Tendering into port

SeafordCruiser

Recently, from the time the tender left the ship until it tied up at the dock was about 15 minutes for us. The tenders are relatively high speed and with good air circulation. We went in on a catamaran which was very stable at speed, and went out on a fairly narrow single hulled boat, but it too did well. That day the waves were basically perpendicular to our course, so not much rocking action.

Just back from the Valor - and it was about 15 minutes on the open water. They go very fast, so there is not the rolling motion from side to side, but if they hit a wake from another boat the bow would go up and down.

The reef is pretty far off the shore of Belize, which means 1) unless there's high wind, shouldn't be much wave action, 2) the big ships have to anchor at fair intervals in deep spots. That's why tender time will vary, although 15-20 min seems about typical.

For me it was a somewhat memorable part of the experience. The Belize horizon is low, so after a bit you were in a completely flat seascape with huge ships scattered here and there. The day was windless and the air so full of moisture that, although it was perfectly clear, all the ships faded into a soft focus in the distance. Maybe next time I go back I'll just tender back and forth all day, it's free.

Archived