UptoDate Flight Timetable for Maho Plane Viewing

jccruiser

wow, thanks for the great link.

do you know how long it takes to get to and back from Maho Beach?

i heard the traffic can get really bad in the afternoon. i'm thinking to stay till 3pm and get to the ship on time. my ship leaves at 5pm. Reasonable?

No. You are cutting it close, because of heavy traffic and open drawbridges. If the ship leaves at 5 they pull the gangway at 4:30 PM. I would leave at 2:30, 2:45 the latest.

Going there it takes 35-50 minutes. Afternoons coming back it can be brutal.

We were at Maho about a week and a half ago. The 747 is scheduled in around 1:30 pm each day, it got there close to 2:00 that day. There were plenty of other planes to watch while waiting for that one. We left about 2:30, which gave us plenty of time to get back to Phillipsburg, pick up the ring we had purchased earlier that was being sized, do a little more shopping and water taxi back to the ship with plenty of time to spare, back on board before 4:30, I believe.

Hmmm - we won't be there until May - and from last year's low season - sure doesn't look like there's many flights on Tuesdays - which is when we are going to be there. I guess we'll know more when the low season 2009 flights are posted.

I would have to add-- travel time would depend onhow many ships are in port. On February 12th there are 6 ships. no way would i wait til 3pm toleave from maho beach to be back on the ship before 4:30- that would be entirely too stressful

We were there in November.... took us approx 20-25 minutes. It was a really neat adventure. My husband said it was his favorite of the cruise. Him and another gentleman would run and stand below plane then run back before plane put thrusters on so they would not get blown back toward water. It was a great experience.

We were there in November.... took us approx 20-25 minutes. It was a really neat adventure. My husband said it was his favorite of the cruise. Him and another gentleman would run and stand below plane then run back before plane put thrusters on so they would not get blown back toward water. It was a great experience.

How much was the cab from the ship to Maho Beach?

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any places for lunch around this area? I know that the Sunset had closed and then from what I read, was totally destroyed by a hurricane. Any suggestions?

The Sunset is reopened (at least it was open when we were there mid-January), and had food.

Is there any places for lunch around this area? I know that the Sunset had closed and then from what I read, was totally destroyed by a hurricane. Any suggestions?

Gordon -

The Sunset was taken over by another operator and rebuilt after the hurricane hit. It is fully operational now. There is also another smaller beach bar on the other side of the road but nobody ever talks about it here.

Gordon -

The Sunset was taken over by another operator and rebuilt after the hurricane hit. It is fully operational now. There is also another smaller beach bar on the other side of the road but nobody ever talks about it here.

Well, I talk about it here all the time. It is Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar , and I've promoted it for nearly three years on this board. I'm not sure how the Cruise Critic search function works, but try clicking on this search link.

This is from my latest post, from a couple of days ago:

Lots of mystery and island intrigue here.

The earlier (not original) SunSet Beach Bar (SSBB) did, indeed, go through a forced sale. The website for the SSBB is still alive and trying to sell some merchandise.

After the sale, the property re-opened as the Sunset Bar and Grill, which I believe is still open for business. Their website is basically 'Under Construction'.

The website for the earlier version says something about a re-opening date of May 2009. There is speculation on the island that this timing has something to do with the statute of limitations or court order which prevented the (earlier) owner from returning to the island.

Bottom line is that there is a bar at Maho with some variation of the Sunset name that is open for business.

If all else fails, visit Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar on the other side of the runway. Same view and cheaper drinks.

gary

The Sunset is reopened (at least it was open when we were there mid-January), and had food.

Gordon -

Thanks. I wasn't aware that it had reopened. May try it out in April.

Archived