Art Auctions: To those who bought Art

love2bonboard

You will not regret buying a Godard! We have quite a large collection of his including a special request gold and silver drawing he made for us that I absolutely love. I'm not sure if he is doing special request anymore, but the piece is brilliant.

While we were on the Diamond Princess this month, the art director mentioned that on the previous cruise, a passenger requested a custom Godard that Princess worked out with Godard. It is supposed to be 4' x 8' of the Lord's Supper done with his famous olives. The price was $230K plus the 10% auction premium to Princess. They also mentioned that the piece will be available later on as a limited edition release.

Have you seen his new line of paintings with coffee beans? We've seen a few that are very humorous.

We've never even considered buying anything on board, but through a curious turn of events, we found ourselves meeting the artist Viktor Shveiko. A nice guy with an interesting story to tell. What with one thing and another, we wound up buying one of his originals. We like it very much, but it wasn't cheap. It also wasn't done as an investment. Trouble is, it will probably wind up in a second home in Florida, not in our main residence. That makes it a questionable purchase, but what the heck, we met Viktor, ate with him, had our pictures taken with him, and even got a couple of meals in the Grill/Sabatinis for free. Plus wine every night in the gallery. Why, those alone knocked a hundred bucks off the cost. LoL

• 6 years later...
art auctions on cruise ships are NOT going to offer rare art or investment pieces. Those pieces would be in museums or in auction houses under very strict controls, not sitting out where they could be damaged by liquids, light, humidity, etc.

Do a search on these board about art auctions; you will find that some people are pleased with their purchases but many are not. As I have stated in a previous thread on this subject, the auction people get A LOT less friendly when I asked for certificates of provenance - a sure sign that something was amiss.

My degree is in Art History, I write the arts and cultural calendar for my local public radio station so I have some empirical knowledge in this area and thus never purchase "art" aboard cruise ships for the lack of provenance documents and because I support local artists in my own metro area.

Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info! :D