what she needs. There are movies, old sit-coms and National Geographic documentaries playing on the TV if she isn't a reader, but I suspect that she is.

You will of course have to make certain she has Hep A and any other shots your travel clinic deems appropriate.

A bit of research on Ecuador, Quito, South American history might help her place the information in context. But at her age, I wouldn't worry if she didn't understand all the Darwinian theory, the warring, the plundering by the Spanish, the pirates etc. As she gets older the information she is exposed to so wonderfully will be retrieved as needed.

Oh what a lucky family you are to be able to experience this together.

:D

Thanks Kami's Pal.

She just finished researching several South American counties for her Spanish class, including Ecuador. She is a VERY 'selective' eater and generally when we are travelling she gets a bit enraptured in the experience and needs to be reminded to eat, so I don't know that a late seating for dinner would be too bad for her.

Your daughter sounds delightful; the kind of student I looked forward to teaching. My own daughter was much the same way, i.e. 'bookish" and curious. She has continued her early enthusiasms. I enjoyed many trips with her. She climbed Kiliminjaro this past summer.

Hope you do try this excursion. From what is being posted this week about water getting rougher, perhaps the fall is the best time to go.

1) Were there children on your cruise? Approximate number and age range?

Yes, a six year old - a bit too young and she spoke only Russia, two boys (different families), one in 7th grade and one in probably 6th grade both absolutely loved it. There was also a teenage girl about 15 or so who also enjoyed it.
Did you have any direct experience with any of the kids on your cruise?
Yes, well except the 6 year old who didn't speak English. The kids were great. Interesting to get their perspectives and they were absolutely no trouble.
Based upon your experiences, what would be an appropriate minimum age for this cruise?
Gosh, it would depend on the kid probably at least 9 or 10. I would say if your daughter shows an interest go for it. Maybe it will inspire her educational decisons!

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Onessa, I was on the Xpedition cruise Nov 28-Dec 5. I was there with my mother in law, and after a few days, I realized I wanted my 10-year-old son to have this experience. There were no children on our cruise, so I asked one of the naturalists if he thought my son would be too young to bring along next time (yes, I NEED to go back--it was SO amazing!!!) He thought 10 was a great age for this cruise.

My son is also an only child, and quite mature. He loves to snorkel and really enjoys science. I want him to see these animals in their natural habitat and hopefully get an appreciation of how fragile the environment really is and how easy it can be to wipe out a species if we're not careful.

I've sent an email to another of the naturalists on board just to confirm he feels the same way. I can let you know when I hear back.

I'd be interested to know if you book and the date.

cathyreid@rogers.blackberry.net

Archived