Only asked about jeans cause of my young children..response below...don't attack me!

lovemykids

Is it just because of a particular ship??

Sorry for causing any trouble......didn't know this was a sore subject. Yikes....:eek:

No.

Jeans, kids in the hot tubs, kids on cruises, smoking...the list goes on and on :D, but we do like a spirited debate now and again.

All I'll say is that you should picture a warm/hot, tropical atmosphere - lots of fun in the sun and warm sea breezes. Jeans just don't fit into that equation. Resort casual isn't denim. Not flaming, just trying to help.:)

So far, on either thread, I have not seen anyone attack you :confused: You will get many responses, and as I said, do a search... you will find plenty of answers there. But really, I have not seen anyone attack you, and i have SEEN some attacks! LOL! :eek:

All I'll say is that you should picture a warm/hot, tropical atmosphere - lots of fun in the sun and warm sea breezes. Jeans just don't fit into that equation. :)

You left out the absolutely frigid air conditioning that Carnival has. I always take several pair of jeans. I don't chose to wear them into the dining room but I change into them every night after dinner.

What I think it comes down to is...What are you most comfortable it? I love my jeans but there is a time and a place for them.The formal dining room is a little more dressy then your local Mc D's.But on the other hand How comfortable is your child or yourself going to be sitting in a monkey suit for three hours eating.If this in not a comforatble senario for you try the Lido restaurant.

I am not rich and can't afford alot of fancy clothes that I may only wear once.But it is a nice treat to get dressed up once in awhile and flirt with my DH like the old days when we dressed to impress.

The bottom line is really wear whatever you feel like and you may get a few stares and comment but hey! are you ever going to see these people again!

Good luck:)

I choose not to wear jeans. But I really find it funny people always say it is to hot to wear jeans in the carribean. Since I live in the south and it gets quite hot here also and I wear jean all summer and I have yet to explode from the heat :D

lovemykids, really I haven't seen anyone attack you personally, yet. Unbeknownst to you, this is one of the hottest topics on these boards and people can get down right mean when anyone even thinks about wearing jeans to the dining room. Everyone has an opinion and some are more vociferous than others. Some are pro, some con, and some are still straddling the fence on this subject. You're going to get all kinds of opinions. Please take them as opinions only and if you feel you are being attacked, ignore it (or hit the triangle on that post).

And you can call Carnival a dozen times and get a dozen different answers. Your safest bet is to follow the guidelines.

There are rules and there are guidelines but has anyone ever witnessed anyone (especially a child) being kicked out of the dining room for wearing jeans? Probably not.

BTW - for all the bashers waiting in the wings, my 10 and 13 boys do NOT wear jeans to the dining room.

There are rules and there are guidelines but has anyone ever witnessed anyone (especially a child) being kicked out of the dining room for wearing jeans?
Yes indeed! Back in the day, when the stated dress code actually meant something, and the Maitre'D wasn't just a gutless wonder with his hand stuck out on the last night of the cruise.

Heck-- I dont even see people getting kicked out for wearing shorts.

On one of my cruises a guy came in wearing one of those painted tux shirts on a tee shirt... and he was able to eat dinner in the dining room.

Really-- I dont think people pay much attention to what other people wear as much as people here think they do.

On your capers it states--no shorts or tank tops--nothing is stated about jeans or tee shirts.

But consider the dining room is a bit more upscale than what most kids are used to seeing. Its a great learning experience for kids.

I really find it funny people always say it is to hot to wear jeans in the carribean. Since I live in the south and it gets quite hot here also and I wear jean all summer and I have yet to explode from the heat :D

Hey Allen, I'm a lot more SOUTH than you, and I would never consider wearing jeans in the summer! No way. 100+ degree heat is strictly shorts weather down here.:D

LOL yes Cotton but are they Blue Jean shorts. Well I wear blue jeans to work all year round since I can and when they let me wear shorts to work then I will wear them also. Actually some can wear shorts since they dress out to work on the chemical side but since I work in a test lab Jeans do very nicely :)

But consider the dining room is a bit more upscale than what most kids are used to seeing. Its a great learning experience for kids.

I agree, Serene. And it would be nice if the kids were taught by example how to dress appropriately for dinner in a formal setting. (I don't just mean formal night.) Not only by attire, but in learning which utensils are to be used for which course! I've even seen adults wondering why all that silverware is there. Oh, where are you, Emily Post?:D

I have a question and please do not jump on me about it. We will be going on our 4th cruise in less than a week. I have never worn jeans in the dining room yet but thought about doing it this time because it is an 11 day cruise. I am a teenager and i would wear the jeans with a nice blouse and high-heeled shoes. Does anyone think that that is a bad thing to do? Oh yea, we are going to be on a Royal Caribbean ship.

Catie

I agree, Serene. And it would be nice if the kids were taught by example how to dress appropriately for dinner in a formal setting. (I don't just mean formal night.) Not only by attire, but in learning which utensils are to be used for which course! I've even seen adults wondering why all that silverware is there. Oh, where are you, Emily Post?:D
"X" conducts a "dining room etiqutte" class for the junior cruisers. It *should* be mandatory across *ALL* cruiselines. Of course, there's a few "adults" who would benefit as well. :rolleyes:

I have teenage boys and we just don't pack any jeans/t-shirts/basketball shorts. They wear "cruise" clothes, which, for us, means khaki type shorts, collared shirts and/or hawaiian type shirts during the day. In the evening, substitute khaki type pants for the shorts, and on formal nights, dress pants/shirt/tie/dress shoes. It's so nice to see them dressed neatly for a whole week! The pictures look great. And, when we get back home, they usually continue to wear their "cruise" clothes because they've learned to like them.

I have a question and please do not jump on me about it. We will be going on our 4th cruise in less than a week. I have never worn jeans in the dining room yet but thought about doing it this time because it is an 11 day cruise. I am a teenager and i would wear the jeans with a nice blouse and high-heeled shoes. Does anyone think that that is a bad thing to do? Oh yea, we are going to be on a Royal Caribbean ship.

Catie

Have you tried asking this on the Royal Caribbean board? I don't know anything about their suggested attire.

Heck-- I dont even see people getting kicked out for wearing shorts.

Serene, when we were on the Paradise my DH forgot to change into trousers for dinner one night. I was dressed in a dress, our three year old in khakis and a polo shirt and DH in a polo and dockers shorts. As soon as we entered the dining room the maitre d pulled DH aside and asked him to go change. The funny thing is that we knew the code, approve of the code and abide by the code. We just totally forgot!!! So yes the do step in at least some of the time.

Sorry my mistake about posting it on the carnival board. I was looking on the recent posts saw this one, clicked on it and just decided to post (i think that i thought that it was on the 'cruise fashions' board). Thats what i get for not paying attention to what i was doing.

Catie

Bwaveriders, If it's not formal night, I do not see a problem with wearing a nice looking pair of jeans and blouse to dinner. My husband wears jeans on casual night. I don't think it's been a problem for any one eles. I have seen other people do it to. We do dress up on semi formal and formal nights. Enjoy yourself and don't worry about what others think. We sail on both Carnival and RC. We don't do, dress or act differently on RC.

Carla

Archived