Is there Time for Pinel?

Kid Sensation

Hey we will be in St martin for the day via RCI from about 9:0-0a.m. to 5:00pm.

With getting off the ship, and then having to be on before 5:00p.m. Is there enough time to get to Pinel Island and stay 3 or 4 hours and then get back?

How often does the ferry boat run to the island? How often does it come back?

Also I am sure I have read about taxi's on the way there, but how about catching one on the way back. How do you suggest handling this?

Thanks for the help.

Some of the cruise lines offer an excursion to Pinel. If your's doesn't you should still have enough time to enjoy Pinel. The cab should take about 35 minutes- a little longer for the return. If you don't want to wait for a cab to fill up, you can pay the extra $ just to get an earlier start. I believe the ferries run every half hour. I would try to catch the 2:30 one. The 3 oclock still may give you enough time to get back to the ship. Best thing to do is get a cab driver that will agree to come back for you. And don't pay him for the trip to Cul de Sac. Pay him when he gets you safely back to the ship

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back in January. I love absolutely loved Pinel island. We took a taxi to the Culdesac about $30 from Philipsburg. You need to make arrangements for the taxi driver to come back to get you. No taxi stands there. It took about 30 minutes from the cruise docks to get there.

Once there you take a water taxi-ferry for $7 round trip. They only run on the hour from 10 to 4. 15 minutes to Pinel on Ferry.

Once there just plop your stuff on the sand. Beach chairs are 2 for 20. We bought them but next time I would not. At the most there was 30 people on island the whole day.

Two resturants are on the island but if you want to eat good food nice and cheap at the culde sac there is a nice little food stand with beer soda and food. The three of us ate and drank for $15 USD

Snorkling, swimming there was beautiful.

No one lives on island and there are no road just foot paths. We walked all over and just could not believe how beautiful and totally undeveloped this island is and I hope will remian.

There is a gift shop of sorts. King Tom has items for sale hanging from the trees. Birds in trees hanging in an out of the wind chimes.

I can't even begin to explain the beauty of this island. I am so glad we went island hopping. Would love to hear if you went.

Hi, Thanks for all the great info. A couple of questions: Is the $30 for the taxi to the ferry roundtrip or one way? Per person or per taxi? I'm guessing $7 for the ferry/water taxi is per person? also, RT or one way? Do you know of any place I can go for more info, i.e. website, etc.? We are there from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on a Tuesday - April 7th. Do you know what time the ferry starts running?

Thanks for your help. Sounds like the perfect way to spend the day!

Do you know if they have a web site if not chain car rental companies?

I don't know anything about a website.

What I DO KNOW is that we were on a Princess cruise to St. Martin in June 2007. We walked off the ship, walked a very short distance, and there were rental car facilities staffed by people who were delighted to rent cars to cruisers.

Some of the companies were household words, like Budget, Avis, National, Hertz, etc.

Enjoy!

AG

Hi, Thanks for all the great info. A couple of questions: Is the $30 for the taxi to the ferry roundtrip or one way? Per person or per taxi? I'm guessing $7 for the ferry/water taxi is per person? also, RT or one way? Do you know of any place I can go for more info, i.e. website, etc.? We are there from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on a Tuesday - April 7th. Do you know what time the ferry starts running?

Thanks for your help. Sounds like the perfect way to spend the day!

The actual cost of taxi cab was $22 one way. (not per person) But we paid $30 to ensure our driver would come back and pick us up when we needed. Ferry starts at 10 am only goes once an hour $7 per person roundtrip. Returning one an hour.

Just relax when you get there. 2 food places on island somewhat expense. But we ate at culdesac 3 people with drinks and food $15. Gift shop run by king Tom is really the only thing on island items hanging from tree for sale. No cars, roads etc. Only walking paths around the island.

Beach chairs cost 2 for 20 we paid but next time I would just drop items on beach and have fun.

I know this is somewhere out there, but my mind is mush right now. Please forgive me.

I arrive in St Maarten at 8am (ship time. I guess, RCI itinerary) if the ferry leaves at 10 am, will I be waiting for over an hour at the culdesac? I cant remeber St Maarten time vs. ship time.

What time does the ferry leave Pinel back to the culdesac?

Thanks, it loooks like Pinel it is, unless we have to wait to long to get there, then Lil Divi might be the way. My wife is leaning towards the easy, no brainer, excursion. I want to be on the nicest beach however.

We leave for Florida very soon !!!!!

Thanks for that. I'll be there on the 11th and that makes it easier on my feeble mind. :)

With you, it's a little more complicated.

I was addressing Chrisp's question above. His ship sails on the 8th, DST is in effect.

It appears that your's sails on the 7th. I can't anticipate what the captain will do with the ship's clock when he is at sea. I'm afraid that it could go either way. BUT, if they ask you to set your clocks ahead one hour, then you will be the same as St. Maarten.

gary

With you, it's a little more complicated.

It appears that your's sails on the 7th. I can't anticipate what the captain will do with the ship's clock when he is at sea. I'm afraid that it could go either way. BUT, if they ask you to set your clocks ahead one hour, then you will be the same as St. Maarten.

gary

Yikes, I take back the thanks for the uncomplication :D

It will be interesting to see if the ship switches to Daylight Saving Time...and if so, when.

Thanks for the info though. I hope no one misses the ship in port because of time mess ups. I remember in Cozumel people forgetting the difference from ship time to shore time and watching a cruise ship that looked just like theirs sail away as they were getting ready to leave Senor Frogs.

It looked like theirs because it was. Oh dear.

Archived