What are rooms in the front of the ship like compared to the aft?

worry wart

There may be less movement in the middle of the ship than at either end, but there is litte difference between the from and the back of the ship.

Try this: Place a pencil across another pencil so they make a "t", when you push one end down, the other end goes up, but the middle does not go up or down as much. This is pretty much how a ship reacts to waves. Although due to the fact that a ship can be 1,000 or more feet long there is a little bit of "give" to it.

There is less movement midship than fore or aft , doesn't bother me , alot though it does bother, a good way to get over worrying about a ships movement can be cured with a trip on a DDG in the north atlantic in winter .

There is less movement midship than fore or aft , doesn't bother me , alot though it does bother, a good way to get over worrying about a ships movement can be cured with a trip on a DDG in the north atlantic in winter .

A trip on an LST in the Yellow China Sea will do it also. Being flat bottomed didnt help the ride.

frederick.BMP

Dave

Last March we sailed the Legend and had 2 of the very front cabins 5106 and 5108 (an extended balcony with an adjoining inside stateroom). I have sailed midship several times and I honestly didn't notice much more motion in the front than midship. Of course, I have never had any issues with motion even on the worst of sea days so I don't know how someone with motion sickness might fare. I highly recommend these cabins (although be warned, Camp Carnival is about 5 cabins down so there is a lot of traffic throughout the day). I didn't mind as I had 2 kids who practically lived in Camp Carnival so it was easy to peek out the door and know when was a good time to pick them up without standing in line. :p

We have had a cabin in the very front (across the front of the ship) on both the Freedom and the Triumph. We liked having the "private" balcony, however on both of these ships, these cabins are small. Seemed much smaller than other oceanview cabins we have had. However on the Freedom, our kids were next door in a handicapped accessible room and it was HUGE compared to ours. Tried to get them to trade, but no way! HA The motion does not bother us at all and I don't think there was more motion up there.

I can't speak for aft, but high and forward is our location of choice onboard. The only time I have noticed a lot more motion was on our Glory cruise a few weeks ago - the motion did seem more pronounced up there more than usual. Luckily DH and I don't seem to be affected by any kind of motion sickness and we love the location mainly because it's quiet. Very few passengers will bother to make their way all the way forward on the ship and there's a lot less hall traffic and noise compared to the one time we were midship. I'm sure it was a fluke, but that one midship experience was also the only time we were on a lower deck (deck 2 of the Victory) and it was the noisiest cabin we ever had - not just people in the hallways but awful banging from the inside walls as well like something mechanical making racket. The forward locations also force you to get a little more exercise since it's a looong walk all the way forward which is a good thing in my book!

Archived