2 Week Cruise.. how to pack?

mystic5091

My husband and I are taking a 2 week european cruise (Celebrity Summit) and have no idea how to pack for such a long trip. We have been on 2 other cruises both to the caribbean and both times we have felt that we still hadn't packed right. Any suggestions for packing for 2 weeks in europe? I should note.. we have also never been to europe.

Thanks for the help!

What do you mean by "packing right"? Did you have too much, too little, not the right clothes for the weather???

You can check Weather.com for the averages in the places you'll be, so you'll know what KIND of clothing to bring. You can wear things more than once, in most cases (unless you spill alot!!)--no one will notice or care!

You'll need walking shoes for Europe--you'll do alot more walking than in the Caribbean! And don't forget about visiting churches there--some have fairly strict "dress requirements" for entering the churches. (No shorts, no sleeveless, etc...)

Here are my "rules" when I am packing:

• everything has to go with at least one other item (i.e., every top has to match at least two bottoms, and vice versa)
  • I plan to wear everything at least twice, except for my formals
  • to plan for cooler weather, I bring layering clothes
  • the ship's laundry is my friend :)

When we went on our 12-night transatlantic last spring I brought:

- one pair of jeans (they were cleaned twice)

- two pairs of capris (cleaned once)

- black & khaki day pants (each cleaned once)

- a pair of black tuxedo pants (wore these on 4 evenings)

- a pair of shorts (cleaned once)

- a cotton skirt that would work for day or evening

- my formals

- plus workout clothes, underwear, etc.

Then I brought different tops that matched everything, a short evening jacket (we were sailing in early April), a sweater, a hoodie and a short trench coat. I also only brought four pairs of shoes (a pair that went with everything I would wear at night, a pair of black leather walking shoes, a pair of sandals and my running shoes).

I've found the best process is to lay everything out on the bed then mix and match everything. There are always items that I just love that don't make the cut! You have to be pretty brutal and know that people will see you in the same thing twice (not that most people notice, and if they do - who cares!).

One thing I'd suggest is to do a mix and match wardrobe. Make sure that several tops go with all your bottoms. Also, if you have more than one formal night, it's best to have a long black skirt and 2 tops. Or any solid neutral color bottom and 2 different tops to go with it. Make them look different by wearing different jewelry. Suggestion: 1 black skirt, 1 red top, 1 silver top. With the red top, wear red earrings and with the silver top wear silver jewelry. Or make it a lacy white top and silver jewelry. The possibilites are endless. For casual wear, suppose you had navy pants. Then bring a white top, a tan top and maybe a floral top. Bring along black pants and the same tops will go with that. Also, I use space bags - the type you roll up.

My husband and I are taking a 2 week european cruise (Celebrity Summit) and have no idea how to pack for such a long trip. We have been on 2 other cruises both to the caribbean and both times we have felt that we still hadn't packed right. Any suggestions for packing for 2 weeks in europe? I should note.. we have also never been to europe.

Thanks for the help!

Mix and match - that's definitely the way to go! PS - I hope the Summit is in good shape - we were on that ship in 2007 to Hawaii and it was in desperate need of some TLC!

Mix and match - that's definitely the way to go! PS - I hope the Summit is in good shape - we were on that ship in 2007 to Hawaii and it was in desperate need of some TLC!

We were on Summit in April of '08 and she was in great shape - plus this was the week before dry dock when they did a deep cleaning, changed out carpets and generally spruced things up.

Archived