Have your kids gotten seasick?

jgonzalez

I have 3 kids and have cruised 5 times with them and they have never gotten sick. I would probably not just medicate them just "in case" unless your kids have a chronic problem of getting nauseated when they ride in a car or something like that???? I'm sure they will be fine!

No, they have never had problems with carsickness, so hopefully they will be fine. I just want to be prepared. I had never had seasickness problems on the first 3 cruises my husband and I did. Then in October, on our 4th one, I started feeling bad right after we left port. Of course I had not packed anything since I had never had problems before!:eek: Thank goodness for the Purser's desk and the motion sickness meds!!:)

My younger son got a bit seasick on our first cruise to Alaska. We had some pretty moderate waves the one day and he was "dizzy". I had brought original Dramamine and so I gave him half a dosage. I brought Dramamine because it was able to be used by 6 and up and I didn't want to take too many types of meds that we possibly wouldn't need. The Dramamine made him very sleepy. Luckily I only had to give it to him that one day. On our second cruise I took Children's Bonin with us in case he needed it and he didn't, even though we had pretty rough seas the one day.

The first night out on our cruise last summer, we had 70-mph winds and 25-ft seas in a far-forward cabin. Wahoo. Both girls (3 and 5) slept through the night but threw up in the AM shortly after waking. (My 13YO son was fine.) The *entire* ship was sick though--it would have been comical if it wasn't so awful. I gave the girls crackers, green apples, and maybe a little medication (I was completely doped up, so can't quite recall;)) and they were fine from then on. So, my advice would be to be prepared just in case but don't worry too much. Have some fruit/crackers in the cabin so they can get something in their tummies right away when they wake up. Seasickness is much more likely on an empty stomach.

The 6 year old can have Children's formula Bonine. The 3 year old can't. I always take some but they have never needed it.

I would call the peds office and ask them. Generally, the medicine in Dramamine/Bonine is an anti-histamine. So if your 3 year old got really sick, you could use Children's Benedryl (liquid). Some kids get wiped out and some get wired on Benedryl...but if the child was really sick, then at least you would have something on hand.

But the best one to ask is your ped. :)

but we just got back today and my 9 YO woke up the first night and threw up (luckily I got the trash can just in time). She started feeling sick right before bed the second night as well, so we gave her Bonine those nights and every subsequent evening. She did fine. My 14 YO felt a little quesy this time and took a couple ginger tablets.

You have all been so helpful! Thanks! I probably will call and check with the pediatrician to see what they advise. I really don't want them to have a bad trip if I can do something to prevent seasickness. I don't know about everyone else, but I can take any sickness my kids have, just not throwing up! :eek:

Archived