Belize with kids

9illi9an

Okay, I've been lurking on this board for a LONG time, trying to find something the whole family can enjoy in Belize. At this point, I'm actually considering just staying on the boat.

We have three boys, ages 12, 8 and 5. Here's the problem I have with the activities I've found on Belize:

Cave tubing: I've read some glowing reviews, but also some reviews that led me to believe it's not as much fun as most seem to believe it is. It seems like a hassle to walk through mosquito-infested jungle to sit in a tube in cold water, gently float through a dark cave, and then make the long trek back to the ship. Plus, I'm afraid my 5-year-old would fall right through the tube!

Pyramids/ruins: I have no doubt whatsoever that my wife and I would love it. But the fear is that I shell out the money for the three boys, and they're bored out of their skulls and with the long ride to the sites. I remember visiting a pyramid in central Mexico when I was 12, and I didn't appreciate it as much as I would now. I'd rather not waste the money.

The beach: We're planning to go to the beach in Roatan, Cozumel and GSC, so scheduling a fourth beach day doesn't appeal to me too much.

It seems as though those are the only three activities in Belize. Am I missing anything? Please talk me out of staying on the ship!

Okay, I've been lurking on this board for a LONG time, trying to find something the whole family can enjoy in Belize. At this point, I'm actually considering just staying on the boat.

We have three boys, ages 12, 8 and 5. Here's the problem I have with the activities I've found on Belize:

Cave tubing: I've read some glowing reviews, but also some reviews that led me to believe it's not as much fun as most seem to believe it is. It seems like a hassle to walk through mosquito-infested jungle to sit in a tube in cold water, gently float through a dark cave, and then make the long trek back to the ship. Plus, I'm afraid my 5-year-old would fall right through the tube!

Pyramids/ruins: I have no doubt whatsoever that my wife and I would love it. But the fear is that I shell out the money for the three boys, and they're bored out of their skulls and with the long ride to the sites. I remember visiting a pyramid in central Mexico when I was 12, and I didn't appreciate it as much as I would now. I'd rather not waste the money.

The beach: We're planning to go to the beach in Roatan, Cozumel and GSC, so scheduling a fourth beach day doesn't appeal to me too much.

It seems as though those are the only three activities in Belize. Am I missing anything? Please talk me out of staying on the ship!

I laughed after seeing your post--after reading the Belize board, I have the exact same thoughts! We have 3 kids--ages 15, 13 and 8. I was considering a waterfalls/beach excursion, but would like to hear more from others who have done it. With the waterfalls, I would at least feel like we were seeing some of the rainforest/natural beauty of Belize. Then, maybe I wouldn't feel guilty for enjoying the beach part of the excursion!

I laughed after seeing your post--after reading the Belize board, I have the exact same thoughts! We have 3 kids--ages 15, 13 and 8. I was considering a waterfalls/beach excursion, but would like to hear more from others who have done it. With the waterfalls, I would at least feel like we were seeing some of the rainforest/natural beauty of Belize. Then, maybe I wouldn't feel guilty for enjoying the beach part of the excursion!

Sorry-getting my ports confused! The waterfalls/beach excursion is in Santo Tomas. I am looking at the NCL excursion offerings for Belize because of our shared thoughts about cave tubing and ruins trips. Which cruise line are you traveling on? Anyone tried NCL Belize excursions? Recommendations for those traveling with kids?

We were thinking the same but at the last minute, booked the Belize City Tour/ airboat excursion to the swamps. Hands down, BEST excursion I've ever been on of all my cruises. They have high safety standards, the staff was really nice, and I think the younger children on our boat had a good time. They certainly seemed excited. The tour part is basically pointing out things on the way to the swamps and telling you about their country. You stay on the bus. Then when you get to the swamps, you have a quick safety demo and get on the airboats. It was great.

Viv

I am happy to hear from someone who has been on the Belize City Tour and airboat trip! We can't decide what to do in Belize. We are on the Miracle Feb. 17 and it is our first cruise. We are seniors with back and heart troubles, so is the airboat something we could handle with out problems? What did you see on the boat for wildlife? Was it out in the sun or is the boat covered? How long did the boat trip take? Also how long was the city tour take and is there safe bathrooms to use in the city? Sorry to have so many questions, but we are new to cruise critic and I am not even sure if I am posting these questions right! Have you done any other excursions in Belize, Costa Maya or Isla Roatan? We also thought about Fins and Flippers, Altun Ha and River Wallace trip and Bacab Eco Park And Butterfly House in Belize and the glass bottom semi sub in Isla Roatan. Any good or bad information would be greatly appreciated!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!:)

I am happy to hear from someone who has been on the Belize City Tour and airboat trip! We can't decide what to do in Belize. We are on the Miracle Feb. 17 and it is our first cruise. We are seniors with back and heart troubles, so is the airboat something we could handle with out problems? What did you see on the boat for wildlife? Was it out in the sun or is the boat covered? How long did the boat trip take? Also how long was the city tour take and is there safe bathrooms to use in the city? Sorry to have so many questions, but we are new to cruise critic and I am not even sure if I am posting these questions right! Have you done any other excursions in Belize, Costa Maya or Isla Roatan? We also thought about Fins and Flippers, Altun Ha and River Wallace trip and Bacab Eco Park And Butterfly House in Belize and the glass bottom semi sub in Isla Roatan. Any good or bad information would be greatly appreciated!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!:)

Costa Maya we just stayed at the dock area. Look on the Costa Maya threads and people will have lots of ideas for you. Roatan, too. The newly rebuilt dock area has shops, a couple of restaurants, drinks stands, a very nice pool area with lounge

chairs, and a sandy beach with lounge chairs, but there were rocks in the water, so you'd probably prefer to swim in the pool.

There were plenty of seniors on our airboat excursion but the airboats have no covers (you are out for about an hour and it was fine for me, but we had a partly cloudy day) and there are quick turns. Once the boats get going, it's quite smooth, but it's pretty bumpy when they speed up and slow down, so I don't know if your back could take it. There are good bathrooms at the place where you get on the boats and a complimentary bottled drink each. The bus part was about 30 minutes, with no stops and I can't remember if there was a bathroom on the bus.

As far as wildlife, I saw many many birds of different varieties, and the "captain's mate" on the boat is good at pointing them out to you. I would highly recommend this for bird lovers. They also have manatee in the lagoon, although the manatee are apparently hard to spot, and due to environmental rules, the boats can't lure them over with food. We saw small crocodiles and several turtles.

Viv

We did the Altun Ha/River Wallace Tour. DH, myself and 3 DD's 19, 17, and 14. I think we all enjoyed it. We did the river first. The boat is not covered, take sun block. We didn't see much wildlife, but I heard of many that do. The boat goes fast enough for a nice breeze and slows for things occasionally. When you get off the boat, there's a nice little restaurant for a break. You then board an air-conditioned coach but for a drive to the ruins. Expect it to be hot there. You can climb ruins if you want or stay at ground level. Then we took the bus back to the city and port. Others did a reverse route. Sorry I can't help you with timing, those facts escape my memory. Incidentally, we had no problems with bugs. We were there in August last year.

Sally, I really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly and answering my many questions about the semisub etc. :)It helped alot and we will decide real soon! That's what I like about cruise critic is the way everyone trys to help other cruisers with answers to their questions. I am new to cruise critic but I have learned so much!!! I think I am hooked on it now!! Thanks again!:)

SallyForth, I think you've sold me on the airboat idea. Thanks very much for your post!

My question is whether this excursion is available through an independent company, or whether it is only available via the cruise line. I found a Belize City/Airboat excursion via NCL's site, but I haven't been able to find an independent excursion as of yet. It's about $80/person via NCL, and I'm hoping I can find something more reasonable elsewhere.

SallyForth, I think you've sold me on the airboat idea. Thanks very much for your post!

My question is whether this excursion is available through an independent company, or whether it is only available via the cruise line. I found a Belize City/Airboat excursion via NCL's site, but I haven't been able to find an independent excursion as of yet. It's about $80/person via NCL, and I'm hoping I can find something more reasonable elsewhere.

The company that did it was Bak-a-Bush and it seemed to be the only company on the lagoon. However, I think I remember reading with regard to other tour companies that if they have a contract with the cruise lines, then they can't sell to cruise passengers independently. I just looked online, and they won a Belize Tourism award last year and seem to operate under the umbrella of Chukka Adventures. This is a great picture of the airboat ride, but as I recall, the seating on ours was more tiered, like in a movie theatre.

http://www.chukkacaribbean.com/airboat.php

Viv

I believe there is a newer excursion called "Captain your own Boat" from coralbreezetours.com It seems pretty interesting as it combines an activity, driving your own boat with being outdoors in nature on the river. You may check this out and it may fit what you might be looking for. I agree there are not a lot of good choices for excursions. Anyone interested in the Boat tour that is going on the Carnival Miracle on Feb. 17, 2009 let me know as we can get a 10% discount if there are six or more people going. keep posting any suggestions for Isla Roatan, Casta Maya and Cozumel as we also are seeking the options.

Thanks,

Les

http://coralbreezetours.com

We've visited Belize twice, the latest was last week. The first time there, we really were blessed to find a wonderful independent tour guide. So wonderful, we asked for his card in case we returned. We used him again last week. Our DS, who is now 7 was not with us on our first trip there did go last week. Maurice truly loves little ones. He made the ruins come alive to my 7yo, and climbed to the top with us, which my son thought was great. I have a photo of the both of them on top. He also took us on a little trail on the grounds at Altun Ha and explained many things like plants and things. After that, he took us into the jungle to find the howling monkeys and the huge orange iguanas, which my son loved. If you want his email address, just ask and I'll post it. Maurice met us at the port with a sign and his brand new mini van. He will not take more than 5 or 6 people. He doesn't like bigger groups and since his new van isn't as large as the old one, he can't transport them anymore (gas is $10 a gallon, in Belize dollars, which are valued at half of an US dollar).

We recently cruised on the Carnival Glory (January 10 -17, 2009) with our two boys, ages 13 & 9. I booked the Altun Ha / Belize City tour through X-Stream Tours (http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.com) prior to our cruise. It was the same tour as offered through Carnival but half the price. We actually ended up having a private tour for the 4 of us with our own tour guide because the other couple scheduled for our tour arrived earlier and left with another guide. Our tour guide was Jenny - she was wonderful and very knowledgeable about Mayan and Belizean culture. The ride wasn't too long - maybe about 45 minutes. We spent quite a while at the site. Jenny never rushed us and was a wealth of information about the ruins and Mayan culture and folklore. She is part Mayan herself and was the first registered female tour guide in Belize. As part of our tour, we received a traditional Belizean lunch (Belizean chicken, rice and beans, coleslaw and fried plantain) as well as a soft drink.

I was a little nervous about Belize initially because I had heard many warnings against leaving the cruise port area if you weren't on a tour. When we initially seen Jenny - probably in her mid - twenties - I wasn't sure if this was such a good idea. However, at no time, did we ever feel threatened or even uneasy during our tour. Jenny also drove us all around Belize City and wile it is definitely impoverished, we did not see anything to cause us to be concerned for our safety.

Our boys really enjoyed the excursion and loved learning about the Mayan culture. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

We just got back from Belize, and I suggest you contact Nacho at NCQ Adventures. We (ages 18 - 50something) just loved going with him. We talked at length about his grandson, and I think he'd be kind, understanding, and totally tuned in to younger travelers.

• 1 month later...

We'll have a 4, 6 and 10 year old with us. I think we've settled on the snorkeling/Bannister Island/Manatee tour through Coral Breezes. I've heard it takes a while to get to the ruins and I know the mystique of the ruins would be over the heads of 4 and 6 year olds. The beach at Bannister Island has playground equipment and such, and you're only one that portion of the tour (if you choose to do the snorkeling) for about 2 hours, so it isn't an all day thing. I'm going mainly for the snorkeling and manatees, though I've heard good things about Bannister Island.

Just returned from a great cruise with a stop in Belize. I have 5 children ages 8 - 14. We did a lot of research here. We decided on Bacab Eco Park, http://www.bacabecopark.com/ The NCL ship called it Bacab Jungle Park. You can only book through your cruise ship. The reason we chose this:

1. My kids are always happy with a nice pool.

2. We were kind of interested in the butterfly pavillion. My kids did enjoy this, some more than others. The tour guide was great. I know more now about butterflies than I ever thought I would! Wasn't a long tour which was good for kids.

3. We thought that if they got bored, we could rent the kayaks there (but didn't need to do this.) They ended up swinging in the hammocks for a while (kids can be so easily entertained).

4. Everything else was just a bit too far. This was our 3rd time in Belize. The ruins were way over an hour to get to (did this years ago without kids). Cave Tubing - we did in the past and enjoyed it but the ride was about an hour or more. Bacab was about 35 min. by bus.

5. Decent price - $39 per child, $49 per adult and this includes lunch

We did enjoy our day at Bacab and the pool was great.

CAUTION about Bacab's pool slide: In our opinion, it is very dangerous. A couple went down it when we got there. They came to us because they saw we had children. They warned us that it was very fast. We told the kids to be very careful and follow the rules, which they did. My son's back got scratched up because he accidently laid down while going down. My daughter hit her head on the actual slide as she was coming off of the end of it because you go very fast and it is made of concrete. She was okay but did scream and cry at first. We did write this on the comment card and they seemed interested in knowing. Just be VERY careful with the slide.

MamaParrotHead

Hello, I was just looking at this excursion you are talking about and wondered if you have any idea how calm the water is here for snorkeling. My kids are fine snorkeling from the beach, but a little less sure from a boat. The water in Grand Cayman was very rough and scared them a bit:D Other than that I thought this tour looked good too considering the options.

Karen

Archived