Shore Excursions for Vietnam and Thailand

johnami

We are going on a Seabourn cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore and looking for suggestions on recommended shore excursions. Ship's excursions are offered at Cai Lan (Hanoi), Halong Bay, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City and Bangkok. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

johnami,

We were going to do the kayaking in Halong bay but I think may be too difficult so we are doing 'Hanoi-yesterday & to day albeit long coach journey.

In Da Nang- the Imperial City of Hue.

Saigon- City orientation and the cultural evening/ dinner etc at night.

Following day Mekong river.

We are doing Angkor Wat.

We have been to Bangkok before-Seabourn do not appear to have that many interesting trips. Before we booked all ours from England on the net and everything went really welll with NO problems or concerns.

Have also contacted Gina @ Seabourn to see what 'personal ' tours they may be undertaking.

Kind regards,

Tony

We did the Mekong Delta trip. Be prepared for long bus jouneys to and from. Be prepared for climbing on and off very small boats. This is all in extreme heat and humidity. We were then taken for lunch, we actually saw the cooks chopping up the fish and chicken on the pathway into the cafe before they presented it on our plates.

It was one of those days we have tried to forget. All we can say is "been there, done that"

Everyone on the tour felt the same. I know we love to explore new countries and see their way of life.

Next time we would do more shopping, great for beaded work and find the little place up a side street that did foot massages one hour $2

We did the Mekong Delta trip. Be prepared for long bus jouneys to and from. Be prepared for climbing on and off very small boats. This is all in extreme heat and humidity. We were then taken for lunch, we actually saw the cooks chopping up the fish and chicken on the pathway into the cafe before they presented it on our plates.

It was one of those days we have tried to forget. All we can say is "been there, done that"

Everyone on the tour felt the same. I know we love to explore new countries and see their way of life.

Next time we would do more shopping, great for beaded work and find the little place up a side street that did foot massages one hour $2

We actually really enjoyed this trip when we did it a few years ago and are thinking of doing it again in February this year!

There is certainly nothing wrong with shopping while on vacation but the whole point of traveling to such different cultures is to experience them, the more different the better imo.

I think that shopping in souks and bazaars is a good way to experience local culture. I am not talking about the shopping malls in Dubai, for example. The Gap is the Gap everywhere. I often shop for wool for my niece, who is a terrific knitter. That has led me on some adventures and given me much pleasure. After a temple or three, a beaded bag is just the ticket.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I did the hong Kong to Singapore cruise last year. We did three of the ship sponsored excursions all of which I would highly recommend:

1) Siagon City Orientation--got a basic review of the city along with a water puppet show , a pedicab ride, and a stop at a lacquer shop (I usually hate these, but this one was great)..also History Museum and Reunification Hall. Trip left plenty of time to go to the market and wander around the city after being dropped off at the Rex Hotel by Seaboun free shuttle. This is a great place to shop if you're a shopper and you'lll want to leave time for that. The biggest shock was that my wife is 5'3'' and weights 98 pounds (sorry honey) and there she's a size medium!

2) Ancient Hoi An--World Heritage site...saw a silk factory (from worms to finished goods) and the town is interesting and fun. Time to shop at the kisoks...

3) Halong Bay--took a guided boat tour through Halong Bay. Saw two floating villages and the rock formations were awesome. It was a misty day and the trip was slightly surreal...still glad we did it (even driving past the "dog restaurant"!)

In Bangkok we were on a private tour arranged by a passenger that we met on board...wish I knew the details because he said the total cost was $150 for a driver, guide, and mini van. We did the Palace, jade and golden Buddha, MBK shopping mall and stopped for lunch at a Bangkok restaurant....

people on the cruise loved Ankor Wat and Hanoi seemed to be about 50/50 (long drive). I was interested in the "tunnels", but I'm clastrophobic and was advised that I probably wouldn't enjoy it given that.

That's about it. Really great trip, probably our best of 6 Seabourn cruises.

Archived