Stingray and beach question

rteach1

I'd like to do the stingray tour, but...I'm a very poor swimmer and get seasick at the drop of an anchor, so I have questions:

1. With the most popular tours (Native Way, Moby Dick, Captain Marvin), is the water over one's head where the stingrays are? At any other point when we are out of the boat?

2. Is there a portion of the tour where you are on the boat for more than a few minutes while it is anchored? I'm fine when a boat is moving, it's the bobbing while it's stopped that gets me.

3. What is the beach like for the beach portion of the Rays, Reef, and Rumpoint tour? For the same reasons as mentioned above, I need calm, shallow water. Shaded areas would also be a plus.

Thank you for your help.

rteach1

The water is not over your head where the rays are but it will be when you are at the reef for snorkeling. If I was you I would be concerned about the seasickness if you do not get in the water at the snorkel stop. It will really depend on how rough the sea is that day. There is quite a bit of shallow water at rum point and there are shady areas.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Waiting in a still boat while anywhere around the stingray area can be really rough. My dh got really seasick while we were bobbing around while the guide tied our little jet boat that we rented to all the jet skis so they wouldnt float away. We should have gotten out immedately. If you can float, you can snorkel. Heck...even if you cant float you can snorkel cause you can wear a life vest. Just make sure your guide knows that you arent a strong swimmer and that you have a partner that can keep an eye on you. Have a great time!

Hi, I just got back from the tour with Nativeway. We had 13 plus 3 crew on boat.

I have recently had significant health issues and do not have any stamina yet. Went onto sandbar for rays - no problem. It was my fondest memory of this cruise.

Snorkeling - I tried it and had to cut my time short. If I had swallowed my pride and used the life vest that was offered - I think I would have been fine. Just a dumb guy thing...

All in my party had great time. The kids were "diving" down and picking up conch shells so the water couldn't have been more than 10-15 foot. No one wanted to leave.

The beach was great. Food ready and waiting when we arrived. It is typical beach fare - no gourmet meal but wonderful nonetheless... Local beer on draft was $2.00. Bottled American was $5. Cocktails were $8.

Bring small bills because change is only in Cayman dollars.

Would do it all over again. - as soon as I finish shoveling this snow...

They had both types.

The particular one that I turned down had a blow up tube that you could inflate or deflate as much as you wanted/needed.

Some of the kids used it and as I said, I let my "guy ego" get in the way.

Kicking myself now...

The kids (5-8yrs old) were able to relax and float on the surface to see the "fishies".

The other kids were diving down to get shells and having a great time.

Good Luck,

tom

Archived