whacky way to get hold of your money

m steve

We booked 2 cabin for a Feb cruise last Sept. When we made the final payment in Nov the TA removed the fuel surcharge from our payment since HAL had dropped this charge. Yesterday I found a charge on my credit card for over $200 and when I called the agent they told me that HAL required them to send the full amount including the now cancelled surcharge and that I would get this back as an OBC. I already had several hundred$ OBC on my account and didn't need this. It's only a 7 day cruise. I wonder if I can get a refund when I board or take it as a cash advance.

You should get anything remaining from your fuel supplement credit back in cash at the end of the voyage. I tried to lookup the HAL website but the page concerning the latest fuel supplement information appears to be a broken link and is not appearing. The web address is : http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/Advisories.action

We did holiday sailing on Ryndam and we too had extra shipboard credits even after all tips and incidentals were deducted. We had $1.16 credit that they called me to the front desk morning of disembarkation to collect. I said that's ok we knew we had a little left just write it off and they said no we had to collect or they couldn't clear us off the ship. Nice to know they were keeping track of all debits and credits. Maybe you will want to buy something extra in the gift shop but it is perfectly fine to collect money and bring it home with you.

Have a great sailing

Mary

This past October on the Ryndam I had the same thing happen. I had received my final statement, which showed a credit of something like

a dollar, and didn't thing a thing about it until the phone call to please

come to the Front Desk to clear my account. They said that they

had to balance to the penny and I had to get my refund. They gave it

back to me in coins along with a receipt.

after 2 months since I paid my balance and about 2 weeks before we sail, why did they need to collect money they intend to return once I am on the ship?

Steve.......they are hoping you'll see the huge OBC, and use it all up.........;)

BTW........Have you sampled any of the Martinique rum?

The following is copied from HAL's website:

As fuel prices continue to decline, Holland America Line has announced that it will suspend fuel supplements effective for all voyages departing on or after December 17, 2008.

A refund of the fuel supplement will be made in the form of a shipboard credit for all bookings within the final payment period for departures on or after December 17, 2008. All bookings outside of the final payment period for departures on or after December 17, 2008 will be adjusted to remove the fuel supplement and guests will be provided with a revised final payment amount.

Final payment for my April cruise is not due for another couple of weeks. The fuel surcharge was removed my booking, so I don't have to "worry" about spending an OBC. :D

When we made the final payment in Nov the TA removed the fuel surcharge from our payment since HAL had dropped this charge.

A refund of the fuel supplement will be made in the form of a shipboard credit for all bookings within the final payment period for departures on or after December 17, 2008.

There you go, Steve. Looks like your TA is the one who made the mistake. At final payment in Nov, the fuel surcharge should have been collected.

I'm gonna guess, but that's all it is, HAL may have gone back to your TA to request the $$ for the fuel supplement. If so, the TA should have notified you. Regardless, WHOEVER processed that additional transaction should have informed you at that time. That's just not right.

If it were me, I might have a chat w/the TA or manager of the agency.

You'll still be refunded unused $$, but its a pain in the you-know-what to have to wait until your cruise ends to get it back. :(

Archived