Torn Please Help

Hi- We will be in Sidney from 8-5, will I have enough time to drive the Cabot Trail or do I just go to Fort Louisberg?

Can I drive a beautiful portion of the trail and then turn around? If yes which portion shall I drive? I don't know what to do?

Thanks

Hi Pipedreams---when I see your avatar, I have come to expect a funny picture instead of a serious question. It will be like answering a question from an old friend.

The Cape Breton Highlands (Cabot Trail) are certainly breathtakingly beautiful but it takes a very full day to circumnavigate the trail. I would also be very hesitant to take a partial trip in the time you have available. You have to allow time to clear the ship and rent your car. It is at least a two hour drive from Sydney to just below Ingonish Beach where the entrance to the national park is located. The trail is two lanes and very twisty which equates to slow. You also have to allow the time to get back and return your car. If you are behind a slow moving car there aren't many places to pass. You wouldn't have much time to see part of the trail. It is really a dedicated trip in and of itself. If you pay for a ship's tour to the Trail, if it is foggy you will see nothing and will have wasted your money.

On the other hand--the Fortress of Louisbourg is a national treasure---also operated by Parks Canada. It is about a 45 minute drive from Sydney. When you arrive you have to park your car and walk to the reception centre. From there you will have to take a shuttle bus out to the fortress.

That process is repeated when you leave to come back. We are also talking about two lane roads---slow. You could really spend hours at the fortress. It is one of my favourite places in Nova Scotia and we plan to visit it when we stop in on the Eurodam in August.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/index_E.asp

I hope this link works for you.

If you decide to do the Fortress, bear in mind that is located out on an arm of land that is very often shrouded in fog and therefore quite cool. Even if it is very warm and sunny in Sydney, be sure to take sweatshirts or jackets to keep you warm in Louisbourg.

Hi Pipedreams---when I see your avatar, I have come to expect a funny picture instead of a serious question. It will be like answering a question from an old friend.

The Cape Breton Highlands (Cabot Trail) are certainly breathtakingly beautiful but it takes a very full day to circumnavigate the trail. I would also be very hesitant to take a partial trip in the time you have available. You have to allow time to clear the ship and rent your car. It is at least a two hour drive from Sydney to just below Ingonish Beach where the entrance to the national park is located. The trail is two lanes and very twisty which equates to slow. You also have to allow the time to get back and return your car. If you are behind a slow moving car there aren't many places to pass. You wouldn't have much time to see part of the trail. It is really a dedicated trip in and of itself. If you pay for a ship's tour to the Trail, if it is foggy you will see nothing and will have wasted your money.

On the other hand--the Fortress of Louisbourg is a national treasure---also operated by Parks Canada. It is about a 45 minute drive from Sydney. When you arrive you have to park your car and walk to the reception centre. From there you will have to take a shuttle bus out to the fortress.

That process is repeated when you leave to come back. We are also talking about two lane roads---slow. You could really spend hours at the fortress. It is one of my favourite places in Nova Scotia and we plan to visit it when we stop in on the Eurodam in August.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/index_E.asp

I hope this link works for you.

If you decide to do the Fortress, bear in mind that is located out on an arm of land that is very often shrouded in fog and therefore quite cool. Even if it is very warm and sunny in Sydney, be sure to take sweatshirts or jackets to keep you warm in Louisbourg.

Hi Sapper1- I was hoping YOU would be the one to answer my question.

and voila there you are. Would you recommend renting a car and driving to the fort myself? I've heard the ships tour does not give you enough time at the fort or does it? I almost never take ship excursions. I always like booking myself (I'm a frustrated travel agent) Thanks so much for all your help

Jay

and voila there you are. Would you recommend renting a car and driving to the fort myself? I've heard the ships tour does not give you enough time at the fort or does it? I almost never take ship excursions. I always like booking myself (I'm a frustrated travel agent) Thanks so much for all your help

Jay

I agree with Sapper. You can drive to about Ingonish and back but you really need more time to appreciate the Cabot Trail.

If you want to rent a car, the Fortress is very easy to find. Three streets up from the ship is George St, the main street through the city. With your back to the water head to the right and drive for about 45 minutes and you will be in Louisbourg. It's that easy. While the road is two lanes, it's wide with some passing lanes and a speed limit of around 50 MPH.

Jay

To be quite honest, we are torn on this decision ourselves. I don't know for sure but I am thinking that the ship's tour probably has pre-purchased passes which would eliminate standing in line for tickets, and that the tour busses are probably allowed to drive straight out to the fortress, which would eliminate the standing in line for a shuttle. All of this wastes precious time. Maybe someone local can confirm my suspicions re the tour busses as I have only been there by private car.

Either way there isn't enough time to slowly appreciate everything. I guess you just have to hit the highlights.

I am not too concerned about missing the ship here myself. I would be on home territory and could always pick it up again in Halifax the next day. It wouldn't be a great end to the day for us but it wouldn't be a disaster either.

Archived