2 yr old in specialty dining rooms

Brennbob

My DH and our 2 yr old DD are going on the NCL Star in April and I was wondering if anyone knows do they charge the same price for her or do they discount for kids. I know everyone says we should not take her to the specialty restaraunts but she is typically really good in these types of situations.:p

I wouldn't be surprised if they charge the same amount.

I wouldn't take a 2-year old into the dining room. The specialty dining rooms are very special for other passengers and no matter how well behaved the tot is, they'd probably not appreciate it. There are also other parents looking to have a break from their own kids at these restaurants.

On most line there is a minimum age to dine in the specialty restaurants. The Specialty restaurants are the cruise lines equivilent to 5 star dining. This is relaxed, dimly lit atmosphere with soft background music or a harpist. It is a lengthy dinner with lots of courses. It isn't appropriate to take a child that age. I have two kids and I wouldn't have taken them in there even if the cruise line allowed it.

But it is my understanding that they do allow children age 2 to attend the youth program and you could take your child there one night.

True Story from the recent Voyager 15 night TA in November-

We (myself, DH and DD age 5) sailed with my in-laws- different cabins thank god.

They decided to take the cruise to celebrate their 25th anniversary which was in January 2009 (second marraige BTW).

DH & I made reservations at Portofino's to treat them and celebrate their anniversary since we don't see them that often (we're on the east coast and they're in NM). Since the daily compass clearly states that guests over 13 are welcomed at Portofino's, we planned to put DD in the kids club while we ate, and that's what we did.

So image my shock and horror to discover that my inlaws want to treat us to Portofino's a few nights later but they've already spoken to the Maitre'd to get permission for their granddaughter to go, too.

She was well behaved, but I was mortified since I always follow rules, and try explaining that to a 5 year old - Wednesday night she couldn't go to the fancy restaurant but Friday night she could?

On NCL, children are welcome in the specialty restaurants. Sounds like yours would do fine and that, if she is having a bad time, you're the type of parents who would be considerate of others and remove her if necessary. Cagney's and Le Bistro are set up as more "adult" dining in nature, but as long as your DD behaves, there's no reason not to bring her.

If she/you order food for her off only the children's menu (same menu shipwide), then the policy has been that there will be no surcharge for her. If she/you order food for her off the specialty restaurant menu, then the policy has been to charge 50% of the fee. At her age, it's unlikely that she would eat a full meal off of most of the specialty menus. (I do think that when an 11 y/o orders the full meal off the specialty restuarant menu--and often eat even more than most adults--then it should be 100% of the surcharge, but that's not an issue for you.) Of course, it's possible that NCL has changed their policy and charge the full amount, but I doubt it. Be aware that Teppanyaki is tiny, tiny, tiny, only seats a few pax, and has set dining times each night. You would be allowed to dine there with her (as far as I know), but, if you do, then I suggest the earliest time for many reasons.

NCL's children's program starts at age 2, so no worries there. She will not need to be potty trained, but you will be required to come and change diapers as the kids crew are not allowed to under any circumstances. They'll give you a pager. She will not be allowed in the pools unless she is fully potty trained; no swim diapers (just in case you didn't know). OTOH, if she is fully potty trained when you cruise, wonderful. You may decide to take her to dinner at the buffet early and then let her attend the early evening kids club program while you and your DH have a nice adults time at dinner in Le Bistro or Cagney's. Dinner usually takes 1-1/2 to 2 hours if you go at the leisurely pace. The waitstaff can hurry your dinner if your DD is with you and you don't think she will enjoy (or be able to handle) a long experience. IMO, that's a long time for even the best behaved 2-y/o to sit properly and quietly, but only you know your DD.

Have a fantastic time.

beachchick

beachchick is correct. If kids order off the kids' menu, there is no charge.

Just a reminder for some of the other posters, NCL is very different than most other cruiselines as far as dining is concerned. They have 10 or so dining venues on each ship, and many of them are not at all like the specialty restaurants on RCCL and other lines. On NCL, Johnny Rockets would be considered a specialty restaurant. NCL restaurants include restaurants which are more casual than the main dining room like Mexican, tepanyaki (like Bennihana) and Italian. It's totally normal for kids to go to the specialty restaurants on NCL; maybe not the French restaurant or the steakhouse, but absolutely for all the others.

Archived